Tax Credits questioning about an ex!

rachey
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4503 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, Im looking for some advice/guidance as im at my wits end..

I recieved a letter from tax credits stating my reward was under review as it seems my ex is living with me. I immediately rung and spoke to them explaining im no longer with him and at no point was he living with me.

They requested i get in touch with him, so i could send in a "Utility Bill" etc with his address on etc. In the meantime he has been getting post at my address, which doesnt help.

Spoke to the ex who informed me that he was using my address as a mailbox and he hasnt as of yet changed his address over to his present address.

I really have no idea what to do, as there doesnt seem to be any paperwork i can send to them with his present address on, as it all comes here...

Im a single parent with 3 children.

Many thanks in advance :-(

Unless you can show them proof of address where he's living, the fact his post is coming to you is pretty cut n dried in their eyes unfortunately. I can't think how else they can know for sure he doesn't live with you? What about his employers, where is he registered to there?

I spoke to him about that too, and thats here aswell. It seems everything in his name is at my adress!! Had a major row on phone to him, how inconsiderate can he be! Am in tears and have no idea what to do.

Even though all his mail is sent to your home and his employers have him as living at your address does he not have a tenancy agreement or similar for where he is living or is he registered to vote from that address, or even have his name on a utility bill at his current address?

Just things to ask him,

Feebee_71

Not that this applies to you as where tax credits are concerned, they rarely involve courts. But I do know of someone that had 'his' family swear on oath that he lived with them, & the lady was found not guilty. Lots more evidence against her too, so don't give up. What about his doctors? Registered at yours or his mums? Electoral roll?

EDIT: sorry just seen the electoral roll bit...

You can't prove a negative, it's impossible. All you can do is try to prove he lives somwhere else, even if you couldn't they would have to prove he lived with you and as he doesn't they can't.

BTW what does it say on the electoral register? When our son left home we had his name taken off the electoral register. He still uses our address for some mail and has all parcels sent here as he works.

When did you last fill out the register for your address, did you include his name? If you did then you can phone them up and change it. I think I had to send a signed letter saying he no longer lived here, also I told the housing assiciation.

I can't suggest any more. He's not living with you. Can't he tell them where he is living. Send all his mail back to sender, close any joint accounts he may have with you. Close phone accounts he has at your address, do as much as you can to disacciate yourself with him.

Most of all fight this, contact your MP. You as a single prent are doing as much as you can to stay off benefits but without your tax credits you can't.

dunno why your fretting for. its upto tax credits to prove you ex partner is not residing with

They don't want to prove he's not though :???: But they can prove he does, in their eyes anyway. I would be fretting if they told me my tax credits would be stopping if I didn't prove otherwise tbh.

Il see what they say about this savings account he has and the car insurance which are both registered at his mums. Apart from that i have no idea whatsoever as what to do. Hes sorting out about changing the addresses over now. Little too late, but better late than never. I dont no what else i can do to prove he doesnt reside here... install cctv, who knows =/

Hi rachey can i say your thread is exactly what i am going through as of today word by word what you have wrote i am going through the same except we got back together in december .they are saying that ours goes back from jun 2010 so quite alot of money ,i said he lived at his mums and didnt have any utility bills but he said they have alot of evidence ;even though we were apart we have to pay back till june 2010 and he said they will do it in instalments over a fair few years .

With no evidence that he was living at his mums its practically impossible to prove.

Still scared of being prosecuted but he didnt mention that at all which i suppose is good upto now

How can they prove he is if he isn't?

Um, with the mail going there. That's enough evidence for them to stop the claim. For prosecution purposes they would need to prove beyond a reasonable doubt, for over payment reasons that's not the case unfortunately. They are asking the claimant to supply evidence to prove them wrong.

Our son uses our address for much of his mail and has virtually all parcels delivered here, but he does not live with us. It would be impossible to prove he did not live here, and would need his help to prove he lived somewhere else, but if they came here or watched our property they would see he did not live here. Any person in this position would need the help of either the agency or the person they say lived there to prove otherwise.

Especially if her ex and the agency have a vested interest in not providing proof. It seems wrong that they could decide someone lived somewhere without any positive prove, such as seeing the person leaving the property or having clothes there. Also his mother could be on pension credits HB etc. and would lose money if he lived there (Unless mother was disabled).

It seems very wrong that this person should suffer such and be forced on unemployment benefits. It is impossible to prove something is not only that it is!