• Tweets

• Thank you again. I'm hoping it will come out in the wash and will endeavour to check my online account. I'm a bit unsettled by not hearing from Booking.com but the host is sounding helpful at the moment. HB
    • I've just remembered that a friend of mine had bookings cancelled on Booking.com about a month ago - and the good news is that all worked out in the wash. I'm at work now but will scribble properly in a couple of hours with the full tale.
    • Thank you Dave. I've had nothing from Booking.com, just a message via the site from the host. I know I need to check my bank account, just trying to resolve some technical issues. HB  
    • Which Court have you received the claim from ? Civil National Business Centre Name of the Claimant ? JC INTERNATIONAL AQUISITION How many defendant's  joint or self ? Self Date of issue – 22 May 2024  Particulars of Claim What is the claim for – 1. The def owes the claimant £300 in respect of gas and electricity charges supplied by OVO. 2. Debt was assigned to the claimant with notice given to the def. 3. Despite formal demand the def has failed to pay the debt and the claimant claims £300 and further claims interest pursuant to s69 of the CCA 1984. What is the total value of the claim? £385 Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) ? Yes   Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred? No   Is the claim for - a Bank Account (Overdraft) or credit card or loan or catalogue or mobile phone account? Energy debt When did you enter into the original agreement before or after April 2007 ? After Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ? Moved home and they were the current energy supplier  Is the debt showing on your credit reference files (Experian/Equifax/Etc...) ? No Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim. Debt assigned to JC International Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? Not sure probably  Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? Again can't remember but probably  Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ? No Why did you cease payments? Changed supplier What was the date of your last payment? Never  Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved? No Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? No
    • Their FAQs state - Cancellations and modifications If your booking has been cancelled, Booking.com refunds you immediately. The processing time may take 7 to 10 days and depends on your bank. If you have questions, contact your bank directly. I'm a regular Booking.com and AirBnB user.  The former have never cancelled.  The latter have and my money was refunded immediately (not that that helps you as we're not talking about AirBnB!) Best to check with your bank and see (a) if you did pay in advance and (b) if it has been refunded. Also, have you received a message from Booking.com officially stating the cancellation?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Caught using partner's student oyster on london bus - ** SETTLED **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3150 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I'm new to this and have been reading some similar situations and would like some help and advice.

My situation:

I picked up my partner's student oyster by accident one morning in a hurry thinking it was my oyster as both had same wallet.

I used it on a bus then had to change bus due to nature of journey.

I then noticed that it wasn't mine and had a fumble in my pocket to see if mine was there

which it was.

When the bus came, I got on and don't know what possessed me

but of course I did the studpid thing and touched in with his card.

Towards the end of my journey one of those ticket officers came on board

and asked to check my ticket so I touched his card on the machine.

Then she asked to see the photocard and not knowing what to say I said it didn't have a photo!

But of course I showed the card and it had his photo.

I told her it was my partner's but I had my own discounted card

and showed it to her, and told her his card was a yearly pass.

Next I received a letter from TFL stating that legal proceedings may be taken against me and if I had any comments to make.

in an attempt to salvage his card as he needed it

I wrote to TFL apologising that I had made a mistake and am sorry.

However I mentioned that I didn't realised I was using it which was a lie

but it was an attempt to get his card returned.

As this is the first time something like this happened

I didn't know that the card wouldn't be returned regardless.

Now I have received a court summons for October 2nd.

Alleged offence:

being a passenger on a public service vehicle operated on behalf of London bus services being used for the carriage of passengers at separate fares,

did use in relation to the journey a ticket which had been issued for use by another person on terms that it is not transferable.

Contrary to regulation 7(1)(b) of the public service vehicles regulations 1990 si no.

1020 and section 25(3) of the public passenger vehicles act 1981.

I do intend to plead guilty but weren't sure if its better to go and the same if absent.

Then I started searching the internet for some help

and came across this site and read about settling out of court.

Could someone please help and advise

and tell me if I will be able to settle out of court and how to do it?

Any comments and advice will be much appreciated.

Hello and welcome to CAG.

The forum experts don't seem to be around at the moment, I hope they'll be along later.

TfL seem to be taking a hard line on fare evasion, according to what I've read here, but the guys here say that you can negotiate right up to the court date.

Have a read around this forum for similar cases, there are plenty of TfL ones.

If you do go to court, I believe it's better to attend and try to give a good impression to the magistrates, which can lessen the penalty for you.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hello and welcome to CAG.

