Suggested I go from permanent to cover

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4574 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I hope maybe I can get some advice, I'm not sure if there is anything I can do, but I thought I would ask.

I started working in a school just over 2 years ago as a teaching assistant, all seemed to be going well, I was regularly given lots of praise from senior management, as I went to the school with lots of previous experience.

Unfortunately 6mnths into the job my daughter was having terrible problems at school, she was being bullied & affected her terribly & her health started to suffer that she was under the doctor, I was absolutely worried sick, I went to the Headteacher at the school I was working & she suggested I take time off untill January, which I did, this was obviously without pay, also whilst all the problems were going on with my daughter my num developed breast cancer, & i am an only child so had to try to juggle my time to be there.

I went back to work in the January, & was advised by the head that I should start back on reduced hours & faze my self in, which I went along with, this lasted untill untill July when we broke up for the summer, the head came to speak to me & said that I could only work 2days per week & job share with someone, at no time did I get any thing in writing from the school to say they had changed my working hours, to be perfectly honest I didnt argue with them on it, as I had so much going on.

I went back in September starting on the 2 days per week, then the problems started with my pay, I wasnt getting the correct amount, when I went & asked why this was, I was told that I was only getting paid for the actual hours I work with no sick pay or pay in the holidays, at no time was this ever agreed & all done with out my knowledge, or in writing I challenged this as I had months where I had no pay & some months with wrong pay, I said if I am Job sharing then surley my pay & rights should be the same as the person I m job sharing with, I was told by finance that the head had told them to put me on timesheets, again I had no knowledge of this & so because I hadnt completed timesheets I didnt get paid, considering when I started at the school I was on a permanent contract, with a regular salary every month & I assumed this would be the same even if my hours had been reduced, which was basically forced upon me.

Any way basicaly after a while the agreed to put me back on a salary.

But since then I had to request time off, for special circumstances which they didnt want to grant, so they suggested that I become a cover worker, or if I didnt I would face disciplinary action for taking the leave, so out of panic I agreed.

They called me to a meeting while I was working & said this to me without any prior warning, & wanted an immediate descision.

They promised I would be called for regular cover work, as I said I cant be with out any money.

They called me for one week & I havent heard since.

I have sent numerous emails to the head asking why I hadnt been called, as promised, these were ignored untill eventually she answered saying the most ridiculous thing, "that she wasnt aware I was part time & really they need full time cover".

But she was the one who put me on part time.

I replied that I am available for cover at any time, as I demontrated that first week of cover.

I feel this has been a big set up just to get rid of me & they have played on me when I have been down.

They replaced me immediately.

I havent had one single letter from the school explaining any of the above or to say im no longer working there.

Sorry it is so long winded, I hope someone can advise or help.

Thank you

Edited by mizzbabyjess

Hello there. I'm sorry you haven't had any replies yet. I'm sorry to say it, but one reason could be that the spacing in your first post has gone funny and you can't see the paragraphs. It's too late to edit it now, but you could copy and paste into a new post it and put some paragraphs in. I know that would help me.

I have a couple of questions please. Where are you looking to go with this and are you in a union?

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Sounds very much like as you stated ie a set up. However this is complicated by the fact that you agreed to changes and custom and practice along with business need may give the school a way out. Another problem is time limits and whether you are out of time to take an action against your employer. There may be an element of Associated Discrimination, if you have kept them aware of your social conditions but again this is complicated.

This is not to say that a Tribunal may not find for you because the over riding duty of the ET is to be fair and equitable and they may find, even if you are out of time, that they should at least hear the case.

I think what I am saying is that you are best to seek proper legal advice from a lawyer / employment barrister as I don't think a public forum is the right place for you.

Thank you for your advice. I would also like to add, that at no time have I written a letter of notice and have never received any letters from the school regarding my employment.

I will copy & paste again so it can be read clearly.

Hi, I hope maybe I can get some advice, I'm not sure if there is anything I can do, but I thought I would ask.

I started working in a school just over 2 years ago as a teaching assistant, all seemed to be going well, I was regularly given lots of praise from senior management, as I went to the school with lots of previous experience.

Unfortunately 6mnths into the job my daughter was having terrible problems at school, she was being bullied & affected her terribly & her health started to suffer that she was under the doctor, I was absolutely worried sick, I went to the Headteacher at the school I was working & she suggested I take time off untill January, which I did, this was obviously without pay, also whilst all the problems were going on with my daughter my num developed breast cancer, & i am an only child so had to try to juggle my time to be there.

I went back to work in the January, & was advised by the head that I should start back on reduced hours & faze my self in, which I went along with, this lasted untill untill July when we broke up for the summer, the head came to speak to me & said that I could only work 2days per week & job share with someone, at no time did I get any thing in writing from the school to say they had changed my working hours, to be perfectly honest I didnt argue with them on it, as I had so much going on.

I went back in September starting on the 2 days per week, then the problems started with my pay, I wasnt getting the correct amount, when I went & asked why this was, I was told that I was only getting paid for the actual hours I work with no sick pay or pay in the holidayslink3.gif, at no time was this ever agreed & all done with out my knowledge, or in writing I challenged this as I had months where I had no pay & some months with wrong pay, I said if I am Job sharing then surley my pay & rights should be the same as the person I m job sharing with, I was told by finance that the head had told them to put me on timesheets, again I had no knowledge of this & so because I hadnt completed timesheets I didnt get paid, considering when I started at the school I was on a permanent contract, with a regular salary every month & I assumed this would be the same even if my hours had been reduced, which was basically forced upon me.

Any way basicaly after a while the agreed to put me back on a salary.

But since then I had to request time off, for special circumstances which they didnt want to grant, so they suggested that I become a cover worker, or if I didnt I would face disciplinary action for taking the leave, so out of panic I agreed.

They called me to a meeting while I was working & said this to me without any prior warning, & wanted an immediate descision.

They promised I would be called for regular cover work, as I said I cant be with out any money.

They called me for one week & I havent heard since.

I have sent numerous emails to the head asking why I hadnt been called, as promised, these were ignored untill eventually she answered saying the most ridiculous thing, "that she wasnt aware I was part time & really they need full time cover".

But she was the one who put me on part time.

I replied that I am available for cover at any time, as I demonstrated that first week of cover.

I feel this has been a big set up just to get rid of me & they have played on me when I have been down.

They replaced me immediately.

I havent had one single letter from the school explaining any of the above or to say im no longer working there.

Sorry it is so long winded, I hope someone can advise or help.

Thank you