• Tweets

• Thank you for posting up the required details and well done for apparently not revealing the identity of the driver. I am assuming you are the keeper? The depth of ignorance of the parking companies is absolutely amazing. The Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 is the law relating to private parking and allows those rogues to be able to transfer the charge from the driver [whose name they do not know] to the keeper after 28 days . This is dependent on them complying with the Act. So many of the don't and Alliance is no different. It would help if we could see what you appeal was and to post the back of the PCN as it is lacking so much of the wording necessary to make it compliant so that in your case only the driver is liable to pay the charge. And of course just entering the ANPR arrival times means that they have failed to specify the parking time which is a requirement..  Because the car park was so busy you had to drive around for quite a while before finally finding a place to park which is when the parking period may  actually begin. The poor dears at Alliance have not grasped that particular part of the legislation as yet. To be fair the Act has only been in place for 12 years so one must make allowances for their stupidity . We shouldn't really mock them- but it is fun. You weren't to know but the chances of winning an appeal against Alliance and the IPC is around 5%-and that is high for them. If they allow you to cancel they lose the chance of making money and they would have had a field day when you were there with so many people being caught overstaying because of the chaos in trying to find a parking space then trying to pay.  Your snotty letter could go something like this- Dear Cretins, Yes I mean you Alliance. After 12 years one would have thought that even you could produce a compliant PCN. Did you really think I would pay you a penny extra considering the time I wasted trying  to pay with  long queues at the parking machine, then trying to get a signal to call Just Park. On top of that you then had the cheek to ask for an additional £70 for what dubious unspecified pleasure? You must have made a killing that day charging all those motorists for overstaying because the queues to pay were do long and even walking to pay from the over flow parking fields takes time. And yes I did take photos of the non existent signs in the fields so please don't give me the usual rubbish about your signs being clearly visible. Oh yes that £70. Please tell me and the Court whether that charge included VAT and if it did, why am I being charged to pay your vat? I am sure the Judge would look carefully at that as well as the Inland Revenue. The truth is you had no reasonable cause to ask the DVLA for my data given the chaos at your car park and I believe that you therefore breached my GDPR...................... I expect others will give their views as well.          
    • opps this is going to get messy then if they don't refund. you should never keep util accounts in credit.
    • https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/new-private-parking-code-to-launch-in-the-uk-later-this-year/ The newly created gov petition 'Immediately Reintroduce Private Parking Code of Practice' is from Stanley Luckhurst, the 85-year-old old Excel Parking took to court. Excel lost the case and the pensioner's been campaigning for regulation of PPCs since this unpleasant experience. https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/24085471.gerrards-cross-pensioner-takes-nightmarish-private-parking/ I would urge anyone on this forum who supports the petition statement "We believe the private parking industry is trending toward anarchy and must be brought to order by re-launching the Government Code immediately" to sign and share it. 168 signings at 4pm today https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/660922 If the gov new parking code is not launched before parliament dissolves (for the general election) then the legislation is at great risk of being shelved. And we'll be stuck with ATAs new joint code which does not address motorists issues such as a cap on parking charges, debt recovery or an independent appeal process.  https://www.parliament.uk/site-information/glossary/wash-up/
    • It was mostly taken from credit within the account left over from excess direct debits over the past year. 
    • not looking very hopeful then... there is usually an account comms or manual intervention notes where call  operators have typed notes.... not in the SAR? dx    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Help!! Debt is ruining our life

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4377 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone.

I am writing to ask for advice as my husband has two bank of scotland credit cards and one personel loan. I had to stop work last year due to depression and Stress after the death of my grandfather, who i was very close to. His death had a huge impact on my life.

My husband was the only one bringing in a full wage at the time and now he is currently off on long term sickness and only receiving SSP.

We are currently waiting on a form from my doctor to send to our mortgage provider to help us with the mortgage. We are just getting by on paying bills and surviving.

The big issue is that the credit cards and loan are too high currently sitting at £16,000 in total. The total payment to service all the debt is currently around £410 per month and the two cards are currently sitting one month in arrears (it will be two months as of next week).

The bank is now phoning non-stop everyday on the mobile and home phone. We do not answer them but have been advised from my father to tell them we can not afford to pay.

Does anyone have any advise that could help us as we are a young couple, I'm 24 and my husbands 26. We've not even been married for two years and are struggling with depression due to the events of last year.

Could someone help?

Thanks.

Christine

Get along to one of the charity organisation who provide debt advice as it is possible to negotiaite TOKEN payments until your circumstances improve. At a later date when you return to work it may be possible to enter into a Debt Arrangement Scheme to take care of the usecured debt. DO NOT CONSIDER DEBT MANAGEMENT OR TRUST DEED AT THAT STAGE AS YOU OWN YOUR HOME, particularly if there is equity in the property.

Edited by Crocdoc

Hi AY,

Have a read of this:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/entry.php?517-Debt-Diaries-Become-Debt-Free-in-Ten-Steps-Step-One-Don-t-Panic!

and the rest of the steps.

Sit down and work out your income and expenditure (also the above links help you see if you are claiming all your entitled too) and then see if you have any surplus monies you can offer and let us know

Ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Many thanks to crocdoc and IdainFife for the fantastic advice you gave to us. It is nice to know we are not alone in this situation. We have already made a budget and are cutting back on a lot of things. I will be seeing about reducing Sky tv, which at the moment is a big outgoing.

We also have an appointment with North Ayrshire Debt Advisors to talk about making token payments to the creditors which will give us time. Or perhaps use the PPI on the cards and loan instead of claiming it back.

Thank you once again.

I will let you know what the outcome is.

Christine

Or perhaps use the PPI on the cards and loan instead of claiming it back.

