• Tweets

• that was a good saving on an £8k debt dx
    • Find out how the UK general elections works, how to register to vote, and what to do on voting day.View the full article
    • "We suffer more in imagination than in reality" - really pleased this all happened. Settled by TO, full amount save as to costs and without interest claimed. I consider this a success but feel free to move this thread to wherever it's appropriate. I say it's a success because when I started this journey I was in a position of looking to pay interest on all these accounts, allowing them to default stopped that and so even though I am paying the full amount, it is without a doubt reduced from my position 3 years ago and I feel knowing this outcome was possible, happy to gotten this far, defended myself in person and left with a loan with terms I could only dream of, written into law as interest free! I will make better decisions in the future on other accounts, knowing key stages of this whole process. We had the opportunity to speak in court, Judge (feels like just before a ruling) was clear in such that he 'had all the relevant paperwork to make a judgement'. He wasn't pleased I hadn't settled before Court.. but then stated due to WS and verbal arguments on why I haven't settled, from my WS conclusion as follows: "11. The Defendant was not given ample evidence to prove the debt and therefore was not required to enter settlement negotiations. Should the debt be proved in the future, the Defendant is willing to enter such negotiations with the Claimant. "  He offered to stand down the case to give us chance to settle and that that was for my benefit specifically - their Sols didn't want to, he asked me whether I wanted to proceed to judgement or be given the opportunity to settle. Naturally, I snapped his hand off and we entered negotiations (took about 45 minutes). He added I should get legal advice for matters such as these. They were unwilling to agree to a TO unless it was full amount claimed, plus costs, plus interest. Which I rejected as I felt that was unfair in light of the circumstances and the judges comments, I then countered with full amount minus all costs and interest over 84 months. They accepted that. I believe the Judge wouldn't have been happy if they didn't accept a payment plan for the full amount, at this late stage. The judge was very impressed by my articulate defence and WS (Thanks CAG!) he respected that I was wiling to engage with the process but commented only I  can know whether this debt is mine, but stated that Civil cases were based on balance of probabilities, not without shadow of a doubt, and all he needs to determine is whether the account existed. Verbal arguments aside; he has enough evidence in paperwork for that. He clarified that a copy of a DN and NOA is sufficient proof based on balance of probabilities that they were served. I still disagree, but hey, I'm just me.. It's definitely not strict proof as basically I have to prove the negative (I didn't receive them/they were not served), which is impossible. Overall, a great result I think! BT  
    • Seeking further advice now. The 33 days in which the defendant has to submit a defence expires at 16:00 tomorrow. The defendant has submitted an acknowledgement of service but looking to get the claim awarded by default in failure to submit the defence. This is MoneyClaim Online and can see an option to request a default judgement but believe that is for failure to acknowledge the claim within 14 days??  So being MoneyClaim Online, how do I request the claim be awarded in my favour?
    • Have to agree with the above Health and safety legislation is specific in that the service provider in so far as is reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare at work of all his employees and those not in the employ of the business. You claim is like saying you slipped in the swimming pool area while taking a dip. As rightly stated by by the leisure centre, a sports hall has dedicated equipment and you yourself personally have a legal obligation in mitigating danger or injury to yourself by taking account of your immediate surroundings. Where your claim will fail is if it is reasonable and proportionate to impose liability of the Leisure Centre? The answer has to be no.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

issues with ex tenants and e.on bills being chased by BCW

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4470 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I purchased a new build flat in 2005 and tried in vain to get someone to bill us for the gas supply.

We didn't have a problem paying the electric bills.

I phoned all the usual gas suppliers but each one said that my property was not registered.

I then phoned a company with the meter installation number to be told that until the developers registered the property we could not be billed.

I then rented the flat out and it has been rented out for almost 6 years.

Each tenant informing me that they were unable to pay the gas either.

I have taken meter readings at each change of tenant and have the readings in my note book.

