• Tweets

• the claimant in their WS can refer to whatever previous CC judgements they like, as we do in our WS's, but CC judgements do not set a legal precedence. however, they do often refer to judgements like Bevis, those cases do created a precedence as they were court of appeal rulings. as for if the defendant, prior to the raising of a claim, dobbed themselves in as the driver in writing during any appeal to the PPC, i don't think we've seen one case whereby the claimant referred to such in their WS.. ?? but they certainly typically include said appeal letters in their exhibits. i certainly dont think it's a good idea to 'remind' them of such at the defence stage, even if the defendant did admit such in a written appeal. i would further go as far to say, that could be even more damaging to the whole case than a judge admonishing a defendant for not appealing to the PPC in the 1st place. it sort of blows the defendant out the water before the judge reads anything else. dx  
    • Hi LFI, Your knowledge in this area is greater than I could possibly hope to have and as such I appreciate your feedback. I'm not sure that I agree the reason why a barrister would say that, only to get new customers, I'm sure he must have had professional experience in this area that qualifies him to make that point. 🙂 In your point 1 you mention: 1] there is a real danger that some part of the appeal will point out that the person appealing [the keeper ] is also the driver. I understand the point you are making but I was referring to when the keeper is also the driver and admits it later and only in this circumstance, but I understand what you are saying. I take on board the issues you raise in point 2. Is it possible that a PPC (claimant) could refer back to the case above as proof that the motorist should have appealed, like they refer back to other cases? Thanks once again for the feedback.
    • Well barristers would say that in the hope that motorists would go to them for advice -obviously paid advice.  The problem with appealing is at least twofold. 1] there is a real danger that some part of the appeal will point out that the person appealing [the keeper ] is also the driver.  And in a lot of cases the last thing the keeper wants when they are also the driver is that the parking company knows that. It makes it so much easier for them as the majority  of Judges do not accept that the keeper and the driver are the same person for obvious reasons. Often they are not the same person especially when it is a family car where the husband, wife and children are all insured to drive the same car. On top of that  just about every person who has a valid insurance policy is able to drive another person's vehicle. So there are many possibilities and it should be up to the parking company to prove it to some extent.  Most parking company's do not accept appeals under virtually any circumstances. But insist that you carry on and appeal to their so called impartial jury who are often anything but impartial. By turning down that second appeal, many motorists pay up because they don't know enough about PoFA to argue with those decisions which brings us to the second problem. 2] the major parking companies are mostly unscrupulous, lying cheating scrotes. So when you appeal and your reasons look as if they would have merit in Court, they then go about  concocting a Witness Statement to debunk that challenge. We feel that by leaving what we think are the strongest arguments to our Member's Witness Statements, it leaves insufficient time to be thwarted with their lies etc. And when the motorists defence is good enough to win, it should win regardless of when it is first produced.   
    • S13 (2)The creditor may not exercise the right under paragraph 4 to recover from the keeper any unpaid parking charges specified in the notice to keeper if, within the period of 28 days beginning with the day after that on which that notice was given, the creditor is given— (a)a statement signed by or on behalf of the vehicle-hire firm to the effect that at the material time the vehicle was hired to a named person under a hire agreement; (b)a copy of the hire agreement; and (c)a copy of a statement of liability signed by the hirer under that hire agreement. As  Arval has complied with the above they cannot be pursued by EC----- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- S14 [1]   the creditor may recover those charges (so far as they remain unpaid) from the hirer. (2)The conditions are that— (a)the creditor has within the relevant period given the hirer a notice in accordance with sub-paragraph (5) (a “notice to hirer”), together with a copy of the documents mentioned in paragraph 13(2) and the notice to keeper; (b)a period of 21 days beginning with the day on which the notice to hirer was given has elapsed;  As ECP did not send copies of the documents to your company and they have given 28 days instead of 21 days they have failed to comply with  the Act so you and your Company are absolved from paying. That is not to say that they won't continue asking to be paid as they do not have the faintest idea how PoFA works. 
    • Euro have got a lot wrong and have failed to comply with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4.  According to Section 13 after ECP have written to Arval they should then send a NTH to the Hirer  which they have done.This eliminates Arval from any further pursuit by ECP. When they wrote to your company they should have sent copies of everything that they asked Arval for. This is to prove that your company agree what happened on the day of the breach. If ECP then comply with the Act they are allowed to pursue the hirer. If they fail, to comply they cannot make the hirer pay. They can pursue until they are blue in the face but the Hirer is not lawfully required to pay them and if it went to Court ECP would lose. Your company could say who was driving but the only person that can be pursued is the Hirer, there does not appear to be an extension for a driver to be pursued. Even if there was, because ECP have failed miserably to comply with the Act  they still have no chance of winning in Court. Here are the relevant Hire sections from the Act below.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