Your situation is actually what PPI is useful for - however, you will have had to have kept your PPI payments up to date ie you have not already stopped paying or claimed back

ACCOUNT DORMANT

Hi IdainFife. I contacted the Consumer credit counselling service and they have taken a note of all our income, outgoings etc.

they will contact me on May 8th to check what can be done to help, this may include a token payment to each of the creditors.

I am following the advice you sent to me on April 27th, it is very useful advice and I would like to thank you for your help, it means so much to me.

Thanks again

IdainFife - I will contact Turn2us tomorrow. Given the little income coming in at the moment, we should be entitlted to something. Whats worse is I worked since I was 16 and now im claiming job seekers and have been told I do not qualify for JS. Even though I explained to HMRC that Mark, my husband is off his work long term with illness, this still diden't make a difference.

Thanks again Ida,

thank you for taking the time to reply to my post with all the wonderful information.

AY

IdainFife - I went onto the turn2us website to use the benefit calculator -its telling me that the £62 that marks getting from WTC is all that we are entitled to? I am wondering if there is any more advice on how to claim Job Seekers income based given the very low income?

Thanks

AY

am not benefits savvy am afraid i will Erika a tug for you, can you roughly say what you are getting and approx amounts for her?

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Hi alienatedyouth,

The free self-help pack on this site has been very useful to me in budgeting and paying off debts in the past

http://www.gain4u.org.uk/document.aspx?cid=2

The charity grants finder on this site may throw something up that could help

http://www.family-action.org.uk/section.aspx?id=77

I would be inclined to check my benefits here as it's the government website and is up to date on rules etc.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/diol1/doitonline/doitonlinebycategory/dg_172666

For emotional help and support with your depression these folk might be able to help

http://www.depressionalliance.org/

I don't know if you're a member of a trade union or not. If so, contact them and see if they can assist as many unions have funds that members can access. If not you might wish to consider joining the Unite in the Community scheme-it is specifically for people not in work. It costs 50p per week and comes with a range of benefits, including access to the union benevolent fund.

http://www.unitetheunion.org/member_services/community_member_benefits.aspx

You may be entitled to Disability Living Allowance due to depression. I was able to claim low rate care DLA for two years due to depression. DLA is not means tested, it is granted purely to help with your health regardless of your financial situation. I would strongly advise you get help to complete any application for this benefit as the form is quite tricky and the criteria are quite strict. Depending on your partners condition and it's duration he might also be able to claim DLA.

You may also be able to claim Employment and Support Allowance, though i don't know enough about your circumstances to say for certain.

I'm pretty crap with debt but have a good working knowledge of the benefits system and would be happy to try and help if you have any questions.

Edited by Jen2603

Hello there. You may be interested in downloading our self-help pack, Dealng with your debts. It has a wealth of really useful information:

http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/scotland/pdf/self_help_pack/full_pack.pdf

We also have a money advice tool, My Money Steps, which can provide tailored help and support via the web: http://www.mymoneysteps.org

We hope you find them useful!

National Debtline.

For Free, Confidential and Independent advice: 0808 808 4000

Monday - Friday 9am to 9pm // Saturday 9.30am to 1pm // 24-hour voicemail. Please leave a message to request an information pack. http://www.nationaldebtline.org // http://www.mymoneysteps.org

Hi Christine.

Firstly, I am so sorry for the delayed response. I've not been online the last few days due to illness. As he is on SSP, he can't claim any DWP benefit such as JSA, ESA or IS. I see you stopped working last year. If you were working in the tax years 09/10 and 10/11, there is a possibility that you may be eligible for contribution based JSA. This is only payable for 6 months, but it's a start and is definately worth looking into.

The turn to us calculator isn't designed to deal with in-year adjustments as far as I am aware - it's more geared toward a total year award. However I would suggest that you contact Tax Credit 0845 300 3900, and tell them that your husband is on SSP therefore the total estimated income for the year will be lower, and ask them if it is possible to do an in-year adjustment on your award. They will likely need a new estimate for this. Now, I don't claim to be an expert on in-year adjustments. All I know is that it is possible in some circumstances and I've had them done when I've been long term sick years ago, so I don't know if you will definately get one or not but it is worth a shot.

Another thing worth checking is housing benefit (if you are a renter) and council tax benefit. You may be eligible for some help with your rent and council tax due to the drop in income. Your local authority will have an application form to apply - don't delay though as benefits are rarely backdated unless official error is the reason for the delay. If eligible, they will of course be backdated to the date of your claim, apart from JSA because that has a three day 'waiting period'.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Hi ErikaPNP! Thanks for your response. We have a bit of good news. I had an interview on Friday there for a clerical Assistant, full time, mon - fri 9-5. I got offered the job on the spot. I just started there on Wedensday.

We have put in a claim for Council Tax benefits and are currently waiting on them getting back to us. I need to let them know that I've started work, do you think that'll mess up the claim?

Moneys still a bit slow as I don't get paid until a week tomorrow. Its all fun, you go to work, see your pay then its all gone!

I contacted tax credits and managed to get an extra £20 added on a week, so thats helping.

Once again thank you for your response, it's very much appreciated!

Christine

IdaInFife! thank you for contacting Erika for me, she sent me a lot of great information.

Sorry I haven't been on CAG for a wee while, I started a new job on wednesday there and have also been studying for my maths exam.

Thank you for all your help, It's very much appreciated!

Christine xx

Excellent news regarding your new employment :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Great news and please make sure you have told the benefits office you are working :-)

Hi IdaInFife! I informed the job centre about my job as soon as I got offered it. My husband may be able to claim job seekers on my behalf through income based for the time i was off.

I'm hoping things will improve, as this has been one hell of a year so far!

But thanks to yourself and everyone on CAG that replied and gave wonderful advice, I can finally see a way out the mess!

Kind regards

Christine