I have this week received a final notice from Buchanan Clark & Wells (the first I have ever had any correspondence from them)

on behalf of E-ON Energy (who have never billed me or contacted me ever) for £1,737.44 + £399.61 in admin charges = Total £2,137.05!!!

Buchanan Clark were actually quite cheeky to me when I phoned them, I then said that I have never received a bill from E-ON and the property has been rented out since 2005

- Bichanan Clark still insisted on the phone that I have to pay it!!!

The only way I can get out of paying it (they say) is if I produce tenancy agreements for every tenant since 2005

- then they will try and trace these people.

I then phoned them back today to tell them that one of the letting agents that rented my flat out has gone bust for last few years

so I would be unable to get tenancy agreement for one of tenants......

... they said that I would have to try and chase up the local authority to see if they would discharge info about who

;paid the c/tax for that period to prove that we were not staying there.

Why should I have to be the one that does all the work for them???

Can anyone give me any advice - I have tried to phone citizens advice - but they are busy and not taking any more calls today.

Many thanks :o(

Edited by jackisback

It is not up to up to you to do the running around for Buchanan Wells. Is there anyway you can prove that you tried to find out the supplier. I suggest that you ask EON to send you a screenshot showing when the supply was registered on the national registration system. For electric it is known as MPAS. There is a possibility that the meter was not registered until recently. This happens frequently.

own thread created

just reply on forum

and stay OFF the phone!!

never talk to a dca or their fake/tame solicitors about debts

WRITING ONLY!!

i'll alert the e.on rep for you.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I purchased a new build flat in 2005 and tried in vain to get someone to bill us for the gas supply.

We didn't have a problem paying the electric bills.

I phoned all the usual gas suppliers but each one said that my property was not registered. I then phoned a company with the meter installation number to be told that until the developers registered the property we could not be billed.

I then rented the flat out and it has been rented out for almost 6 years. Each tenant informing me that they were unable to pay the gas either. I have taken meter readings at each change of tenant and have the readings in my note book.

I have this week received a final notice from Buchanan Clark & Wells (the first I have ever had any correspondence from them) on behalf of E-ON Energy (who have never billed me or contacted me ever) for £1,737.44 + £399.61 in admin charges = Total £2,137.05!!!

Buchanan Clark were actually quite cheeky to me when I phoned them, I then said that I have never received a bill from E-ON and the property has been rented out since 2005 - Bichanan Clark still insisted on the phone that I have to pay it!!!

The only way I can get out of paying it (they say) is if I produce tenancy agreements for every tenant since 2005 - then they will try and trace these people. I then phoned them back today to tell them that one of the letting agents that rented my flat out has gone bust for last few years so I would be unable to get tenancy agreement for one of tenants......... they said that I would have to try and chase up the local authority to see if they would discharge infop about who ;paid the c/tax for that period to prove that we were not staying there. Why should I have to be the one that does all the work for them???

Can anyone give me any advice - I have tried to phone citizens advice - but they are busy and not taking any more calls today.

Many thanks :o(

Hi jackisback

I'm sorry you've had such difficulties setting up a gas account for this property.

From what you've said, I would certainly ask if the Billing Code applies. As stevenwaddoups says, this Code of Practice kicks in where we're at fault for not billing a domestic customer. If this is the case, we'll clear all charges over a year old from the date the problem was sorted.

You need to talk to our Director's Office (contact details are on the bills and our website) and they'll open a complaint for you whilst the matter is fully investigated.

All debt follow up will stop whilst there's an open complaint on the account.

With new builds, there's sometimes a delay in receiving the necessary info from builders/developers to allow energy companies to set up accounts. On some occasions the info received is just wrong and can take some sorting out, particularly if there are lots of different properties involved.

All this needs to be looked at to see where responsibility for the delay rests. If, after 56 days, you're unhappy with the resolution proposed you can refer the matter to the Ombudsman for an independent review.

Hope this helps point you in the right direction jackisback.

