unethical if not dodgy dealer?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4465 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If you are going to disclaim the reliability of the mileage, it 'must' be on the speedo not on the invoice.

It must be of a size and stand out enough that there can be no doubt the mileage may not be correct at the time of sale.

If it is the same car that was declaired a a cat c then it 'must' be brought to the buyers notice.

Sorry my answer is a big vague and has been edited, I've been busy so will need to read through the complete thread again and come back later.

At the risk of it already being said, did you get that rejection letter off on Saturday?

Edited by Conniff

The mileage is OK as verified by the DVLA MOT records. I did not post the letter as we could not do a charge back until today. Then my daughter said she wanted to speak to the seller today about contributing to the repairs and I have not heard from her yet what has happened.

Your daughter will need a full engineers report before agreeing to repairs being done, there could well be a hundred other things wrong and the heater could be a simple matter or a major one that the seller won't want to get involved in.

I also meant the sellers disclaimer should be on the speedo and not on the invoice, well not 'should' be, 'must' be.

Where has the mileage issue come in Conniff? I can't recall the OP mentioning it previously.

In any event, the OP needs to be careful of allowing this to drag out. we are already almost 4 days down the line. My advice is do a charge back and send the car back!

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Hi Sam. The invoice shows the mileage disclaimer that should be on the speedo. When I mentioned this, I said "If you are going to disclaim the reliability of the mileage" which made it sound as if I was talking to the op when I was really talking about the seller.

Hi Sam. The invoice shows the mileage disclaimer that should be on the speedo. When I mentioned this, I said "If you are going to disclaim the reliability of the mileage" which made it sound as if I was talking to the op when I was really talking about the seller.

Absolutely, what is your opinion of the rest of this seller? How is he insuring buyers to drive their cars away? Very iffy one this!

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

I am the op's daughter, had mechanic round today. He told me its a good model car but under the bonnet is laughable, nothing is fixed down as it should be and wouldn't pass an Mot. However he said when it's fixed should be ok, he said its a good little car and the engines good, best case scenario £300 worst £800. I have phoned the company I bought the car from and spoke to a different employee and explained the details and said i'd took legal advice and asked about the fact its dubious i was actually insured, he was shocked and apologised, he said also I wasn't insured!!! I am willing to come to some sort of agreement if they want to be reasonable and give some money back to cover repairs. I have been asked to call back tomorrow to discuss with the boss. If they won't come to an agreement tomorrow if I can I will do a charge back and tell them to collect the car.

Thank you for all your help and support I will update in the morning when I speak to the boss I'm not optimistic but I'll give them the chance to rectify their mistake before I take it further.

I am the op's daughter, had mechanic round today. He told me its a good model car but under the bonnet is laughable, nothing is fixed down as it should be and wouldn't pass an Mot. However he said when it's fixed should be ok, he said its a good little car and the engines good, best case scenario £300 worst £800. I have phoned the company I bought the car from and spoke to a different employee and explained the details and said i'd took legal advice and asked about the fact its dubious i was actually insured, he was shocked and apologised, he said also I wasn't insured!!! I am willing to come to some sort of agreement if they want to be reasonable and give some money back to cover repairs. I have been asked to call back tomorrow to discuss with the boss. If they won't come to an agreement tomorrow if I can I will do a charge back and tell them to collect the car.

Thank you for all your help and support I will update in the morning when I speak to the boss I'm not optimistic but I'll give them the chance to rectify their mistake before I take it further.

There's a surprise! Personally I wouldn't want to do business with this outfit but obviously the decission is yours.

Please Note

OP'S daughter here again, Just spoke to the employee, he says now I was insured he checked with the boss?? He said if I get an exact quote from the mechanic they can either take the car back if its too expensive or contribute to repairs but he wont give me this in writing. If I get a full quote (which will take a couple of days) will I still be able to do something if the turn round and say they have changed their mind? He also said the company itself only deals in cheap cars with mechanical and electrical faults, I mentioned this is not advertised anywhere on the net, and I was not told about any faults or Cat C, typical sales man he just ignored that and concentrated on the mechanical quote. I have attached a link to the web site also.

http://www.johnwebbandson.co.uk/

I've seen it (re; post #7) and i think they are bunch of cowboys with a nice (and miss-leading) website.

