UK debt living abroad after 10 years. Feeling wretched.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4235 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ahh,that has just made me smile. I hope I can sleep a bit easier than I have been doing. Just take a deep breath & wait to see what tomorrow’s post brings.

You could send your response in Japanese !

愚かであることを止め、離れて行って下さい。

あなたが法的強制力のある債務であることの証拠を持っている場合は、これを提供してください。

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That back translates as: " Stop that stupid, please go away.

If you have evidence that you are legally enforceable obligations, please provide this."

I do like the first part in particular but I have a feeling that I will probably be back on here asking for a template with slightly more appropriate wording!

Update: still waiting :| I know it was posted the end of last week so if it doesn't get here tomorrow I’ll be even more worried than I already am :-( I really hope they don't send anything else there in the next few days or even worse a doorstep collector or something. Ugh.

I'd just like to echo what Cerberus has said. You are worrying over nothing. Nothing can happen and you won't be chased.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Sorry you must think I’m a right pain in the whatsit with all this. Just hard to think clearly at the moment. They only left it a week between sending 2 letters so I’ve no idea when they might send another. Keep your fingers crossed that this time tomorrow I’ll be back in with something a bit more concrete.

The reason you are worried is because youve had no prior experience of this and no knowledge of what to do. We have and we can advise exactly what to do.

• Confused 1

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

It is not as if it is that urgent, as you have been out of the country for over 10 years !

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Wouldnt matter if it was urgent UncleB. Theres absolutely nothing a creditor can do to enforce the debt. As mentioned a few times, the OP should push this issue completely out of their mind and get on enjoying their life.

Hi guys. Still waiting on the post today & I know you've told me countless times not to worry but it's just that it's the first time in 10 years since I left that this is happening,and I know that there's no limit to the letters they'll send there. Mail has never gone missing to me from the UK before,this is a fine time to start:-(

Hi guys. Still waiting on the post today & I know you've told me countless times not to worry but it's just that it's the first time in 10 years since I left that this is happening,and I know that there's no limit to the letters they'll send there. Mail has never gone missing to me from the UK before,this is a fine time to start:-(

Perhaps your relative did not forward by air mail and it is on a slow boat to China (sorry Japan) !

As you say this is the first time in 10 years you have heard anything, which is a very good sign, as if this was a priority debt, you would have been getting letters thoughout the years. I suspect that some foreign owned debt collection agency, who buy debts for peanuts, have just decided to send a couple of letters on the off chance, that you may still be around and are ignorant of such things as statute barring.

It would be really funny, if it just turned out to be a letter from Readers Digest to tell you that you been very lucky to have been selected to enter a prize draw and your lucky numbers will follow in the post shortly.

Sent by airmail apparently! I don't know,it’s the first time in 10 years anything has turned up *there* but I had no accounts registered there,I wasn't living at this address permanently for another 10 years prior to that. It would’ve been easy enough to track me there though as it was the previous address I used when opening the accounts.In my head all I really want to do is just let whoever it is know that I’m living out here & not there…for starters.

I should be so lucky to win on the Reader’s Digest lottery or whatever it is…

Its more than likely a fishing letter. Even when debts are no longer enforceable, you still get bottom of the barrel DCA's chancing their luck on an ill-informed debtor.

Aw no I had my hopes up for the Reader’s Digest now :razz:

I know I’m driving you lot mad with this & I feel like I owe you several tipples of your choice…

I would like to know though,say a CCJ had been obtained at my old address (the original one I mean,not my mum’s) this might be trying to collect on it possibly,right?

All of this is exactly why I would never advise anyone to do what I did…I found out I have a conscience too late in life:-x

It doesnt matter if they do try to collect. If it hsa been 6 years clear with no communication or enforcement attempts or payment, then UK law comes into play. And unless the creditor as a VERY good reason why they never attempted collection in 6 YEARS, then they wont get enforcement orders or an extension.

Again, i will re-iterate what is being said in this thread. You are worrying over nothing.

Gah,I suppose I’m just worried in case any possible 6yr period hasn't elapsed.

Anyway,it’s 7pm here now & I’m going to enjoy a cheapo bevvy or 2 because it's Saturday & I’ve had a nerve wracking week so enjoy your weekend weekend guys :-)

Even if the 6 year period hasnt elapsed, theres nothing that can happen since you havent been a resident of the UK for years

Ok so the letter turned up & basically it's a verification letter addressed to me at my mum’s address from Buchanan Clark & Wells not saying anything about who the debt is to (though they do use a reference number which looks suspiciously like my old cc number…erk) I suspect the full details are in that 2nd letter they sent. Advice as how to go on from here?