The forum experts don't seem to be around at the moment, I hope they'll be along later.

TfL seem to be taking a hard line on fare evasion, according to what I've read here, but the guys here say that you can negotiate right up to the court date.

Have a read around this forum for similar cases, there are plenty of TfL ones.

If you do go to court, I believe it's better to attend and try to give a good impression to the magistrates, which can lessen the penalty for you.

My best, HB

Thanks for that. Sorry couldn't reply straight away, had to cook for my kids and sort them out for bed as well!!! Then problem with the old computer...keep getting stuck and sticking!!!

So are there any one around who can give more advice?

Well, as you've stated, the law they which they use to prosecute people in court for bus fare evasion is Section 25 Public Passenger Vehicles Act 1981 and Section 7 The Public Service Vehicles (Conduct of Drivers, Inspectors, Conductors and Passengers) Regulations 1990, which authorises a (Level 3) fine of up to £1000. This would result in a criminal record.

The offence is:

7(1b) No passenger on a vehicle being used for the carriage of passengers at separate fares shall use any ticket which has been issued for use by another person on terms that it is not transferable.

I assume this is a strict liability offence. There doesn't appear to be any valid defence in law. As soon as you commit the offence, you are guilty.

Try and ring/email them, tell them you've learnt your lesson, a criminal record could affect your job etc, be open and honest with them and close by offering around £300 to settle out of court. If they do, get confirmation in writing. If you've been stopped before with a Penalty Fare/threat of prosecution whether on TfL bus/tube/train/tram/boat etc then you are probably wasting your time.

TfL will have regard to the following factors in favour of prosecution:

(a) Previous conviction for a relevant offence or where the offender has

committed a similar offence on any of Transport for London services.

(b) Refusal to heed an earlier Warning about a similar conduct.

© Offender has committed any of the offences of a serious nature as set

out in paragraph 5.1 of this policy.

(d) The offence occurred in an area or on a service known to occasion

high revenue loss to TfL.

(e) The offender has failed to pay for the service or failed to have sufficient

oyster card credit before boarding a relevant service

(f) The offender has unlawfully used or transferred a Freedom pass, Staff

Pass or other concessionary passes or travel documents issued to

named holders.

If that fails/not an option for you, plead guilty in person. Offer whatever mitigation and apologies you can.

Sentencing will probably be: £300-£500 fine, £100 costs, £15 Victim Surcharge, compensation amounting to the bus fare, say £2, and of course, the criminal record.

If you plead guilty by post, without mitigation, the fine could become higher by as much as 50%, but depends on the means form.

Edited by firstclassx

Thanks firstclassx for your advice! I will try email them like you suggest. The sentence is so steep my heart almost fell out! Now I have to think how to compose the email.....

Thanks again!

Just make it heartfelt. I'd personally advise to ring them, if they have given you a contact number. Some of the "please settle" mitigation emails I receive make me cringe, they are far too cheesy and don't really seem genuine. Most also add one or two digs in about being heavy-handed or rude inspectors etc. That doesn't go down well.

You know when you speak to someone whether they are genuine or not. Anyone can write an email.

I read somewhere that a letter maybe better?

The only contact numbers are on the 1st two letters from Tfl letting me know they may prosecute.

If I did call, will I have to ask for the prosecution manager whose name is printed on the court summons?

Thanks, really appreciate all this help.

I read somewhere that a letter maybe better?

The only contact numbers are on the 1st two letters from Tfl letting me know they may prosecute.

If I did call, will I have to ask for the prosecution manager whose name is printed on the court summons?

Thanks, really appreciate all this help.

I always advocate writing to make your request to settle.

This avoids the very occasional issues that may arise through misinterpretaition, or misunderstandings that may arise in a telephone call and leaves you with a tangible record of exactly what was said and when, complete with the confirmation of your signature.

Some prosecution managers and staff quite rightly in my view, will not make any off the cuff decision over the telephone. You may sometimes even have doubts that the person you are talking to on the telephone is the person who was reported.

In the 30-odd years I've been involved in these matters I can recall a good many examples of people ringing in and making claims, or comments that have been attributed to the person reported, because that's who the caller claimed to be, but it turned out otherwise in the fullness of time.

If the TOC do agree to settle by telephone that's a matter for them and good luck to you, but I suggest a well worded letter referring to the most important points that I have posted here many times in the past is something that can often be more effective

Mate do not ever plead guilty! I did and it was the worst mistake of my life!