My advice is to do a chrage back or get a refund and walk away as fast as you can. I still think you should report them to either the police or trading standards over the insurance issue beacuse my money is on the fact that they are releasing cars to the public which can't possibly be insured unless the buyer has arranged cover in their own right.

Please Note

sam is right. the point here is that you have bought a cat c car which is worth probably 35% less than a proper one.

no matter what you do / spend on the car it will always be a cat c write off.

get your money back and walk away.

and you wre not insured. there used to be a 'free' driveaway insurance but that stopped years ago. he cannot insure it as he has no interest in the car once you own it. its like insuring someone else's life... you have no 'interest' in the matter so you can't do it.

He also said the company itself only deals in cheap cars with mechanical and electrical faults,

The website says the exact oposite:

web.jpg

Personal opinion - you would be silly to accept this car.

Professional opinion - you would be silly to accept this car.

If you accept repairs you should also state in writing that you do so without relinquishing your right to reject. For future ref, a rejection must be made in writing.

You haven't answered my question - what is the cause of the heater not working ?

OP's Daughter- The only thing I am thinking is the car is worth £3000 so even with cat C, £2000. I paid £1295 so if it is a case of a couple of hundred to fix it, it may be worth it because the mechanic says it is a good model and very reliable car. The problem with the heater and central locking is it could be the electrics the mechanic says he would need to get it in and take a more in-depth look which will cost a bit, but he says if its just a few loose wires its no big problem, but he wants to be cautious in case he gets it open and there is a major fault witht the ECU. So if its a case of £500 to repair and the dealer offers half to apologise for the misleading sell I would be happy. Im in desperate need of a car and if I do a charge back I have to wait for the cash and Im back to square 1.

Obviously the issue with insurance I cant prove either way, they said that I am insured with the owner’s permission 3rd party as I am insured on another car and the car was still in their name when I drove home?

Thank you for all the help and advice though, I dont want anyone to think that we haven't paid heed to whats been said, had it not been for the optimism of the mechanic I would have definitely done a charge back. I really think this dealer is dodgey and I will still be reporting them to autotrader and trading standards and also a few websites to warn other people who may think about buying from this trader.

Ah... well anyone knows that you can't buy something thats worth £3000 for £1295, so in all fairness I think that if you did indeed pay £1295 for a car that should.. if it was 'proper'... be worth £3000 then you can't really expect it to be a good car, and the dealer can no doubt show that you signed for a car that was cat c registered, with faluts etc.....

If the above is the case then I think you'll struggle with a chargeback AND to get anything back from the dealer... but good luck anyway........

If the car was worth anywhere near £3k do you honestly think a dealer like this would sell it for £1295? I think you are going to get stung very badly but it's your money, not mine.

Please Note

Citreon C3 1.4i SX 5dr manual petrol at 50k miles in good condition (NOT cat c) Forecourt price £2715 Private sale price £2465 Part ex £2425 Trade £2265

Sorce Whatcar?

Above relates to a car having full service history and being mechanically sound with a full MOT. Some minor wheel/paint work may require attention.

£3000 would mean it should be in excellent condition and if it's a cat c, then it never will be.

Please Note

Citreon C3 1.4i SX 5dr manual petrol at 50k miles in good condition (NOT cat c) Forecourt price £2715 Private sale price £2465 Part ex £2425 Trade £2265

Sorce Whatcar?

Above relates to a car having full service history and being mechanically sound with a full MOT. Some minor wheel/paint work may require attention.

£3000 would mean it should be in excellent condition and if it's a cat c, then it never will be.

Please Note

If the OP has bought anything like the above car for £1295 then there WILL be lots of things wrong with it. I've been in business all my life and you CANNOT buy a £5 note for £2.50.. it can't be done.

@ £1295 and with the thing shes accidentally signed she's got two hopes.. Bob Hope and no hope.