unter 18 Lost ticket - return ticket confiscated

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4343 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My 16 yr old son was travelling between Hertford North and Stevenage. He bought a return ticket using his 16-25 railcard which cost £4.20.

When he got to Stevenage he couldn't find his outward ticket, although he did have it to get through the ticket barrier at Hertford North.

The ticket inspector at Stevenage said that the return part of the ticket wasn't enough proof that he had bought the ticket and that he could have given the outward part to someone else. He was with his girlfriend who had both parts of her ticket.

He was fined £20 although he didn't have the money on him, but they insisted on taking £6.20 the price of a normal single right there and then using his connect card, his account had no money in it that day but they said it wasn't a live system and it would be taken the next day. The price with a 16-25 card is £4.10 single and £4.20 return.

Then they took the return ticket, which meant that he had no way of returning home as he did not have the money to buy another single ticket to get home.

They also didn't bother to ascertain his age and did not tick the under 18 box on the penalty notice nor include details of parents etc

I have appealed but not sure where we stand.

Edited by christywhisty
spelling

The fare for a person over 16 years, who cannot show a valid ticket at the time of travel is the adult single fare. If a person has already travelled without, or is on the railway and cannot produce a valid ticket when asked, no discount will be given to a railcard holder as per the T&Cs accepted at the time of purchase

Whilst I understand that to some people it may seem a bit harsh in some respects, an inspector does not have to accept the 'wrong half' of a two-part return ticket as evidence that a valid ticket is held for the very reason given.

Having said that, you should appeal and your son needs to explain exactly what happened.

How did your son pay for his original ticket?

He paid by cash

I am also concerned that they took the return part of the ticket off him, so that he would have had to pay again for that part of the journey, if we had not gone and collected him.

It seems a little more information might be needed to offer any more suggestion as it is unusual for a return half that would still be valid to be siezed unless there are factors that have not been disclosed. Perhaps your son can help?

From what I can gather my son showed him the return ticket as well as other tickets he had bought that day.

We live in Cheshunt and to get to stevenage he goes to hertford east then walks across town to Hertford North station, so he had a return ticket for that journey as well.

He showed the inspector all 3 tickets, but the inspector kept the return ticket from stevenage to hertford north and handed back the Cheshunt tickets.

I spoke to an inspector at Cheshunt this morning and he said it was standard practice to keep the return ticket and it is illegal to travel with only one part of the ticket., which sounds nonsense to me.

They did say to my son at stevenage that he could have given the outward ticket to someone else, but he was traveling with his girlfriend who had her own full set of tickets from hn to s.

Son says there is no more information, he is upset because he feels he is being accused of fraud, when all he did was lose his ticket. I suspect he didn't pick up his ticket when he put it through the barrier when they were at hertford north.

I suspect he didn't pick up his ticket when he put it through the barrier when they were at hertford north.

Impossible im afraid, the barrier wont open unless you take the ticket back.

I spoke to an inspector at Cheshunt this morning and he said it was standard practice to keep the return ticket and it is illegal to travel with only one part of the ticket., which sounds nonsense to me.

The inspector is correct in that, he is referring to the condition which says you cannot use the outward half of a two part return ticket if you cannot also produce the unused return portion of that ticket.

SRPO is right too, your son could not inadvertently have left the outward half of the ticket in the gate reader as the gate would not open to allow him access to the train until he took it out.

