• Tweets

• There is a letter offering  HM Court and Tribunals Mediation by telephone Does anyone use this? Its free
    • Morning guys As Bank suggested, I've now re-worked my POC to include details of my parcel's original loss,  miraculous rediscovery a month later and subsequent delivery, albeit having been opened and the contents removed. Grateful for your thoughts please, as (P2G having gone very quiet) I intend to initiate court proceedings against P2G tomorrow - 1 May. Claim Claim number: xxxxx Reference: P2G MAY 2024   Claimant xxxxx   Defendant Parcel2Go 1A Parklands Lostock Bolton BL6 4SD  Particulars of Claim The defendant failed to arrange for the safe delivery of the claimant's parcel containing 8 second-hand golf clubs (valued at £265) that was sent to a UK address using their delivery service (P2G Reference xxxxx). The defendant contracted Evri to deliver the parcel (Evri Reference xxxxx) and whilst Evri collected the parcel for delivery on 18 March 24 they then ‘misplaced’ it a day later, formally declaring it lost on 27 March. On 16 April they found it and delivered it on 17 April but, at some point before delivery, it had been opened and the contents removed . The defendant refuses to reimburse the claimant on the grounds that the claimant did not purchase their secondary insurance contract. The defendant seeks to exclude their liability in breach of section 57 Consumer Rights Act. The secondary insurance contract is also in breach of section 72. The claimant seeks reimbursement of £265, plus P2G fees of £9.10, plus postage costs for two first class letters to P2G of £2.70, plus court fees, plus interest. The claimant claims interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from xxxxx to xxxxxx on £276.80 and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of £xxxx   Details of claim Amount claimed £276.80  
    • Odd one this, I recieved 2 notice's for the 18th and 19th April stating that I overstayed on Wigan Robin Retail Park. Permitted Minutes 180. They state I was there 355 minutes on the 18th and 388 minutes on the 19th. Both times I was there around 10 minutes getting my wife a brew from costa after dropping the kids off at school.  On both days I had passed through there a second time around 3pm, again to get a brew then left. Both notices have 2 images each, Entrance and exit.  This is the interesting bit. The Entrance images both timestamped actually clearly show I am exiting the retail park not entering it. And the exiting images they provided show me leaving the carpark after visiting a second time later in the day. In the attachments You'll see all 4 images show that I am exiting, none of them are of me entering. I understand most if not all that see this post won't know the area but if the look at the map link i gave you'll see the road I was on leading up to the main road. g24 ltd 1.pdfg24 ltd 1.pdf GoogleMap view of the road I am on in the entrance images I would have had dashcam footage but I since formatted the memory card. I tried recovery tools but I couldn't get the files back.  
    • An update: I just got another PCN. I get the feeling that someone in the residence is calling OPS, as it's dated for a few mins after I parked. I won't appeal of course. Interestingly, our cleaner was also parked but didn't get a PCN. I asked them why and apparently they're whitelisted. I did ask the MA if they could whitelist me and they said they couldn't. Clearly they decided not to tell the truth. Surely, this would resolve all of the issues entirely i.e. we'd keep non-residents from parking, whilst allowing for residents to park without issue? Also, could OPS now take me to court for both PCNs separately, or could it be one case?    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Possible unfair suspension

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4219 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

Bit confusing this but hopefully it will all make sense....

I work for a warehousing company and had an accident on an item of MHE on Friday 14th September. I work nights and the incident happened towards the end of my shift Friday morning. I returned to work on the Sunday (work Sun-Thurs) and completed the paperwork. I was told by my supervisor that he had discussed it with the Ops manager and the Ops manager said no further action to be taken. Subsequently, the Contract Manager told another supervisor on another shift that no action was to be taken, before relaying the same message to my Supervisor and I continued to work as normal. On Tuesday 2nd October, I was told at the start of my shift that I was to be suspended for this incident. I received a letter this morning inviting me to attend an investigatory meeting this afternoon which I did. I now believe I may be dismissed for this incident. My questions to anyone that can help me are:

1) Can a company wait over 2 weeks to suspend me (bearing in mind the Ops manager was actually on site for the Sunday after the incident, and indeed for the rest of that week, did not know of the incident, and told me personally that there was no reason to suspend me or take further action as it was a genuine accident)

2) I was due to be suspended on the 1st October but was on annual leave. I have been made aware that the news of my suspension was discussed by numerous colleagues on the Monday and Tuesday before I found out myself Tuesday evening. I believe most, if not all, of the employees in the warehouse knew I was to be suspended before I did. Can I do anything about this?

3) I am under a final written warning for another accident (5 months to go), which I wholly believe was incorrectly given and my appeal was unsuccessful - my grounds were dismissed without being discussed and the meeting descended into a surreal discussion about parked cars!. However, there are numerous legal grounds for believing the warning should not have been upheld. Is there any grounds to have the original warning discarded from this investigation?

4) The company I work for is involved in 3rd Party Logistics and the customer has high volumes of work at month-ends and low volumes at the start of a month. Could I suggest/infer that the suspension has been timed to allow for me to work during the high-volume period (I am held in high-regard amongst the supervisors as someone who works hard and does numerous hours of overtime)

5) There is talk on site that my investigation is only being held now due to another accident on site last week and the HSE being involved due to the seriousness of it. Whilst almost impossible to prove, the timing seems coincidental at best

Any help would be most appreciated

1. yes

2. no

3. no

4. if you like but it won;t make a bit of a difference

5. and?

You need to not get bogged down in other issues and focus on yourself.

If your prior appeal failed and you did not lodge an ET at the time - I am afraid that is tough, you cannot have the decision revised now.

I would concentrate on proving you were not at fault for THIS accident. That is all you can spend your effort on that will be worthwhile. Harsh, but I think accurate. if you want to talk a little more about the incident we may be able to help more.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Thanks for the answers emmzzi

Altobelli - yes, still suspended. As mentioned in OP, was invited in for an Investigation meeting last Friday but not heard anything since then. The reason given for the suspension was "pending an investigation into an alleged accident". However, I was told verbally that the investigation was completed on the 16th September (2 days after the accident). Not sure it makes a difference but the letter I was given informing me of my suspension (dated 2nd October) states that I was "notified verbally on the 14th September" - this was the date of the accident and I was certainly not informed of any suspension (possible or otherwise!). Further, it was on the 16th that I was informed there would be no suspension so that part confuses me somewhat

I have an additional question - according to the letter, as I normally work nights, I must make myself available during normal office hours (which I have done) but on Friday, I will not be available as I'm away for the weekend and this was booked months ago. Also, I will not be in the country from Monday through to Wednesday (Friday is a rest day normally and the Monday-Wednesday is annual leave) and this was also booked some months ago. Am I allowed to rearrange any meeting or would it be deemed that I'm breaking the terms of my suspension by not being available. The letter of suspension states that being unavailable due to unauthorised leave is a disciplinary offence so bit confused about the Friday!

it's authorised leave, isn't it? So I would just remind them.

(Actually I wouldn#t, I'd cancel and go in but then I am a worrier!)

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

The Monday-Wednesday is authorised leave. I'm more confused about the Friday one - is not being available on what is normally my rest day breaking the terms of the suspension whereby I have to be available during office hours?

I'm certain they're going to dismiss me anyway so not too fussed about cancelling just to find out for certain!

Don't be so certain that you will be dismissed - if you are held in high regard, then it may be that your superiors are arguing about a way of keeping you in employment, although you might well have to accept retraining or an alternative sanction to dismissal.

Obviously I don't know about the circumstances of your accident, but I have seen a scenario which might have a relevant parallel. Many years ago we had an employee who had a 'misjudgement' in using a piece of equipment and he injured himself quite severely. He too was on a warning for a previous 'misjudgement' which did not involve an injury, but a fairly significant inconvenience to the business, but was a genuinely hard worker and was very well though of. No action was taken over the injury incident until HSE pointed out to us that the employee was entirely at fault - risk assessments were in place to cover the activity and he had not complied with clear instructions in using the equipment (for which he had received proper training). On the strength of that he was disciplined, and already being on a warning should have been dismissed but we opted for a lesser sanction in the light of previous good conduct. Basically we negotiated a very temporary demotion, retraining and then reinstatement to his original position after a nominal period.

I hope you keep your job, but the above tale may explain some of the questions that you have. It is possible that they are having to be SEEN to be acting to correct behaviour which led to a potentially damaging incident (and which resulted in your injury). There is no such thing as a genuine 'accident' - there is always a causal factor which could have prevented it irrespective of blame, and this may have only become apparent when an investigation took place - quite probably being prompted (quite legitimately) by HSE recommendations.

Agree with Emmzi on the other points. Unjust perhaps, but not unlawful, and little that you can do. Stress your remorse where appropriate, accept guidance, training, bending over for a caning as applicable and things might not be as black as you think. If you are not generally a troublemaker, work hard and don't usually create problems for them, then so long as they can have confidence that you won't be in this position again any time soon, then it may be of more benefit to keep you there.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Hi, I agree with emmzzi's and Sidewinder's last posts. However, I would also put in writing the fact that you received no notification on 14th September that you would be suspended and were told on 16th September that you wouldn't be suspended, with as much specific detail as possible. You may need to refer to this at a later date, and it looks as if the employer is trying to re-write history and this needs to be corrected. It would be better if the suspension is lifted if it is uneccesary and you were able to return to work.