TFL are idiots and they don't oftent settle out of court, I tried emails, phone calls and letter but they were rude and unforgiving.

Do not plead guilty!

As a public service duty, I have taken to dedicating my forum time to ensure that advice offered by "iambilly" is completely disregarded...You can read about his histronic fantasy world here.

Old-CodJA has offered the most appropriate course of action.

I would like to start by thanking everyone for their time and support and thanks to firstclass and OC for your advice.

I thought about calling but changed my mind in the end as I'm not very good talking. I sent a letter off last Friday apologising for my mistake and asked for the matter to be settled out of court. Over the weekend I was assuming going to court and I was trying to work out what time I needed to leave the house to get there in good time. Well, I received a reply this morning and they have given me the option to pay £250 to settle out of court. What a relief! I have never been to court before and don't really know what to expect. I really have to thank a site like this that gives help and advice to people in need of that. If I hadn't stumbled on this site I wouldn't know such a thing as out of court settlement existed! I feel very lucky and never again will I do a stupid thing like this again! Now I can concentrate on my childcare course and hopefully employment at the end of it. Thanks everyone again.

Mate do not ever plead guilty! I did and it was the worst mistake of my life!

TFL are idiots and they don't oftent settle out of court, I tried emails, phone calls and letter but they were rude and unforgiving.

Do not plead guilty!

Thanks for your concern. If I had to end up in court, I was definitely going to plead guilty! There is no point trying to wriggle out of something like this. I am not a good liar. If I start lying I would just dig the hole bigger and bigger and get into more trouble than already is! Thankfully I can settle out of court.

I would like to start by thanking everyone for their time and support and thanks to firstclass and OC for your advice.

I thought about calling but changed my mind in the end as I'm not very good talking. I sent a letter off last Friday apologising for my mistake and asked for the matter to be settled out of court. Over the weekend I was assuming going to court and I was trying to work out what time I needed to leave the house to get there in good time. Well, I received a reply this morning and they have given me the option to pay £250 to settle out of court. What a relief! I have never been to court before and don't really know what to expect. I really have to thank a site like this that gives help and advice to people in need of that. If I hadn't stumbled on this site I wouldn't know such a thing as out of court settlement existed! I feel very lucky and never again will I do a stupid thing like this again! Now I can concentrate on my childcare course and hopefully employment at the end of it. Thanks everyone again.

Great result considering the potential!

Again, goes to show that being polite, honest and courteous with a prosecuting authority is an absolute must if you have any chance of avoiding a criminal court appearance.

You must remember never to do anything like this again. I'm sure you know what will happen if you do!

That is definitely one thing that won't get repeated! It would be too irresponsible otherwise; I have 2 kids under the age of 7 to think about, and I don't want them to be taken away from me! Thanks again!

I am really glad that you got a result you are happy with. I have always advocated not admitting guilt if you don't believe that you have done anything wrong, but you will know exactly what you did or did not do and have acted accordingly in response.

It has been a very a costly lesson, but I am absolutely certain from your posts that you will never get caught out again. I'm pleased that you now have peace of mind and thank you for letting us know how it went.

Mate do not ever plead guilty! I did and it was the worst mistake of my life! TFL are idiots and they don't oftent settle out of court, I tried emails, phone calls and letter but they were rude and unforgiving.

Billy, what you seem to studiously avoid accepting is that you were guilty of the strict liability offence.

You asked for advice and you got it, time and time and time again.

You entered a 'guilty' plea because you were guilty of the charge laid.

You got credit for that plea and got a lesser fine than you would if you had entered a 'not guilty' plea and been convicted, as you surely would have been.

I'd be careful who you are calling 'Idiots' if I were you because it is clear that TfL staff didn't need to be too clever to catch, charge and convict you.

It's about time that you recognise that no matter how many threads you hijack, you are not going to change the minds of those who deal with this legislation daily and you are going to have an even harder job convincing a Crown Court that you have been hard done by.

Edited by Old-CodJA
  • Haha 1

• 3 years later...

Hi can you please advice me on how to write the letter....I am going through the same situation... Plzzzz

Hi can you please advice me on how to write the letter....I am going through the same situation... Plzzzz

Rochell, you're posting on old threads and may not get replies. I've started a new thread for you, please tell us your story on there.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?454105-My-husband-used-my-Oyster-card-help-needed%281-Viewing%29-nbsp

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum