• Tweets

• Shein has been linked to unethical business practices, including forced labour allegations.View the full article
    • Hi I have to agree with @unclebulgaria67 post#3 For the funding side of moving to a new area and it being private supported accommodation I would also suggest speaking to private supported accommodation provider about funding but also contact the Local Council for that area and have a chat with them about funding because if you are in receipt of Housing Benefit certain Supported Accommodation that meets a certain criteria is treated as ‘exempt accommodation’ for Housing Benefit purposes but you need to confirm this with that relevant Council in your new area especially since it is Private Supported Accommodation as each Council can have slightly different rules on this. If you have a certain medical condition look up the charities and also have a wee chat with them as they may be able to point you to different Grants to assist with moving costs and your question about funding for private supported accommodation as well.
    • Hi Just to be clear a Notice to Quit is only the very start of the Housing Association going down the Eviction route there is a long process to go. Also to be clear if you leave at the Notice to Quit date only and go to the Council claiming you are Homeless they will more than likely class you as Intentionally Homeless therefore you have no right to be given temporary housing by the Council. The only way that works is when the Court has Granted a Possession Order then you can approach the Council as Homeless with the Court Order. As for the Housing Association issuing the Notice to Quit because there investigation has proved it's not your main residence but you have witness statement to prove otherwise. From now on with the Housing Association you need to keep a very good paper trail and ensure to get free proof of posting from the post office with anything you send to them. You now need to make a Formal Complaint to the Housing Association and please amend the following to suit your needs:   Dear Sir/Madam FORMAL COMPLAINT Reference: Notice to Quit Letter Dated XX/XX/2024, Hand Delivered on XX/XX/2024 I note in your letter that you stated that the Housing Association has carried out an investigation into myself and came to the conclusion that I am not using this property as my main residence and have evidence of this and have therefore issued a 'Notice to Quit' by XX/XX/2024. I find the above actions absolutely disgraceful action by the Housing Association. 1. Why have I never been informed nor asked about this matter by my Housing Officer. 2. Why have I never been given the opportunity to defend myself before the Housing Association out of the blue Hand Delivered a Notice to Quit Letter. 3. I have evidence and witnesses/statements that prove this is my Main Residence and more than willing provide this to both the Housing Association and the Court. I now require the following: 1. Copy of your Complaints Policy (not the leaflet) 2. Copy of your Customer Care Charter (not the leaflet) 3. Copies of your Investigation into this not being my main residence.    As well as the above you need to send the Housing Association urgently a Subject Access Request (SAR) requesting 'ALL DATA' that simple phrase covers whatever format they hold that in whether it be letters, email, recorded calls etc. The Housing Association then has 30 calendar days to respond but that time limit only starts once they acknowledge your SAR Request. If they fail to respond within that time limit its then off with a complaint to the Information Commissioners Office (ICO).     
    • Hi Sorry for the delay in getting back to you The email excuse and I do say excuse to add to your account and if court decide LL can't recoup costs will be removed is a joke. So I would Ask them: Ask them to provide you with the exact terms within your Tenancy Agreement that allows them to add these Court Fees to your Account before it has been decided in Court by a Judge. Until the above is answered you require these Court Fees to be removed from your Account (Note: I will all be down to your Tenancy Agreement so have a good look through it to see what if any fees they can add to your account in these circumstances)
    • Thank you for your responses. As requested, some more detail. Please forgive, I'm writing this on my phone which always makes for less than perfect grammar. My Dad tries but English not his 1st language, i'm born and bred in England, a qualified accountant and i often help him with his admin. On this occasion I helped my dad put in his renewal driving licence application around 6 weeks before expiry and with it the disclosure of his sleep apnoea. Once the licence expired I told him to get in touch with his GP, because the DVLA were offering only radio silence at that time (excuses of backlogs When I called to chase up). The GP charged £30 for an opinion letter on his ability to drive based on his medical history- at the time I didn't take a copy of the letter, but I am hoping this will be key evidence that we can rely on as to why s88 applies because in the GP opinion they saw no reason he couldn't drive i need to see the letter again as im going only on memory- we forwarded the letter in a chase up / complaint to the DVLA.  In December, everything went quiet RE the sleep apnoea (i presume his GP had given assurance) but the DVLA noticed there had been a 2nd medical issue in the past, when my father suffered a one off mini stroke 3 years prior. That condition had long been resolved via an operation (on his brain of all places, it was a scary time, but he came through unscathed) and he's never had an issue since. We were able to respond to that query very promptly (within the 14 days) and the next communication was the licence being granted 2 months later. DVLA have been very slow in responding every step of the way.  I realise by not disclosing the mini stroke at the time, and again on renewal (had I known I'd have encouraged it) he was potentially committing an offence, however that is not relevant to the current charge being levied, which is that he was unable to rely on s88 because of a current medical issue (not one that had been resolved). I could be wrong, I'm not a legal expert! The letter is a summons I believe because its a speeding offence (59 in a temp roadworks 50 limit on the A1, ironically whist driving up to visit me). We pleaded guilty to the speeding but not guilty to the s87.  DVLA always confirmed to me on the phone that the licence had not been revoked and that he "May" be able to continue to drive. They also confirmed in writing, but the letter explains the DVLA offer no opinion on the matter and that its up to the driver to seek legal advice. I'll take the advice to contact DVLA medical group. I'm going to contact the GP to make sure they received the SAR request for data, and make it clear we need to see a copy of the opinion letter. In terms of whether to continue to fight this, or to continue with the defence, do we have any idea of the potential consequences of either option? Thanks all
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Cap1 & CCA return

tamadus
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4972 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

URGENT

I need chapter and verse, as well as the actual text to back it up, to demonstrate that R3 of the 1983 regs does not apply to S78 requests, and thus the request remains unfulfilled. I have received a final demand this morning giving 14 days. It is dated 12 days ago (went to my old address, despite being notified of my current address). I have no money with which to buy a stamp (I am not joking).

