Can CSA refuse to accept a monthly payment offer?

Tinnud
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4510 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all.

Long story short... The CSA have ordered that I pay just under £4k in arrears for maintenance for my 3 kids. I have no porblem paying this money but I don't want my ex and her violent thug of a partner getting their grubby little hands on it.

I've offered to pay the arrears into my childrens bank accounts but the ex has refused this offer saying the money is for her, not the kids.

When I spoke to the CSA I offered to pay £20 a month to clear the arrears but was told the arrears had to be paid within 2 years. Is this correct? I've read elsewhere that I can offer to pay these arrears within 5 years and they have to accept this offer.

I'm a little confused and want to get this sorted out as it's been dragging on for a while now.

I'm not trying to avoid my responsibilities, I just don't want my ex and the leech benefitting to the tune of several thousand pounds!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Tinnud

Successfully reclaimed £3379 bank charges from NatWest - 2007 :D

Hmmmmm very interesting

Yes you would be correct any arrears have to b paid in a two year period I know that as I pay by CSS assessment

But I like you want to pay money into my childrens accounts as I am having big probs with ex

Just got off the phone to the CSA (they work on a Sunday??!)

After telling them that they obtained a liability order illegally as I wasn't given the chance to attend the hearing (the CSA told me I wasn't allowed to attend!) the guy apologised that I was mis-informed and then said I would have to pay the arrears over a 2 year period. I replied that, after carrying out extensive research, this advice was also incorrect. I am entitled to make an offer of payment over a reasonable period of time. The law says 5 years is a reasonable period of time so I told him that he had to accept my offer or I would attend any further court hearings and explain that I'd made an offer to pay over this period which was rejected. The judge would then more than likely accept my offer as it was within a reasonable period of time so, to save time and money, it would be beneficial to the CSA to accept my offer.

He hummed and he ahhhd and eventually (reluctantly) accepted my offer 'without prejudice'. He then asked for my credit card to which I laughed and told him that I would only pay via a standing order. He said it would look good on me if I paid via credit or debit card today as it would show I was being compliant! So I reminded him that I have already been lied to by the CSA, to which he had accepted, and that I trusted them even less than I trusted my ex (which is going some!) so any payments would be made via standing order as I would be in control and would have a record of the payment.

So, I think I've now successfully brought this ongoing nightmare to an end. But this is the CSA so no doubt there'll be a twist at some point in the future....!

Tinnud

• 1 month later...

Can they refuse to accept? My partner owes £7000 he has been giving his son cash amounts and buying clothes etc. Ex is screwing the system royally! Living with partner, claiming Income Support and Disability monies although she is completely fit for work?

Well, the guy tried to say I couldn't pay over 5 years Satanette but I TOLD him he had no choice. I said that if the CSA took me to court over it the judge would more than likely throw it out as I'd made a perfectly reasonable offer to pay over what's legally defined as a reasonable period of time. He wasn't best pleased if I'm honest and reluctantly accepted my offer 'without predjudice' (whatever that means??) so as long as I make the payment each month it should be the end of it now.

Get on the phone to them and tell them you will pay over 5 years (£116.67 a month) and there's nothing they can do. Although they will try to bully and intimidate as that's their job....

Tinnud