Advice needed please - Incasso Solicitors - Debt Collecting

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4557 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All.

Would be very grateful if someone could please help

Here is my situation:

- I left me previous Employer back in March, a few months after qualifying as an accountant, and naturally left for a better position elsewhere.

- My contract of employment, which I obviously signed when I started, stated clearly that if I left the company within two years after qualifying, I would be liable to pay back all of my tuition fees (which totalled £2,000)

- When I left the company I didn't realise this was in my contact and I have very recently received an aggressive letter and number of phone calls from a Company called Incasso Solicitors (acting on behalf of my previous employer) demanding the money

- I genuinely left the company not realising I would have been liable for the money and nothing was said to me when I handed in my notice or even before I left

- Now I know I'm liable for this, as I signed the contract, but I've noticed a few things in my contract which I need to discuss with you guys

- Incasso have demanded all the money in one payment or at least two payments, which to be honest i can't afford, especially given the fact it's almost xmas and i've recently moved house

- I've read my entire contract and literally all it says regarding the tuition fees is that if I left the company within two years after qualifying, I would be liable to pay back all the fees. Says nothing about Payment Method, Schedule of Repayments or Time Frame of Repayments etc.

- With this in mind I told the debt collectors that i'm willing to pay back all the money but i want to pay it back over at least 2 years because

1) It gives no detail of repayments in the contract,

2) My current financial situation and

3) If I had to pay these course fees myself during my employment I would have had 3 years to pay them (my length of employment).

- They would not listen to me and insisted I could have no longer than 6 months and that would be pushing it and may be rejected by the management.

- When I queried them about my employment contract they dismissed it saying they weren't interested. - I'm sorry but isn't this the whole point of contract law?!

- Where do you think I stand? I would like to pay these fees back over at least 2 years. Given the information I've provided above, do you think I have a strong case?

Apologies for the bullet points but I wanted to make it as clear as possible.

I appreciate any help you can give me on this

Ryan

Edited by citizenB
formatted for easier reading

It is rather surprising and IMHO a touch spiteful, that the company have taken this route rather than contacting you intially.

As you say, if you had, had to pay these back during employment then you would have had longer..

If you were to repay over 2 years, that would be £41.66 per month.

Why not offer to repay at say £50.00 per month - which would be 40 months. If you find yourself in a position where you could then offer more you could do so !

Meanwhile, I will try and find someone on the Site team who might be able to offer more advice.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Do you know if any other person in the previous company has had to repay these training fees, if they left before the 2 years deadline ?

It has been pointed out that....

As there's no mention of phased repayments in the contract I'm surprised they didn't take it from his final salary payment. They should definitely consider accepting payments over a period of time if they are to show the are being reasonable.

So perhaps write the solicitor a letter based on the comment above

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D