Fare evasion and change of address - ** SETTLED **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4309 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello.

Today I got caught niave, showing an old ticket which was no longer valid. I got pulled up about it and a guy wrote my details down in a notebook and said i will have the opportunity to explain my situation. I gave them my current address but I am moving in 5 days... Do you think I will recieve the notification before then? If not, who shall I tell my change of details to?

No you will not hear by then. So what you will of course do now is google the relevant train operating company, phone their customer service centre, explain that you were caught travelling fraudulently and wish to give your new name and address to the Prosecuttions department. They will pass your details on and then you will receive the letter asking you to explain your actions at your correct address.

You will get points for honesty; although they might query (AS I DO) why you didn't mention this approaching move to the Inspector when asked!!!

i didn't think.. i was that perplexed by it all that i just gave them my address, they did the checks said OK and then I went..

But then it occured to me i might not get the letter on time..

Anyway, I got to the station, there was a huge queue for the machine as there was inspectors there.. so when the train pulled up the inspector gave us all tickets to prove we had boarded at that station.. i took one got to the other side one stop away (Manchester Picadilly) and there was a huge queue again and I was going to be late for work...

I remembered i had a ticket i hadn;t used so i showed them a ticket that was dated a few days ago, they told me my error, i said I would queue.. but before i knew it some guy was all over me saying he was reporting it...

I have proof that I bought a ticket the day before, so if i show this and explain.. how likely do you think it will be that I get off fairly 'lightly' - im hoping for just a fine, i really don;t want to go to court. Mark

Edited by honeybee13
Editing in some spacing for ease of reading.

Hello there.

I can't answer your questions about tickets, but hopefully someone who knows will be along soon.

If you're moving house, would you not arrange to have your mail forwarded to you? That way, you would receive any letter the rail company or any other important mail for a few weeks or months after you move. Your local Post Office would be able to help.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi again all,

I phoned the Debt Recovery and Prosecutions team today to inform them of my new address. The lady was very helpful and advised me to write a letter in first to speed the process up.

I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on what to include in this.

I have a ticket from the day before the 'incident' so would it be wise to include this? - just as proof that I bought a ticket the day before?..

Also, does anyone have any other suggestions on what I should include? An apology for my negligence? A promise to be more careful in future? An offer to pay a sum of money for the trouble caused? I would be EXTREMELY grateful if anyone can help on this matter.

Thanks

Mark

Hello again.

I don't know if the guys are around at the moment, so I can't tell you if you should be sending this sort of information now.

If you have a read around the forum, there are plenty of letters that have been written for other people in reply to the letter asking for their version of the story.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

How does this sound?:

30/07/12.

Dear Debt Recovery and Prosecution Unit,

I sometimes travel from Mauldeth Road to Manchester Piccadilly (approx 7-8 mins journey) when I don’t get the bus in to the City Centre.

On Friday 27th July, at Manchester Piccadilly Station, I showed a ticket at the barrier from Mauldeth Road which was out of date, Immediately, I was told it was not valid so I offered to join the queue to pay for a valid ticket. However, the ticket supervisor called her colleague over who took my details down and said I would be getting a letter in the post from Northern Rail to ask my version of events.

I gave my current address, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, which was checked and verified. I assumed I would get the letter in the next few days (as I did not know the how the process worked), so I thought this address would be OK to give. However, on 1st August I’m moving house to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. So I am writing to inform you of my new details, as I now understand the letter may take longer to reach me.

On Monday 30th July, at around 9.50 a.m I phoned your Debt Recovery and Prosecution Unit to inform you of my new address so the letter could be sent to this address instead of the one given at the station.

The lady on the phone was very helpful and suggested I write in with my explaination to speed up the process. First of all, I would like to apologise for my negligence and would like to offer to pay a sum of money to Northern for the trouble caused plus the due fare. I would like to avoid a court hearing if possible. This is a first time offence and I have never been in trouble with the law in my life and consider myself a good, honest citizen who has made a terrible error of judgement. I accept this and I promise never to make such a mistake again.

Here is my version of events:

On Friday 27th July, I got to Mauldeth Road Station well in time for the 8.30 train to Manchester Piccadilly. Unusually, there was a ticket checker at Mauldeth Road station so there was a huge queue for the ticket machine. As it was getting closer to 8.30 and there was still a big queue, the ticket inspector gave us all a slip of paper which proved we travelled from Mauldeth Road.

When I got to Piccadilly there was another big queue for tickets and I had to be in work for 9 a.m so I panicked that I would be late for work. I knew I had a ticket in my wallet which I wrongly assumed still valid, so I showed this to the barrier guard who told me it was not valid and only valid on the day of purchase. I offered to queue up but she called her colleague over who asked me to write my correct details down, which I did. They were checked and verified against my name, and he thanked me for my honesty.

I did show my un-valid ticket clearly, and offered to queue up as soon as it was rejected. I also gave my correct address details and had the presence of mind to phone up with my new address so the letter could be sent there. I hope you will see this favourably and I plead that you accept my apology and my promise for this to never happen again.

I also still have my ticket from my journey on the 26th July (the day before) – from Burnage to Manchester Piccadilly, which was purchased on my bank card so it can be traced that I purchased it. I hope this works in my favour too. I also used the train today (30th July) and made sure I got to the ticket office in very good time, which I will continue to do to avoid any chance of this happening again.

I visit family in USA every couple of years and I fear that a court prosecution would end these visits, as well as having a damaging effect on my career and future prospects. I hope you can accept my offer of an internal fine plus payment of the fare. Again, I assure you this will not happen ever again.

Please can any correspondence be sent to my new address, as given above

Kind Regards

Hi Markyohnson,

I wonder if you could do me a huge favour? I actually commute on the exact same 8.30am train as you from Mauldeth Road to Manchester, and my offence was a few days after yours.

Would you be able to update me on here with any feedback you get on your address change and also when you receive your letter? As our incidents are identical by a few days, your letter will (I would presume) arrive within days of mine.

It would be a great help pal and I would genuinely appreciate it.

Yeah me too! lol

I know, it was weird as I had been searching for relevant posts all day and just before I left the office I found yours and it was identical, literally I couldnt have written a more specific question! :roll:

Cheers pal, really appreciate it, il keep my eyes peeled for your updates!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. Just an update in case anyone wanted to know the outcome and for anyone in a similar situation. I got a letter today from Northern and have to pay £80 + the £2.20 fare to avoid court proceedings. Phew. Thanks for all advice. This is a great forum with so many helpful contributers.

Good luck to everyone going through similar situations, I too had sleepless nights imagining standing in front of the judge :/

Mark Yohnson