search.babylon! hit by this nasty!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4239 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thankyou for your help S-G1 that did do the trick ! sadly i think the damage had been done, i have been trying to prepare a new hard drive, as i knew mine was on it's way out, when i came to run the machine it will only show -system 32 file missing and a black screen, i have a new hard drive but it was a bit too quick for me and caught me out! so it's decision time, i have been using Xp, but wonder if there is a better system, chrome? firefox? any suggestions welcome guys please, my main worry now is all my letters etc on microsoft word, which are not replaceble! would anyone know if i can get these back? i am using a spare pc at mo, and my backup drive is playing up as well, Thanks again SG1 spot on advice! regards Ro

Thanks, I am a bit of a dab hand at resurrecting hard drives running XP.

Instead of XP you want to try Linux and then use Mozilla Thunderbird for emails and PDF Lite for reading PDF files.

I don't know much about Linux but I know it does run on older machines.

Google Chrome as a browser is okay but it has its faults, especially on slower processors.

You should be able to get the MS stuff back, again by using the Restore function it should have taken your disc back to when you had problems.

Once you boot your pc, look at the stuff in your My Docs folder and transfer them to a CD, then you will deffo have them available for future use.

You can download Ubuntu, which is a really friendly version of linux, burn that to a CD and boot off that CD. You should then be able to access your old files on your hard drive, and save them to a memory stick if you have one. Ubuntu is less bulky than microsoft OS's so it's nice on older systems and comes with Openoffice which is compatable with MS Office. If you like it when it's running off the CD, you can install it and use as your main OS.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

I am thinking of using Ubuntu on my older little laptop, but it doesn't have a CD drive - I suppose I could transfer the files via my home network.

However seeing as it behaves itself nicely I am reluctant to make any change just for the sake of it. It gets used as a backup PC at the moment and I take it with me when I fix other people's XP systems as I can transfer files from it to theirs.

you can install or test it from a USB aswell, I was sugesting CD for the OP as then they have a disc to restore from permenantly incase things go wrong in the future... people tend to wipe USB sticks after they're done with them. :)

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

lol prep a USB stick in advance, try your main PC/laptop on it (you don't need to install anything) and familiars yourself with it. You will be able to do the basics (surf the web, use office) immediately, but the hard drive tools are very good to know, and sometimes take a little practice.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Thanks for this info S-G1, locutus, i will start making some changes in the future, The immediate problem i have is getting back my microsoft word, i was part way through using system restore when screen came up with system 32 files missing, or similar! My main PC is an ADVENT, which come with 5 installation/repair cd,s which are created when the machine is new, in theory i should be able to get my P C repaired back to a previous date, with the cd's, however i dont have the confidence to do this, i do need another Hard Drive, fresh install, and think i will have to take it to a pc guy, i have so many important ducuments i cannot risk losing,However i recently saw a post from Coniff i think , about re-installing windows repair or update 'over the programs! using the number off the side of a pc, ! which would be the best option, but again no confidence, I think the damage done to my PC was probably self inflicted by downloading speedypc a divice manager, and mobile phone, programs, one of which had babylon, and failing to realise my back up drive was not working properly.unless i can magig back the system 32 missing files!which would be good if i could! Regards Ro

Your concern should be your word documents... you can install the program from your install disks later.

Like I said, download and burn ubuntu to a CD and boot your PC from that CD. Then backup all your files onto a USB if you have one.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar