• Tweets

• Hello! After emailing them I received this reply:   I have drafted the following, please would you be able to comment as to if you think it is correct/sufficient? "Thank you for your email.   Thanks you for confirming that the vehicle does not have these features as stated in the advertisement.    I am sure you are aware that the Consumer Rights Act 2015 provides the short term right to reject within 30 days. Statutory rights cannot be taken away from a consumer, and any attempt to do so is illegal.   Please can you advise how best to return the vehicle?" Thanks in advance!
    • I find that highly disrespectful Sir/Madam just so you know.
    • Not quite sure what you are trying to say but anyway please could you avoid posting solid blocks of text because it is extremely difficult for people to follow – especially if they are using small screen such as telephones. I have restructured your post above. Properly spaced and punctuated please. Thanks
    • I have received an email from town and country on behalf of everday loans. I assume I don’t reply to the email?   Any advice appreciated 
    • Hello, my name is Chris and aswell as saying hello, am checking my posts pop out nicely.  I have  an ongoing problem with British Gas(which shouldn't have become a problem at all), which has cannonballed into recently involving the Energy Ombudsman, Ofgem and I even, hasten to add our government because I am at wit's end. I have a couple of questions. What I write is likely to be mammoth size, I really would like to indicate why I am at wit's end, and as far as I am concerned (conjecture and opinion) its an indication of the inadequacy of our country's system that since and including John Major has been deliberately brought in to be such. Anyway hello and my 2 questions are ' Can I post photos and if so how, are there any instructions?'  and secondly,  ' To what extent can I mention names in what I post, first names only, second names? only, both allowed where known? quoting or gist acceptable, do I need to even though its case and should be anyway, state it's a truthful and honest account?'  It's been ongoing for over a year now on something which I am guessing should get sorted in maybe a month for most people, and I would actually like to go into fuller details than I've even said to them because I feel its important you know that I HAVE been significantly hindered and am living under that still as I speak/type.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Judgment Order

Old2072
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4395 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Andyorch, I think the reason for the application has already been given. I don't see what relevance the above really has as clearly the paperwork was received and I don't believe there's any suggestion of fraud.

Anyway, to the OP; what precisely did you say in your N244? Does the latest order have a recital such as "upon hearing..." or "upon considering the file..."? That will help us to work out what is going on.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

asoky

It is clear the application was not concise enough to explain the grounds for set a side, obviously the Court didn't understand the application judging by its decision,hence the bold reason in red.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi all,

Thanks for your quick reply,

First in my N244 form I wrote that the debt was my wife's, as she was the sole trader in the shop and I just worked there, I also sent a copy of the VAT registration form which states her as the sole trader.

The form today say's " Before District Judge Godwin sitting at Aberystwyth District Registry.

Upon reading the defendants application dated 29th March 2012

IT IS ORDERED THAT

Application to set aside be dismissed

Reason as I just said,

Roy

How is your wife dealing with the judgment? Has she paid in full or made payment arrangement? Is the debt now settled?

Regards

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Hi andyorch,

My wife has always told the company that she was the sole trader and accepted that it is her debt, she has told them that due to her having to close her shop down she has large debts (in the region of £30,000 I think) and unless she can get employment may be forced to declare herself bankcrupt.

Roy

Accepted but she was also issued with a summons along with yourself so what as she done about hers? Defended, paid nothing, got a CCJ, tried to set a side?

Was it a joint or separate summons?

Andy

Edited by Andyorch

Ok Old

Without prying am I right to assume that you and yours have now separated? How did the supplier get your details or think that you was joint?

Sorry for all the Q,s but to enable you to set this a side successfully I have to know all the facts.

Regards

Andy

Hi,

We we are in theory still together but not really speaking, she is living with her mother and has done for a while. The supplier had our address and I used to speak with them as it was me who used to order things or go and collect things from them on her behalf, but when it came to payments I always told them it was nothing to do with me and I would pass the message on.

Roy

Thankyou Old

Ok so you must now make a decision on your next move, you can set a side the latest order and contest the Court decision or resubmit a fresh application to set a side but with a more concise explanation and evidence as to why you should not be served with the summons.

If you could post up your initial defence that you submitted and also a copy of the last application you made and we can see what can be done.

Regards

Andy

Hi Andyorch,

My initial defence I sent outlined what my role. I helped out in the shop ordering and collecting goods for my wife. I did not open any accounts with suppliers or could make payments as I could not access the bank account. I sent a copy of a bank statement along with the VAT registration for that clearly show' K....... L..... SOLE TRADER.

My last application was similar to the first sending the VAT form only this time.

Thanks,

Roy

Thanks Old

Simply not strong enough it could be construed that you are trying to distance yourself from a joint and several debt.Can you post up verbatim the wording of the Particulars of Claim from the summons.

Andy

Hi all,

Thanks for your quick reply,

First in my N244 form I wrote that the debt was my wife's, as she was the sole trader in the shop and I just worked there, I also sent a copy of the VAT registration form which states her as the sole trader.

The form today say's " Before District Judge Godwin sitting at Aberystwyth District Registry.

Upon reading the defendants application dated 29th March 2012

IT IS ORDERED THAT

Application to set aside be dismissed

Reason as I just said,

Roy

So it appears the order was indeed made without a hearing, in which case it must contain a statement o your right to apply to set the order aside within 7 days of service. I'll check the White book tonight for the reference if no-one gets there before me! You should be able to apply to set aside the order, a further application to set aside the original judgment would be dismissed as an abuse of process, and have a hearing listed.

The problem though is that, sooner or later, you will need to attend court to put your case and you don't seem financially able. Is there no civil court that you can travel to/get a lift to?

Hi Andy,

The wording of the particulars of claim are;

Mr and Mrs L owned a shop in LL.... called R.... We had been trading with them selling certain goods ie beer & wine. They owed us £..... and had promised to pay us asap. They then closed the shop and left. They have behaved in a very poor manner with no consideration or thought for our business. They have lied and failed to keep promises but I think this shows them up for the type of people they are.

My reply:

They where told what was happening, they knew the shop was about to close and I have asked them to produce an account witch I have signed to show I am responsible for any debt, but they have failed to do so.

Roy

The claim was initially issued through Northampton (CCBC) you submitted a defence and the claim was transferred to your local court (Aberystwyth?)

You couldn't attend and they got judgment. You made application to set a side your summons (not your wife's) and this as been dismissed for the reason stated by the court.

I would simply set a side the order as I have already advised (check the order and dates as this must be done usually within 7 days).

We need to work on a fresh wording application Roy that will carry a bit of clout.

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy,

Yea you are spot on. The last Order is dated 12 April 2012 and I got it today 18th April. It was sent to my old address,I'm lucky I have my post on redirection so l go it, the last time I wrote to court when I asked for this to be set aside I told them my new address and the letter I had to show I am on benefit also stated my new address.

Thanks,

Roy

Ok well nothing can be done now until Monday, in the meantime apart from your wife's vat documentation have you got or can get hold of any tax documentation or sales invoices from suppliers to her in her sole name.Did you take a salary from the business and prove you was not self employed but employed by your wife.Did you pay any tax?

Regards

Andy

I think your problem here, is not that it is not your debt, but that you received the court papers and the claim form but failed to defend it.

Your application to set a side should have also included an explanation why you failed to defend the claim.

Debbie

That's absolutely right, you are tryingto set aside the judgment now entered so you need to focus on your failure to attend. It will be difficult because you now say you *could* attend court so the obvious question, despite the explanation you have given which won't stand up to scrutiny, is why you failed to attend last time.

Hi,

Andy, I will try and see what I can find, I didn't take a salary as I only helped out now and then, I looked after the house mainly.

Debbie, I did defend the claim from the start, I sent all the information and proof to Northampton but it seems that it wasn't given to the judge originally, I sent it again stating I had sent it originally when asking to be set aside.

Roy

The defendant had opportunity to attend court to put forward his case but failed to do so.

The problem, as the judge made clear in the above order, is that you failed to attend the hearing. Sending documents to the court is not sufficient and you then take your chances; the court can decide the case in your absence.

You can easily see why the courts are strict on this otherwise no-one would attend the first hearing but would instead see if they win and, if not, have the judgment set aside and attend the new hearing for a second bite at the cherry.

Hi Asokn,

It is a 90 mile round trip to the court (it is the nearest). I thought that sending proof that it was not my debt would be ok, now I know it wasn't. I will have to try and get a friend to take me and hope he will let me give him what I can spare from my benefits to cover his cost's over a couple of weeks,

Roy

I understand that it's difficult, the fact that more local courts are closing only makes matters worse but the justice system clings to the idea that people can attend their 'local' court.