Ford Focus Concentric Slave Cylinder

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4348 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey I hope there are some genuine mechanics who can help me with this.

I had a new clutch/slave cylinder fitted to my car 16 months ago, 8 months/3000 miles later (I only drive occasionally the 300 miles to see my mother down the A1) the clutch disconnected from the housing or something like that and the whole job was redone, but they said there was no extension to the guarantee of the work done.

The clutch was from Mr Clutch, again it has gone back to the nearest branch, after the one in Gateshead (where the work was completed) was closed down. I have driven only a further 3500 miles in 8 months and this time they are saying that the concentric slave cylinder, replaced under the original warranty 8 months ago has failed, however this part only has a 12 month warranty from the original date of purchase of the original unit. The engineer in the garage let slip that I should be expecting to have covered 50000 miles of mostly responsible driving in 8 months to cause this, however their head office argue that this is a perishable product and is not expected to last beyond 12 months and therefore is exempt from the fit for purpose for 6 years rule in the sale of goods act.

Now I've been footed a further bill of £300 for the whole lot again being a student I can't afford to have this done twice in less than 2 years.

Should a concentric slave cylinder last longer than ~3500 mile/8 months of only motorway driving, might I add I'm 26 I study a medical related course, boy racers irritate me, I don't ride my clutch and I've never had so much as a speeding ticket in my life.

If so would you say that a fit for purpose slave cylinder is one that would last for up to 6 years of reasonable style driving, averaging no more than 6000 miles a year?

I need to know before I take the removed components to a solicitor.

Thank You :)

I can see exactly what you are getting at here but it is late. I'll respond with a definitive proper engineering qualified answer tomorrow. Mr Clutch though is not what they seem. Wait fro the answer.

Mr crutch...sorry clutch fits remanufactured parts, not new or even new of equivalent standard which is how they would get around any six year implications. Essentialy they buy the scrap parts and alledgedly check for the bits that are in spec and repair/remanufacture those that are not. So for example in the case of a clutch cover what would probably happen is that provided the fingers are within the original angle specification tolerance then that bit is fit to go again. A quick reface of the contact plate and as far as they are concerned it's good to go again. What will probably not be taken into account is tensile strength of the fingers so they could be soft after however many miles they have already done. This is why the pedal fee lwill be softer than an OEM one but the bite point will change. The same happens with the other asociated parts such as the plate ( which would generally bejust relined) and the slave cylinders which would just receive a quick hone and seal change.

Mr Clutch is good for get you out of the doo doo if short on cash but if you expect the clutch not to have an issue of some sort for a few years it's not an ideal place to use.

As regards the warranty, it is only valid for the period given. You can have an infinite number of replacements in that time but the warranty still expires on the set date from the original fitment.

The statement that it is a perishable item ( the slave cylinder) is hog wash as it was designed to last 150,000 miles or 10 years as an oem part however if it is a Mr Clutch fitted part and supplied by them from their own "suppliers" ( who I think are owned by the franchise chain) then you are probably on a hiding to nothing. If it made 20,000 miles that would be lucky I think.

In essence, if you get a reputable part put back in from someone like Girling or ATE then the life of it will probably be there for at least the time you're likely to own it.

Come back if there is something you don't understand.