• Tweets

• I used to post regularly in order to provide factual information (rather than advice) but got fed up with banging my head against a brick wall in so many cases when posters insisted black was white and I was writing rubbish. I have never posted anything which was untrue or indeed biased in any way.  I have never given 'advice' but have sought to correct erroneous statements which were unhelpful. The only username I have ever used is blf1uk. I have never gone under any other username and have no connection to 'bailiff advice'.  I am not a High Court Enforcement Officer but obtained my first 'bailiff' certificate in 1982. I'm not sure what records you have accessed but I was certainly not born in 1977 - at that time I was serving in the Armed Forces in Hereford, Germany (4th Division HQ) and my wife gave birth to our eldest.   Going back to the original point, the fact is that employees of an Approved Enforcement Agency contracted by the Ministry of Justice can and do execute warrants of arrest (with and without bail), warrants of detention and warrants of commitment. In many cases, the employee is also an enforcement agent [but not acting as one]. Here is a fact.  I recently submitted an FOI request to HMCTS and they advised me (for example) that in 2022/23 Jacobs (the AEA for Wales) was issued with 4,750 financial arrest warrants (without bail) and 473 'breach' warrants.  A breach warrant is a community penalty breach warrant (CPBW) whereby the defendant has breached the terms of either their release from prison or the terms of an order [such as community service].  While the defendant may pay the sum [fine] due to avoid arrest on a financial arrest warrant, a breach warrant always results in their transportation to either a police station [for holding] or directly to the magistrates' court to go before the bench as is the case on financial arrest warrants without bail when they don't pay.  Wales has the lowest number of arrest warrants issued of the seven regions with South East exceeding 50,000.  Overall, the figure for arrest warrants issued to the three AEAs exceeds 200,000.  Many of these were previously dealt with directly by HMCTS using their employed Civilian Enforcement Officers but they were subject to TUPE in 2019 and either left the service or transferred to the three AEAs. In England, a local authority may take committal proceedings against an individual who has not paid their council tax and the court will issue a committal summons.  If the person does not attend the committal hearing, the court will issue a warrant of arrest usually with bail but occasionally without bail (certainly without bail if when bailed on their own recognizance the defendant still fails to appear).   A warrant of arrest to bring the debtor before the court is issued under regulation 48(5) of The Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992 and can be executed by "any person to whom it is directed or by any constable....." (Reg 48(6).  These, although much [much] lower in number compared to HMCTS, are also dealt with by the enforcement agencies contracted by the local authorities. Feel free to do your own research using FOI enquiries!  
    • 3rd one seems the best option, let 'em default, don't pay a penny, nothing will happen, forget about all of this. As for Payplan don't touch them with a bargepole, nothing they can do that you can't, and they will pocket fees. A do it yourself DMP is pointless as it will just string out the statute barred date to infinity.
    • Because that’s what the email said. Anyway it’s done now. Posted and image emailed.    im doing some reading in preparation for defence but I will need my hand holding quite tightly by you good people.  I’m a little bit clueless
    • why do you need adobe...use a pdf online website. all for now...no get reading up and do not miss your defence filing date no matter what. post it up in good time no!!    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

tax credit review letter

britishred
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4284 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i received a letter from hmrc. they are checking my award as a single person for 2011-2012. the information they have shows my husband living with me. i have claimed working tax credit and child tax credit since 2000 which is when i separated from my husband, we have never divorced. we had seperate bank accounts and i paid all the utility bills, council tax etc and the agreement was that he paid the mortgage. over the years he has used our address for loans and credit cards as where he was living he wasn't allowed to .

in 2009 after his mothers illness and eventual death we reconciled

as by then we both had alot of debt between us (i forgot to mention we have four children ) we contacted a debt management company who advised us to open a joint account and close our old ones down as we had loans with the banks. we opened the account in nov 09 and wages paid into it dec09.

he moved in the family home in jan 2010 after settling bills at his other address. i did not inform hmrc as we were paying back a huge amount on the debt plan and i felt that i could not cope. i lost my job the same year and claimed job seekers allowance for six weeks.

i found another job but have been claiming tax credit . i have no proof that he has not lived with me for a long time and our financial ties link us together .

i have contacted them and am waiting for them to ring me back. i like most others can't sleep, feel sick i haven't told my husband. what will happen to me? am i classed as a 'big fish' will they prosecute me i have claimed for so long ?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

No like most others you are a little tadpole :-)

You will have to pay back what you owe either by reduction of a subsequent award or by direct payment (with time to pay - although HMRC will expect an income and expenditure statement to substantiate the time to pay arrangement)

Just gather as much information together as you can to provide details of your hubby's non residence and the subsequent reconciliation.

