ESA Time Limit You Can Cliam For

confus
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4471 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just read that you can only claim ESA for a year as opposed to ongoing whilst on IB, is this correct and if so, what is somebody who has long term mental health problems supposed to do after that year? They cannot be sure that that person will be well enough to work?

Also, I read that whilst claiming ESA you can get help paying interest on your mortage, would you be able to do this if 2 people (who are seperated) are named on the mortgage, one working and one on ESA? Would they pay the part that the person on ESA pays? If that makes sense.

I have a very distraught relative with servere mental health issues who is now (after reading the above) having some sort of meltdown and I do not know how to to advise her. It seems this government is just going to hang people out to dry with no thoughts on how ill people are doing to deal with all this.

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) is the benefit that is replacing Incapacity Benefit (IB) which is being phased out. The Government has today voted to push through plans to limit Contribution-based ESA to one year, and these changes will go through from April this year if this Government does indeed force them through.

It is important to stress that your relative may well be in the "Support Group" which would mean that they are exempt from removal of the contributory based ESA. It is important to check this, as it may be that they are in the "Work Related Group" or the "Support Group".

As I understand it, those who fall foul of this change will be moved onto Income-based ESA, which is means tested and takes savings into account on calculation.

To be frank, the changes are an absolute disaster and will be further muddled next year with the arrival of the Universal Credit.

Thank you for replying, she is in the Working Related Group.

Income based ESA - does this include what a person has coming in every week or is it just related to savings

I must admit, I agree with you totally and I don't see how these changes could work alongside Universal Credit, nothing seems to make any sense now and it certainly doesn't help the people concerned who are ill in some way or other. I just would like them to clarify all changes and leave it at that but they seem not to know their a***s from their elbows.

If she has been on ESA for a year in April, then I'm afraid that the contribution-based ESA will end and she will be moved to income-based ESA. Income-based ESA is means tested, that means that any income she has, and her partner/spouse if she has one, will be taken into account as well as any savings. If she has a recent letter detailing her benefit level, it may well detail how much she would get on Income-based ESA and would be worth checking.

Thanks again, she moved onto ESA in November so I presume that will end this coming November, she is a single parent but my son still pays half of the mortgage. Do you know what kind of income she is allowed to have in order that she can claim ESA or perhaps somehwere I can find this information? Thank you for all your help

Thank you for replying, she is in the Working Related Group.

Income based ESA - does this include what a person has coming in every week or is it just related to savings

I must admit, I agree with you totally and I don't see how these changes could work alongside Universal Credit, nothing seems to make any sense now and it certainly doesn't help the people concerned who are ill in some way or other. I just would like them to clarify all changes and leave it at that but they seem not to know their a***s from their elbows.

There are two types of ESA: contribution based ESA© and income based ESA(IR). ESA© is based on her NI contributions and isn't affected by savings or a partner's income. ESA(IR) is based on the amount of money a household has coming in each week, so savings over £6000 are considered, as is any partner's income.

At the moment, there is no time limit on ESA© but legislation currently before Parliament would set a maximum time of 12 months to claim this benefit. No time limit exists or is proposed for ESA(IR).

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Thank you both, much appreciated, will have to find out which one she is receiving. Is it likely the the ESA© will go through parliment at a set time of one year or is that up in the air too?

She has no savings so that cannot be taken into account.

Very helpful forum, thank you very much

sorry for seeming to be a bit stupid but i have been on ESA since 2009 (december) and only in september 2011 i was awarded my full ESA and put into the work related activity group....in what way will i be effected?

sorry for seeming to be a bit stupid but i have been on ESA since 2009 (december) and only in september 2011 i was awarded my full ESA and put into the work related activity group....in what way will i be effected?

Do you receive ESA© or ESA(IR)?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

If your ESA was backdated to December 2009, then I am afraid you will be affected in April.

i did receive a backdated payment but i don't believe it was backdated back to 2009 december...i got all but 3 months

I'd certainly query that. You need to know how long they are counting that you have been on contribution-based ESA, and therefore how long you will be covered for.

okay thank you...what changes will happen? as i don't have any kind of savings and i will be living with my brother who supports himself and pays his own mortgage which i can't afford to give him rent and survive.

I'm not sure how they will look at your case. As I mentioned earlier, Income-based ESA is means tested, so I cannot be sure as to how they will look at your circumstances I'm afraid.

If you have no savings and no other income then it seems likely you would qualify for ESA(IR). Note, though, that we can only give general guidance here, we can't say for sure.

hi antone, thank you for the somewhat breath of slight fresh air. i am completely tangled by all of this. I live with my brother and it is his house and he pays the bills so i only have my benefits to live on. I don't see how people have 6,000+ savings on benefits anyway, i have just enough to live on.