Jump to content

tax credits saying they want 22,000 off me in overpayment,god will this go to court???


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3532 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

just got the letter saying i got to pay back 22000 pounds,am going to appeal but do i have a leg to stand on???my ex wasnt living here but got all his post and cant prove nothing to say he wasnt here,am so shocked and if i appeal this im presuming as its such a large amount they will prosecute?am at my wits end and feel sick

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello there.


I'm sorry you haven't had any replies and will do my best.


Have you had a letter that explains how HMRC have done the calculations to reach the figure they've told you? You have to be entitled to information.


And have you seen someone like the CAB? I know they've helped other people here who've had overpayment problems. They should be able to tell you if you need legal advice and they will have local contacts who may be able to advise you.


My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum




Link to post
Share on other sites

they have just sent the overpayment from last april till now,which amounts to this sum and also a 3000penalty!!im in touch with cab and they are appealing it for me,but by the sounds of it the best i can expect is to just pay it back,so many different options by the sounds of it,either they refuse my appeal and then i have to pay back and maybe they will still prosecute,or take it further and prosecute me anyway,i cant provide any further evidence of where he was and he wont co-operate at all.im presuming as im appealing they will instantly decide to push me all the way and prosecute me,as i cant admit to lying and yet i cant prove he wasnt here~?god knows what to do?

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I know it's nothing like yours but we got overpayment notices of £43 each, out of the blue, no tax credits have been paid to us for a few years. I've just written telling them no overpayment occured as we didn't get anything.


Are you appealing or disputing their claim? This will maybe help point you in the right way http://www.revenuebenefits.org.uk/tax-credits/guidance/how-to-deal-with-hmrc/challenging-overpayments/


afaik if you write to them disputing the amount then they have to put the action on hold, and stop adding fees, this £3k penalty seems dubious too.


To be honest for £22k I'd let them take me to court. Let a judge decide how much I pay.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you in contact with the ex, know his national insurance number, current address? I would gather as much as you can together. He must have changed his address on something. I am guessing it will be up to them to prove this overpayment, give them as much info as you can. Thats all I can think of to advise. Without evidence I doubt they will get far?


Tax credits have always been very helpful to me since I have had a family, and dealt with issues. Have you tried calling them, they may be able to tell you more.

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...