Malc

Thanks for that dx - to be honest I have never before came into any dealings with DCA's (thankfully & luckily).

I will def stay off phone to them from now on and thanks for alerting e.on rep for me - starting to feel slightly less sick about it all now.

Cheers

Jack

2Grumpy - the current tenant is being billed by them (started in summer last year), I just found this out this week.

The bill that I am being charged for is for supply period 22/11/05 (I purchased flat on 11/11/05) until 01/06/10 so basically they don't get in touch with me ever and certainly NOT over the 6 1/2 years I've owned the flat then get the debt collectors onto me for 4 years 7 months worth of gas!!!

I have accurate meter reads for all use over the 6 1/2 year time period - but I actually think they may have missed the boat by not even attempting to bill us over that time period.

ignore BCW end of!

they cant back bill passed 1 yrs

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Okay managed to register a formal complaint with E-on and got a complaints ref number off them - so that's a start I suppose.

Got a phone call this evening from E-on saying that they have checked their system and my case is NOT eligible under the billing code - so this bill has still to be paid!!!

They have agreed with me that they never sent any bills to the property (supply address) as they have been sending them to the builder/developer of the flats for the last 5 years!!! The address of the builders/developer is in another city some 50 miles away!!!

I then asked E-on - if they weren't receiving payment from the builders why on earth at some point over that 5 years did they not post a bill to the supply address??? The answer I got was "because the builder never informed us" Well i'm sorry why should that be my problem???

He then said that if I had tried to contact E-on over these years then the billing code would be eligible - I said that until last week I had never even heard of E-on and that I had several times tried to contact our local energy suppliers who were scottish gas, scottish power, hydro electric - and was told by all of them that the property was not showing up as registered. I told them I had also been given a number to phone by one of the energy companies to obtain an MPRN number - when I phoned them they said it was impossible to get this number as the builders had still not regisetered the property. How can I contact E-ON if I have never even heard of them??? Seemingly they weren't even called e-on in 2005!!!

I ended up going round in circles and the guy was getting frustrated by saying things like " we have billed for the property - just not to the property address" HONESTLY!!!

My answer "If at any point Steven (guys name) you had sent a bill or an enquiry letter to the property I or my tenants would have happily paid the bills as we have done for every other bill in the property" "Why have E-on NEVER sent correspondence to the property address???" His answer "Because the builders never told us they no longer owned the property"

He also told me that they carried a Land Registry search in Feb 2011 and found out that we had purchased the property in 2005 - so they then got BCW involved!!!

He then told me as he was reading the notes (that incidentally he has to go into the builder/developers file to find) that the account for my property was actioned by E-on on 22 May 2011!!!

This is how I see it - E-on have carried on billing the builder/developer for 5 years and not received payment (the builder actually went bust the year after our flat was built as we never got any snagging completed etc) then eventually in Feb 2011 decide to do a land registry search and find me - then get straight onto DCW as realise that they have made a BIG error and hopefully BCW will bully me into paying for E-on's unbelievable mistake!!!

I am sorry - but surely I have some sort of case???

I am going to email the Director of Complaints.

Any other advice guys?

Many thanks

5 years & they hadn't tried that before?

As you say, they probably referred directly to the DCA because E-On realised they were in the wrong.

E-On should obviously have written to you first. I have seen elsewhere that if you are liable, if this is 5 years of bills, they should give you 5 years to pay.

Watch out for them screwing with your credit reference

I would be inclined to write telling them that they haven't billed for 5 years & that they should have contacted you and not referred this to a DCA. Remind them that you haven't seen any of their bills, you have no idea of their accuracy and that you had tenants who would be responsible for the bills anyway and that until they communicate with you in a reasonable manner there is nothing that you can do

Received a phone call this evening from the complaints team saying that several managers have looked at my case and my complaint is not valid and is now closed!!!

