Received a letter from cabot about a debt that is marked settled on my credit file.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4462 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I received a letter recently stating the following :

Welcome to cabot,

The cabot financial group has recently bought the account you held with career development finance limited and we're now responsible for answering your queries and receiving payments.

According to our records you currently owe £1592.94, please contact us as soon as possible to discuss the options available.

I have now checked my up to date credit file and the debt shows settled which was actually with clydesdale finance.

This debt was a webdesign course that was sold by skillstrain, i didn't complete the course as i knew everything they were teaching in the course. it was just basic crap.

I've since then also found out that this course was mis-sold to many people via skills train and was actually on watchdog for being mis-sold.

When i first signed up for the course i was told it was a goverement course and that i wasn't actually signing a loan (which it turned out to be) this was back in 2008, on my credit file i have it dated as settled on 2009.

Now i didn't know this back in 2010 i had been paying career development finance a small monthly fee, as i thought they were the owner of the debt. (which should have been clydesdale finance)

So where to start?

Would sending a cca request be the first way about it?

I haven't received any phone calls and only this one letter.

Much appreciate the help.

seems like you overd nothing and the fleecers spoofed you into paying.

if it shows as setlled them let them wave their arms around.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I would send CCA And SAR, this may not answer all the questions but at least it is a starting point and will determine what information the DCA holds, as it is not uncommon for collection agents to pursue alleged debts without any supportive evidence.

Hi welcome to CAG,

Let me atempt to layout what has happened is CABOT have purchased the

debt with all the rights and obligations of the original agreement, so when the debt

was bought Cabot paid Clydesdale for the account thus it shows as settled.

The letter received from Cabot is a Notice of Assignment which informs you

that Cabot owns the debt.

Certainly send a CCA request, marked I do not acknowledge any debt to you or

any company you claim to represent.

Use the template from the CAG library and send £1 postal order they have 12+2 days to reply.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide: