JSA Stopped benefit question

jb7
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4251 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have looked around for an answer for this, but have not been able to narrow one down, so any help would be most appreciated.

My brother has left his job and claimed JSA, he was refused the claim as he had left his work position voluntarily, but appealed this and it was decided in his favour due to the behaviour of his previous employer.

He was eligible to receive contribution based JSA which he applied for and had been claiming for one month when he missed an appointment and his benefit was stopped and then his claim dismissed. He appealed this decision and after going through the process received a letter two days ago advising that his appeal had not been upheld, that he would no longer qualify for JSA.

I was wondering, long term, would my brother be able to re-apply for JSA as a new claim? He lives at home so probably would not qualify for the hardship payments?

Many thanks in advance

Ok so he appealed to get on JSA and they took decision to grant appeal. He then goes on JSA misses an appt and gets put off it. He appeals this and the appeal was not reconsidered. I dont understand - they allowed him to go on JSA. Should he not have been sanctioned for a specific time? More information here required.

If he failed to attendthe appointment and signing and failed to make contact within 5 working days then the claim would have closed.

If he still needs to claim then he should complete a rapid reclaim which he can do online and then he will be back in the JSA system abd he really does need to make sure that he attends when is required or this will happen again and if it happens a few times doubts will arise about his entitlement to JSA.

Hi

He had an appointment with his job advisor which he missed, the JC contacted him and he went in the next day for the appointment, the person he spoke said that was fine but not to miss another, a week later he received a letter advising him that because he had not attended all his required appointments that his JSA would be stopped, he then wrote to them to appeal and they have sent a P45 and a letter saying his appeal has been declined.

Thanks for the advice flumps, I will pass the information about the rapid reclaim to him.

• 4 weeks later...

Missing an app`t is suicide if your on JSA !

I`m a postal signer and my paperwork, though sent via 1st class stamp has mysteriously not been delivered/gone missing. I`ve gone 42 days without benefit but was kindly given a small crisis loan to hopefully tide me over till my JSA re-starts.

I wasnt informed that I had in effect missed an app`t and as in other posts, only found out when I checked my bank account thinking there`d just been a slow payment. I can only presume that like my 1st class stamped envelope went awol, the 2cnd class stamped envelope with the decision and the reasons why my JSA was stopped has simlarly dissapeared into the royal mail ether. I`m now being advised, and actually will, get my future payment envelopes sent by registered mail or at the very least some form of proof of posting which should help in an appeal which hopefully wont ever come about again.

If you look at your appointment form it says, (or at least it says on mine) not to bother phoning in after the missed app`t, no 5 day grace period, I even attended an app`t the day after the missed, scheduled one but that still, despite assurances from my advisor lead to my JSA being stopped and a rapid re-sign my only option.

The whole system is flawed and angled in the DWP/JSA/Governments favour.