They state that it is my fault that I didn't contact E-on (even although there was no E-on back in 2005) in these 5 or 6 years and the billing code states that it is up to the customer to contact the energy supplier. He then said that it is not good enough to say that you contacted other suppliers and Transco etc as the customer has to supply the company who is the supplier!!!

How on earth can someone contact the supplier when they have made NO contact in all these years. I stated that I had never even heard of E-on and didn't even realise that they were a supplier in my area!!!

He said the case has to be closed right now to enable the collection of this £2,137.05 and why was I even bothered as it would be my tenants who would have to pay it!!!! It is the principal of the situation and the stress, time off work and my name being black listed that is the bother and the way in which E-on treat people!!!

I don't think any amount of fighting is going to change my situation as E-on not even willing to listen - shocking customer service!!!

off to the energy obs then

dx

and they

Received a phone call this evening from the complaints team saying that several managers have looked at my case and my complaint is not valid and is now closed!!!

They state that it is my fault that I didn't contact E-on (even although there was no E-on back in 2005) in these 5 or 6 years and the billing code states that it is up to the customer to contact the energy supplier. He then said that it is not good enough to say that you contacted other suppliers and Transco etc as the customer has to supply the company who is the supplier!!!

How on earth can someone contact the supplier when they have made NO contact in all these years. I stated that I had never even heard of E-on and didn't even realise that they were a supplier in my area!!!

He said the case has to be closed right now to enable the collection of this £2,137.05 and why was I even bothered as it would be my tenants who would have to pay it!!!! It is the principal of the situation and the stress, time off work and my name being black listed that is the bother and the way in which E-on treat people!!!

I don't think any amount of fighting is going to change my situation as E-on not even willing to listen - shocking customer service!!!

Highly unlikely that several managers looked at your case. More than likely two or three team leaders discussed it with one another, but never referred it to a department head as they knew they probably would be a bollocking for being so inefficient. Next step is to request in writing a deadlock letter so that you can escalate it to the ombudsman. In the meantime keep in insisting on the national registration screenshots for the metering in question. you cna then post it up leaving off the address details and I can advise you of the date of registration.

Thanks Surfer01 - I have now taken 2 days annual leave since last week to try and sort things out - I can't believe the time, effort and expense this is costing me due to E-ON obviously not knowing how to conduct business.

I have asked for the screenshots twice now and was told NO - and gaining this information would make no difference to the billing code. I was advised over the phone by E-ON that the account was 'set up' (not sure if that means registered) in May 2011.

I will persevere though but am obviously extremely worried about my credit rating as I feel the one + only reason E-ON have closed the complaint within2 days of me opening it is so that this then allows BCW to carry on using their bully tactics with me.

I will request the deadlock letter today. thanks again. Jack :(

Any dispute should not affect your credit rating so no worries there. They are obviously trying to hide something if they are nor prepared to give you screenshots. Hopefully you have this in writing as it will help a great deal when it goes to Ombudsman. How would you know that the meter was on zero when they installed it. How would they know the readings when the developer handed over the property? Too many assumptions.

I have typed up a letter re the screenshots and deadlock letter and tried to email to E-on Director of Customer Services through their website email link - but not enough character spaces to allow me to email the whole letter. Does anyone know the direct email address of the director? I will of course post a copy letter tonight in the mail to the address in Nottingham.

Many thanks

Hi jack

I'm sorry you've been unable to reach a satisfactory resolution with our Director's Office and would agree with Surfer and ask for a deadlock letter.

Just a quick heads up, though. Once 56 days have passed you can go to the Ombudsman regardless of having a deadlock letter. However, the deadlock letter means you can go sooner.

Malc

Hi Malc

Thanks for coming back to me. I realise that after the 56 days have passed I can go to ombudsman - but would rather get the deadlock letter now to enable me to progress ASAP as I don't have the energy or good health at the moment to fight off the DCA's for that length of time. Thanks again though - will keep you posted.

Edited by jackisback