Problem Landlady - Bankruptcy and termination

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4409 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

For the past 18 months I have been lodging with someone and paying £85 per week, which included all bills and also unlimited Broadband.

For the past 6 months things have become increasingly frustrating, as she keeps turning off the Broadband Router at the wall, sometime while I am working in my room. She also never has the heating on in the house unless she is in. All of the Central Heating controls are in her bedroom and I obviously wont go into her room. I have a three year old son who stays with me on a alt week basis and a few times he has said "daddy, I am cold"

I have mentioned this to her on a few occasions and I either get ignored or get told well its her house!!!! I have never missed any rent payments and havent even brought anyone back to the house. I suppose I would be called an ideal tennant. However, I have been struggling with other debts and one company wants to make me bankrupt. There is a clause in the agreement that if I agree terms or am made bankrupt the tenancy is null and void? Is this correct?

Can she do anything about this as I still have another 6 months on this term?

Please advise

many thanks in advance

your contractural rights are limited as you are a lodger, and the owner lives in the house. So statutory AST rights do not apply.

I would og thought as long as you are paying the rent on time there would be no reason to affect the arrangement.

As for heating just buy an electric heater for your room.

Again as for the computer, which I pressume is a laptop you can get a 3g dongle or use a mobile phone with an APN and tethering fascility.

your contractural rights are limited as you are a lodger, and the owner lives in the house. So statutory AST rights do not apply.

I would og thought as long as you are paying the rent on time there would be no reason to affect the arrangement.

As for heating just buy an electric heater for your room.

Again as for the computer, which I pressume is a laptop you can get a 3g dongle or use a mobile phone with an APN and tethering fascility.

So basically pay twice for heating and twice for broadband?

My main concern is if I am made bankrupt or as I have come to arrangements with creditors. Is the contract/ tenancy voided?

Is not bills ( electricity ) included in the rent?

Is broadband availability part of the rent and in the contract?

I doubt it would be enforceable as long as rent is paid ( you dont have to tell owner ), but a contract is a contract?

Does your rent include council tax? How many other adults in the house?

Has the owner got permission from the mortgage company to let out if not owned outright?

Are your contents insured with the house insurance or do you have your own?

Are you a tennant or a lodger? different rules apply and yes if all bills are included buy a cheap heater they can be got for under £20.00 and switch it on, it will eat the electric up and might just encourage her to put the heating on a bit more.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.