Paypal are screwing me over - anything I can do?

lexis200.2
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4497 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, I'm after some advice about a problem I'm having with PayPal after a horrible ebay sell. I do sum up at the bottom so if you don't want to read the whole thing just scroll down:)

On the 22nd November I sold a cd player on ebay for £60 which was to be sent to France. The total cost including postage came to just under £81. The player was fully working when I sent it. On the 4th December I had a message saying the player wasn't working. This was poppycock as I'd sold all my separates and hooked them up before selling to test them, but knowing how buyers have all the power with feedback and whatnot I said as long as he covered the return postage I'd refund the rest.

On the 13th I got a message from him asking where the refund was. I told him I'd not had the player back and asked him for tracking details. No reply.

On the 19th I logged onto PayPal and found that the £81 had been removed from my account and he'd started a dispute against me, telling paypal that the item had been returned but I'd not refunded him. I immediately replied to this stating that he'd not replied to my message, hadn't provided any proof that the item had been sent, and in any case was returning a fully working item which he was claiming now didn't work. I escalated the dispute to a claim (I know I know) as I figured he wasn't going to communicate with me.

I received the item back on the 22nd December, and the dispatch label clearly showed he'd only sent it on the 20th, so not only had he not sent it when he'd demanded a refund, he'd lied to me and Paypal about having sent it.

On opening the parcel I found that he had cut off the moulded and sealed plug from the player, replacing it with a French one, the player that was in full working order when sent to him now doesn't even switch on, and the remote has loose parts in it when it was fine when sent out.

I emailed PayPal to explain this. No reply. I emailed again with a link to photos showing the damage. No reply. Eventually after Christmas when I'd still had no answer, I phoned their customer services. To be fair the chap I spoke to was very understanding, but I was told as I'd confirmed receipt of the item, regardless of the fact it was screwed by the buyer, I'd still have to refund him. After that, I could either ask PayPal to make me an offer to repair, or refuse that and send the whole thing back to them for a full refund. As he's completely buggered it, I opted to send it back.

The email I was told would be with me shortly didn't arrive, and I phoned again today to get it resent. When it arrived I find that I have to send the player to the US (because they are a US company - I hate that excuse, it's the one MBNA always try and fob you off with!) which is going to cost me £40, and which I have confirmed I don't get refunded!

So, I send a perfect condition item out and it's returned very damaged by a man who lied twice about having sent it (My suspicion is that the buyer was trying it on and wanted the refund and to keep the item, but when I escalated to a claim he realised he'd have to send it back and so wrecked it). I still have to refund him even though I can no longer sell the item, so I'm down £81. Now, even though none of this was my fault, and Paypal forced me to refund simply because the item was returned, I have to fork out another £40 to send it to them which will leave me £41 down overall - assuming of course that they do honour their offer to refund the original £81.

Does anyone know if there is anything I can do about this? It seems very wrong that Paypal first make me refund a buyer who has ruined my item, then insist the item must be returned to them in America for a refund (even though I have uploaded proof of the damage), but will not cover that return cost. Is this something that Consumer Direct or any other Body could help me with?

Any thoughts, or even better concrete knowledge;) would be very much appreciated.

Lexis

I hope someone will be able to advise on this. Seems very unfair.

Are you able leave feedback on the person who caused this problem!

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hey there CB:) How's it going? I meant to message you as I've finally got around to pursuing OH's PPI!

It does doesn't it? I'm really gutted as I've not only lost the original money paid, but even if I get a full refund without having to send it back I'm still out of pocket as I don't have a working item to sell anymore:(

And yes, I can leave feedback, but true to ebay and PayPals 'give the buyer all the power' mantra, I can only leave positive feedback (because clearly all buyers are perfectly above board).

That does sound extremely one sided !!

That is good you have started on the PPI claims.. let us know how you get on... Erm, it isnt LTSB is it ?

It would appear they are upholding claims, but taking months to actually issue a cheque for the refund !!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?332184-Has-your-PPI-claim-been-upheld-But-LTSB-delaying-in-sending-payment

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi Lexis,

sorry to hear this .... must be very frustating for you.

My son had a similar problem and he sent a letter( by recorded delivery) to the Managing Director at the following address giving full chronological details of his issue with PayPal;

David Graham Clarke

Managing Director

PayPal (Europe) Ltd

Whittaker House

2 Whittaker Avenue

Richmond Surrey

TW9 1EH

They have a telephone number too.... 020 8439 2000

My son sent his letter a few days ago and has had an e mail telling him the matter is being dealt with.

Good luck

Gbarbm

• Haha 1

Gbarbm

Hi Gbarbm, thanks very much for that, I do like a good bit of letter writing:) I'll definitely give it a go and see if it gets me anywhere - at the very least it'll allow me to get my point across which is impossible on PayPal's site. Just thinking about it, if they have that UK address, why on earth do I have to send it back to the US???

Hey CB, no, it's Halifax (lloyds were my dodgy defaults which I've come up against a brick wall with:(). I'm not holding my breath as it's to do with hubby being a director at the time and it not being suitable, but it's a bit complicated by what he's put on the form. It's for about 10k though so worth a try!

I don't know why they want you to send it to the US...seems odd doesn't it!

Just write to the UK address and if for any reason they want to involve the US office, let them do it.

Cheers

Gbarbm

Gbarbm