Dealing with lateness in the work place..

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4421 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello folks,

Im not sure this is the right forum for this sort of question however, worth a try.

I am currently an employee of a large public organisation in scotland

I have been off a total of 57 days in that time, through various illnesses and operations. My most recent one was last week, when i returned, my supervisor told me not to be off again until May 21st.

To go with this, i have been late a few times, nothing major, mostly by ten minutes or so, and this has never created an issue for my supervisor, telling me not worry about it etc.

Until today....

This morning i was 15 minutes late, and i had no excuse, i simply didnt hear my alarm.

On arrival at work, my supervisor questioned me on this, i explained. He was clearly unhappy, fair enough....

However, infront of my colleagues, he stated to me that i was "going on paper " for it and that "he couldnt protect me any longer" these two terms i have no idea what he means....

He told me to come see him at ten oclock, which i agreed. Five minutes later, he called me through to the supervisors office, where another supervisor was and began to say things like...

I was not committed.

I had "p*sh" excuses

I was staring him out

I didnt care

i should go away and think about wether i want to be in this job or not

and again, i was "going on paper" for this late coming.

I still have no idea what that means, i didnt bother to ask, as he was fizzing.

He then told me come tuesday, he will seek to have me removed to another office (there are offices as far as Oban and as close as 20 minutes away from me) and off his shift (there are 5 different shifts) Basically i would no longer be under his management. I didnt know what to do or say.....

I hold my hands up, yes i was late no excuses, but the way he dealt with it, left me feeling threatened and intimidated, and as if he was forcing me out the door (the job)

Basically, i presume i am going to get disciplined, but i was wondering if anyone here knows the correct procedure they should carry out. I feel as if this supervisor has not carried out the correct procedure, and dealt with the matter completely wrong.

How should lateness be dealt with in a public organisation?

Anyone have any advice for me? Please dont say get a better alarm, or turn up on time. I am very aware of this, and can provide no excuse for being late.

You should have a look at your employers disciplinary policy and the ACAS Code of Practice for guidance.

How long have you worked there? I'd hope it's a while with 57 problem absences! Punctuality is something that's really required of an employee, and it's not difficult to get right, so they probably can fairly discipline you here. Take it on the chin, and try and improve going forward is probably the best advice I could give you!

To be fair Im sure he did not follow policy. The fact however and the evidence lies in your attendance and lateness which Im sure are documented. Your conversation with him, I assume had no witnesses - or at least ones that will stand up for you if you raise a grievance. I'd suggest a conversation with your supervisor and say that it will not happen again and you are committed to the role. Sometimes we need to bite our tongue and get on with it.

i have been in 3 years, not off 57 times, just a total of 57 days, as explained, 1 operation, once dealing with depression, and other things.

All i am asking is the procedure they should carry out, i dont really need to be told i need to improve, its something i kinda already know.

Should i get X amount of informal warnings, followed by X amount of formal warnings, then a discipline etc.....im not sure how it works...

i have been late, 3 times in total, all of which have been dealt with by a simple dont do it again. Apart from this one today...

i have been in 3 years, not off 57 times, just a total of 57 days, as explained, 1 operation, once dealing with depression, and other things.

All i am asking is the procedure they should carry out, i dont really need to be told i need to improve, its something i kinda already know.

Should i get X amount of informal warnings, followed by X amount of formal warnings, then a discipline etc.....im not sure how it works...

i have been late, 3 times in total, all of which have been dealt with by a simple dont do it again. Apart from this one today...

Ask for a copy of sickness and lateness policy. I would say deal with this informally the supervisor maybe had a bad day ??

im just concerned hes not followed the correct procedure.....its not really been explained to me whats happening apart from "this is going on paper" what does that even mean? His manner, and body language i found intimidating aand threatening, however, the other supervisor would certainly not stand in my corner...

im just concerned hes not followed the correct procedure.....its not really been explained to me whats happening apart from "this is going on paper" what does that even mean? His manner, and body language i found intimidating aand threatening, however, the other supervisor would certainly not stand in my corner...

Well, the only way you'll know that is by checking on your employer's disciplinary procedures and possibly looking at the ACAS website. It's difficult for us to know unless you can give us some extra details.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Nothing will happen on Tuesday they must give you notice in writing to attend a meeting - this usually involves you allowing to bring a trade union rep or friend.

You mention depression, is your employer aware of this? Do you still suffer from depression?? This is covered under the Equality Act, at the moment you'd be best waiting to see why happens next week. If it goes on paper this will probably be the scheduling of a meeting. Look at the ACAS site for best practise that most companies follow.

57 days is quite a lot even in 3 years, the May the 21st comment may be because you can only have so many absences a year before it becomes a disiplinary offence again you will need to check your contract of employment. As for the supervisor have you relied on his good nature to not take action in the past, he may think you are taking the micky, he has his job to protect as well, he could have been having a bad day so he may not have dealt with it properly I dont think he was trying to force you out of a job he may just have had enough, as for putting it on paper I would assume he means that it will go on your record as a warning. There are proceedures that have to be followed when dismissing an employee and these are well documented both on this site and on other internet sites. I agree with the previous comment that it may be best to apologise quitely say you are commited etc etc you say you didnt bother to ask what he meant did you not have the opportunity to ask or could you just not be bothered?

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Well, the only way you'll know that is by checking on your employer's disciplinary procedures and possibly looking at the ACAS website. It's difficult for us to know unless you can give us some extra details.

HB

such as what further details?

Nothing will happen on Tuesday they must give you notice in writing to attend a meeting - this usually involves you allowing to bring a trade union rep or friend.

You mention depression, is your employer aware of this? Do you still suffer from depression?? This is covered under the Equality Act, at the moment you'd be best waiting to see why happens next week. If it goes on paper this will probably be the scheduling of a meeting. Look at the ACAS site for best practise that most companies follow.

Yes, they were well aware of the depression, im not sure if i still suffer, i guess i get moments where it feels like it.

57 days is quite a lot even in 3 years, the May the 21st comment may be because you can only have so many absences a year before it becomes a disiplinary offence again you will need to check your contract of employment. As for the supervisor have you relied on his good nature to not take action in the past, he may think you are taking the micky, he has his job to protect as well, he could have been having a bad day so he may not have dealt with it properly I dont think he was trying to force you out of a job he may just have had enough, as for putting it on paper I would assume he means that it will go on your record as a warning. There are proceedures that have to be followed when dismissing an employee and these are well documented both on this site and on other internet sites. I agree with the previous comment that it may be best to apologise quitely say you are commited etc etc you say you didnt bother to ask what he meant did you not have the opportunity to ask or could you just not be bothered?

How many warnings should i recieve before a dismissal is apparent?

Id say i didnt get the opportunity to ask when he finished the conversation with "away you go".

What are the procedures? This is what im trying to establish?

If they're using sickness absence or capability procedures, a verbal warning should be sufficient. If your attendance doesn't improve, they can then move to written or final written warning, and then dismissal.

It is still possible to be summarily dismissed for gross misconduct, though, but I don't think that applies here. It may do, though, if you also breached absence reporting procedures, for example by not phoning in when you were sick.

In terms of the procedure, look at your employers disciplinary, absence management or capability policy, and the ACAS code of practice.

How many warnings should i recieve before a dismissal is apparent?

Id say i didnt get the opportunity to ask when he finished the conversation with "away you go".

What are the procedures? This is what im trying to establish?

I work in a similar setting and the procedure is

verbal warning

written warning - expires after 6 months

Stage 2 warning - if there is more lateness within the 6 months

Stage3/4 Which I believe can mean final warning - one more chance or dismissal.

i think that you have had the verbal warning and should not really be "going on paper" unless there are further instances of lateness.

The fact that you are not well aware of the procedures indicates that management have not publicized them sufficiently.

Your reaction is understandable but you may well be a bit depressed. The fact that you are a bit down could be the reason you are being viewed as uncooperative.

Why not get some medical advice and inform the employer that some adjustments (consideration for your depression) might be in order. This might be a safeguard for you in case the relationship with your supervisor continuess tp deteroprate.

I agree with Browncow, and I think it really would be a good idea to have a calm chat with your supervisor before the situation escalates it cant do any harm and may diffuse the situation.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.