Gbarbm

hi thanks for the advice. my husband paid cash to the friend he shared their batchelor pad with. there is no rent book or recorded agreement no direct debit payments to prove he lived there. the friend moved away from our area in 2010 and we have no way to contact him for proof but then his word would not suffice i guess. will they look at my claims as a whole or just from when he moved in? what evidence will they want?

does this mean that once i tell them that we reconciled in 2010 they will look at that award . i mean if i just address their query for 2011/12 they will want to know the date he moved back in.

is the first phone call just to confirm their suspicions? and then do they contact you by letter then? do you know roughly how long they usually take to deal with the enquiry and do they want the money paid back asap?

Sorry, your first post said you had a letter.

The length of time they take to deal with the check will depend upon how long it takes for them to get all the info in.

Generally speaking, any overpayment will be recovered from a subsequent award; if there is no subsequent award, a time to pay arrangement will be set up

Gbarbm

well its the end of the week and not heard a thing the waiting is awful . work has been the hardest trying to ' be myself'. everyone has noticed that i don't seem myself. i hope they contact me next week i havent told my husband he didnt know that i had carried on the claim but why should i burden him with this . wanted to post on here because lots of you in the same boat. i am terrified of what they are going to ask for back i am already on a debt management plan. i cant wait to wake up like others have said and not think tax credits.

can anyone help? my husbands company went paperless in 2011 so all wageslips and p60 are on line, would hmrc accept a printed copy of a p60? also if they suspect you have been living together what other proof will they want to prove it and how much so that i can start getting it together ? thanks.

Yes if the payslips etc are on line, HMRC will accept the printouts.

HMRC will, when considering if a couple live together, look at things like bank and building society accounts (to check if finances are separate) rent book, mortgage statements, council tax bill and utility bills (gas/electric/phone)

Gbarbm

considering that i have been claiming in all for twelve years and we have had seperate bank accounts for ten years and a joint one for the past two years how far back are they going to want to look.

during 2010 i lost my job and claimed job seekers allowance. i received the basic rate £65+ a week . I claimed it for seven weeks in total , i would have been entitled to this wouldnt i? i have worked all my life.

I'm really not sure on the rules for JSA, hopefully one of the experts will look in on this and confirm that for you or if not I can flag up the post for their attention

Gbarbm

i am looking at kizzy 1972 post similar story to mine and her update suggests a jail sentence . is that what i am looking at? thats what i meant about being a big fish. those who have claimed the most ... jail them ??? i am now terrified ,

i am looking at kizzy 1972 post similar story to mine and her update suggests a jail sentence . is that what i am looking at? thats what i meant about being a big fish. those who have claimed the most ... jail them ??? i am now terrified ,

Don't assume you're going to jail just yet britishred. I know you are very worried and probably can't be talked out of it, but I think it might turn out not as badly as you think. :D

So long as you co operate, HMRC favour civil investigations. They say that themselves, and if the stories over recent years on this forum are anything to go by, this seems to be the case.

Solicitors aren't infallible either - maybe the solicitor was basing his knowledge on experience of JSA fraud (in which case they are more keen to prosecute).

Edited by lis79

thankyou. as you can see i cant sleep. was i entitled to jsa for those seven weeks? aren't they based on national insurance contributions of which i have paid? i had about £700 in jsa in all and the first time ever that i had claimed 'dole'.

just found a bank statement from our old joint account and i realised that i had a debit card to that account which i had used during the time we were apart. the more i try to prove to myself that the split was legitimate so i can prove to them it was the more i realise that we were financially linked together alot. so what do i do when they ring me up and ask when my husband moved back in do i say jan 2010 as it was because then they are going to want previous years bank statements the fact that i paid all my own utilities which were in my name wont count for anything and as i have said he has no proof of previous address so what do i do ? do i say to make me accountable for the twelve years because they will have proof that we were financially linked and i cant prove he wasnt here at my address until 2010. i would rather get it over with . if i am accountable for twelve years the cost will be 80000 + i reckon isnt that a jailable amount ? please help and just tell me that a huge amount like that is a crown court case. i know you dont know the answers but in past cases what has happened?

just found a bank statement from 2009 and i had a debit card in my name on my husbands bank account. yes i had used it for shopping. but when they investigate i look totally linked to my husband financially and even though i paid all of the utility bills from my account the fact i cant provide proof that he never lived here and he has loans etc in this address and looks like he has financially supported me, they are going to ask when he moved back i am saying jan 2010 but bank statements etc say otherwise. so what do i say to them ? do i say make me accountable for twelve years to get this overwith? i would owe i estimate £70000+ i dont want to make myself a liar even more yes i claimed dishonestly for past two years but cant prove my innocence anyother way. i am scared to admit anything . i have spent the whole week trying to find something to prove we were apart the more i look the finances push us together. please advise me do i tell them that i have heavy financial links and let them investigate it all . if i owe a huge amount is it crown court ?