Also just to add although he was travelling with his girlfriend and she had her tickets what's to say there. Wasn't a 3rd friend who had that portion of the ticket and went through the exit barrier a few moments before

Not saying that's the case but that's what the RCI\RPI would be thinking

Also just to add although he was travelling with his girlfriend and she had her tickets what's to say there. Wasn't a 3rd friend who had that portion of the ticket and went through the exit barrier a few moments before

Not saying that's the case but that's what the RCI\RPI would be thinking

But how would two of them got through the ticket barrier at the start of the journey with just one ticket.

@ christywhisty ... It is easy to double up and go through the gateline ticket barriers with one ticket

Without complicating matters they coould have had the friend get on at a station in between with no gateline barriers and met them on the train or even the station they got the ticket the wheelchair barrier might have been left open due to staff shortagen way too many variables and happens all the time

He honestly didn't have anyone else with him other than girlfriend. I was told by the inspector at my station that they may look at the cctv camera.

It's fair enough, he shouldn't have lost his ticket, but I am still annoyed they took a ticket he had paid for from him

Also does anyone if they should have treated him differently as a minor under the age of 18. They did not fill in the penalty form in correctly.

I wasn't implying there was anyone 3rd person with him or thinking something was amiss just explaining to you that although he was only with his girlfriend the RCI\RPI would not have assumed that. They take a hard line with everyone regardless

I do think it is incorrect the way they dealt with him and also to put him in a precarious position in possibly not being able to get home, that would concern me more and yes they should have filled it in correctly.

I would be inclined to email FCC regarding this especially the preventing him getting home. Post back to let us know

He honestly didn't have anyone else with him other than girlfriend. I was told by the inspector at my station that they may look at the cctv camera.

It's fair enough, he shouldn't have lost his ticket, but I am still annoyed they took a ticket he had paid for from him

Also does anyone if they should have treated him differently as a minor under the age of 18. They did not fill in the penalty form in correctly.

An adult in public transport ticketing terms is 'over 16', which is when the adult fare becomes payable at a 16th birthday.

All rail tickets remain the property of the company at all times though I am surprised that the inspector felt it necessary to retain the return half if there was no other factor that we are unaware of. I'm sure the inspector will have made a note on the counterfoil copy that goes to the processing office if that is the case.

• 1 month later...

An update

After letters back and forth to rpss, who finally referred me to first capital connect. I paid my sons penalty fare because i didn't want to incur any more costs.

Fcc admitted that my son was not trying to defraud the company, but basically they have to treat everyone as guilty. Still couldn't really come up with an adequate reason for withholding his return ticket other than to prevent further fraud.

They sent us a voucher for the price of a return ticket.

I involved travelwatch who couldn't get a straight answer either.

Penalty fares are not issued to fare evaders, had the RPI suspected that your son was committing any kind of fraud then a Travel Irregularity Report would have been completed with the facts being reported to FCC prosecutions unit, basically a Penalty Fare is issued to anyone who cannot show a valid ticket and the rules apply to everybody, sometimes people do make genuine mistakes but then thats life. As for having the ticket withdrawn, this is common practice amongst all TOC's, if your son was under 16 then a "Zero fare" ticket may have been issued in order fo him to get home but in these circumstances he was not stranded as he was at a manned station and had you not being able to pick him up then you could have arranged a SILK payment from the station, this is when someone such as yourself rings up a number and pays for a ticket by card the ticket details are then sent to the station where the stranded individual is and the tickets printed and given to the stranded individual then hey presto.

SILK actually stands for Stranded Individual Location Known beofore anyone asks.

Views expressed in this forum by me are my own personal opinion and you take it on face value! I make any comments to the best of my knowledge but you take my advice at your own risk.

If he approached a member of staff saying that he was stranded then he would have been adviced of this.

Views expressed in this forum by me are my own personal opinion and you take it on face value! I make any comments to the best of my knowledge but you take my advice at your own risk.

• 2 weeks later...

Why is it that in such situations, people always try to find any way possible to blame the TOC. Your son is a big boy now, and needs to take responsibility for his own actions. Nobody else is to blame here.

Sorry it's not a helpful post, but these things just annoy me.