• Tweets

• Thanks for your prompt reply. I have some questions, please: When you say nothing will happen, my 80 year-old mother is worried about potential DCA doorsteppers if/when the debts are sold on - she is a very sweet, quite vulnerable lady and she is worried she may be bullied and harrassed.  If they do come knocking, what should she say?  I told her to say she knows nothing about any of it and they have no right to come knocking on her door and to warn them police will be informed if they come back.  Problem is, I don't think she would be strong enough and can easily be bullied into saying more than she intended once the door has been answered. Next questions: 1)  Should I inform all my lenders that I have moved abroad before defaulting (to avoid the quirky English law loophole thingy that could end up in a CCJ or worse once a DCA gets hold of it)?  2)  Can/should I provide an alternative UK correspondence address to my lenders instead of my mother's home address e.g. my virtual office address for my business - would the lenders accept this as I live abroad now and don't live at my mother's address?  Can I just write and tell them, without any further ado and not get into any further questions about it and cease further correspondence with them and default?  And would this stop DCAs coming to my mother's house as it would not be my current residential address on the lenders files when passed to the DCA?  Do they doorstep previous addresses? 3)  If I don't provide a UK correspondence address will I be at risk of not being aware of any Letters of Claim etc and legal proceedings notices etc not reaching me (there's no reliable postal system in the developing country I've moved to).  Worried this would mean I could end up being taken to court without being aware of it and could end up in a worse situation. 2) What exactly will go on my credit file once I've defaulted, assuming no legal action is taken against me?    4) Should I contact any of my lenders and inform them I have zero assets.  TSB & Sainsburys already have I&E info from me which shows my income  @ £1200/mth is below the combined total of my debt repayments @ £1300/mth and that my income only just covers essential costs of living @ £1200/mth.  Could it be useful to be on my file that I have no assets, so that the DCA clearly see this when the debt is passed to them? Thanks again for any advice.
    • paypal, but i would like to know if anyone knows if there is a certain time limit they have to refund you? thanks
    • Dear lookinforinfo, I'm sorry if I seem stupid, but what exactly am I telling them? -what code/ law / standard have they broken that I will use as an argument in letter? I don't understand the premise of your argument.  I would appreciate it if you could explain it to me clearly and in simple terms so that I understand.  Thank you   
    • Fraudsters copy the details of firms we authorise to try and convince people that their firm is genuine. Find out why you shouldn’t deal with this clone firm.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Apex Credit Management - strange reply to CCA request. ** SUCCESSFUL OUTCOME **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4026 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi thanks to all for help up to this point:

Santander finally replied to the Dsar. Plus we've had another letter from Clarity.

To recap an Amazon payment of 10.07 made on my (now wife's) old account, placing her £10.04 in "debt." Letters were sent to her old address. When she realised what had happened she paid in the 10.07, yet Santander are demanding a ludicrous £579.97.

Any advice?

qqeejq.jpg

2d1k02w.jpg

Hi Thanks for the reply. what and how would I charge? Is there no way I can contest the punitive Santander fees? It all seems so unfair and unreasonable and they've been hassling us for two years off and on...

The first thing to do is write to 'Clarity' and tell them not to visit, correspondence in writing ONLY! They cannot visit randomly, only with an appointment should you agree but I would TELL them this option is not open to them and you will report them should they keep threatening a visit. Don't pay these bottom suckers a penny. SUN TAN DERRR are the only one's you should be corresponding with with regards to a settlement. I'd offer the £20 OD payment and that's it, they can sing for the rest. Tell Sun Tan Derrr as a customer/ former customer they have a duty of care and are not to hassle you with unreasonable demands. Let them know it's YOU who controls YOUR money, not them. Offer what you think is reasonable to YOU, not them!!! If they went to court, a Judge will consider this. Take control, you control the game play, not them Bottom Suckers and Banksters who created most of the financial mess we are in.

I've had no wage increase for nearly five years, I let these suckers know about it and I dictate to them! Take control, don't be scared - it's only money and you'll feel more confident when YOU take control of the matter.

The Banksta Buster.

:-x :-x

Thanks, yeah I'll certainly be writing to Clarity and banning them from any "visits." I'm not scared by this - I'm just looking for some clarification on the position of legally challenging unreasonable levels of punitive bank charges and how to go about it.

What is showing on your wife's credit report for this?

If the balance is almost wholly comprised of charges, then you should complain about this to the bank and then take them to the FOS. It's unlikely that this will go to court in my opinion but there is a danger that Santander will trash your wife's credit report.

I hate to say it but this goes to show that whilst all banks are bad, Santander are the spawn of Satan.

Hi Seminole,

Thanks for the reply. Haven't had a look at her credit report - will ask. Santander seem truly evil! We'd never touch them with a bargepole again... So My best bet is to write to Clarity informing them that I've contacted Santander about the matter and warn them not to do doorstep/phone contact? Then Santander I write and complain and make an offer to pay a nominal charge (first one perhaps). The balance is 100% charges and that's just ridiculous.

Others may have a different view but the only amount I would pay to Santander is the amount by which the account went overdrawn. I absolutely would not pay any bank charges and challenge them to take me to court but then again I have history with these clowns

:mad2:

I was considering making some form of nominal offer so that if it did go to court I(she)'d been deemed to have made reasonable efforts to settle the dispute... More inclined to go with your approach though. The 10.07 was paid back to them pretty smartly yet they went on adding charges to their charges for being overdrawn (and she was only overdrawn because they'd charged her for being overdrawn!) . When she told them she was so disgusted she was leaving the bank they cared even less and passed it over to Apex, now Clarity. They didn't bother with the first dsar request.. lost the proof of postage, sent another, they replied with mini-bank statements after about 45 days. I'm beginning to see why they make you see red!:-x

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone who has chipped in with advice for this "debt." After using the DSAR to prove that the original £10 owed had been repaid and that the £579.97 being demanded was made up wholly of bank charges I wrote a complaint letter to Santander threatening to report them to the financial Ombudsman if they didn't cancel their claim and close the account.

Amazingly - they agreed to do just that as a "gesture of goodwill"

WIN :whoo:

Oh well done. You must be very relieved this is now over and done with.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks very much Citizen B! Yes great relief as they hassled us no end via a range of DCAs over two years - Very pleased to be rid of them and as ever it's all down to great advice from CAG :-D

I will amend your thread title to reflect your success story :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D