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

URGENT

I need chapter and verse, as well as the actual text to back it up, to demonstrate that R3 of the 1983 regs does not apply to S78 requests, and thus the request remains unfulfilled. I have received a final demand this morning giving 14 days. It is dated 12 days ago (went to my old address, despite being notified of my current address). I have no money with which to buy a stamp (I am not joking).

That can't be done I'm afraid.

The Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents) Regulations 1983 clearly states that R3 applies to all requests for documentation made under any section of the CCA 1974.

Has the lender sent you anything by way of an agreement? Anything at all? If so what have they sent?

If they haven't sent anything then they are in default.

If they have sent something unsigned then they can argue that they have fulfilled their obligations under S78 BUT they still haven't proven the agreement exists, to do this they will still have to provide the properly executed and signed agreement, if necessary before a judge.

What's the current position exactly?

Pete

I will not make any deals with you. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. Number 6

After speaking to both Barclaycard & Rbs they have both said they are going to send me "something" Does not sound to me like that "something" is what was requested though, so i shall wait and see

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.”

That can't be done I'm afraid.

The Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents) Regulations 1983 clearly states that R3 applies to all requests for documentation made under any section of the CCA 1974.

So, in that case, I was right in the first place back when you lot were telling me it didn't apply? ;)

Has the lender sent you anything by way of an agreement? Anything at all? If so what have they sent?

What I have is:

S78(1) says we have to send you this, but R3(2) lets us take some licence with it. So we don't have to send you a photocopy. R7 also says that if we change anything, we have to send you up-to-date terms as well. That's all there, with a statement, and a blank copy of the agreement.

Main details are set out below. $limit, $fee.

Then, what appears to be a document printed from a word processor rather than the actual form:

This is a copy of your Agreement for you to keep. It includes a note about your cancellation rights, which you should read.

Credit Card Agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

$parties, $limit-blurb, $repayment-blurb, $apr, $total-charge, $interest-rates, $interest-blurb, $allocation-blurb*, $charges "You must also pay our costs ..."

Yours sincerely

What immediately stands out there is the lack of note about cancellation rights.

Next in bundle is a statement for October.

Then is a photocopy of the entire leaflet for the original T+C. Then the amendments. Then comes the photocopy of parts of the blank form - namely the T+C, the cancellation form (missing the information presented on the first page, the original rates, charge, etc.)

If they haven't sent anything then they are in default.

The overdraft response was "not covered by CCA", despite the very clear example that the CCA provides to the contrary. Which should be good, because that one's bigger.

If they have sent something unsigned then they can argue that they have fulfilled their obligations under S78 BUT they still haven't proven the agreement exists, to do this they will still have to provide the properly executed and signed agreement, if necessary before a judge.

So, can I force them to fork over a signed copy beforehand, since evidently I can't rely on the non-fulfilment of S78 as things are.

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

PS - the final demand also says this will be recorded with the CRAs, despite the fact that I have served S10 notices on them. Should I get in touch with I.C.O. as well?

After speaking to both Barclaycard & Rbs they have both said they are going to send me "something" Does not sound to me like that "something" is what was requested though, so i shall wait and see

I wouldn't hold your breath re either of those. I'm still waiting..... for them to send me anything at all! Three months now nearly and despite them being informed several weeks ago that I don't acknowledge any agreement or debt!

Pete

I will not make any deals with you. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. Number 6

So, in that case, I was right in the first place back when you lot were telling me it didn't apply? ;)

Now don't be cheeky :D It's complicated! ;) The problem is it does seem to apply but it's illogical because why would a lender send you a "generic" copy if they have the original when they know full well that to prove the agreement they'll have to provide a copy of the original and properly executed agreement anyway - it's not a sensible course of action. Anyone that does this doesn't have the original IMHO.

So, can I force them to fork over a signed copy beforehand, since evidently I can't rely on the non-fulfilment of S78 as things are.

You can't say that they haven't complied with S78. What you can do is say to them that they haven't proven the agreement, please send a copy of the properly executed agreement according to S61 of the CCA 1974. If they plan to take you to court then they'll have to provide the agreement anyway so point out that it wouldn't look too good if they refuse to send it and then later rely on it in court.

Pete

PS - the final demand also says this will be recorded with the CRAs, despite the fact that I have served S10 notices on them. Should I get in touch with I.C.O. as well?

You can but the ICO is as much use as a chocolate fireguard. The bank will go ahead regardless; you can threaten them with court action if they do but then you'll have to follow that through if needs be and that can get messy.

Pete

At this point, since it's now over 3 weeks since the date on the response (which might have arrived within the 12+2 - I'd have to double-check my original request), I'm wondering whether it would be seen as bad faith if I were to wait just a little longer to make such a request, citing that the deadlines from the original request (i.e. "You will have committed an offence within X days of this letter"). Of course, I have my excuse for the delays - I am taking counsel from many different people at vast distances from home (while also keeping my own - very important, that part).

I have a situation which needs the original copy to be viewed, upon signing the original copy I belive i had requested PPI, thisis crossed and signed for on teh original agreement, however there has been no PPI set up on the loan. They can send me what the agreement would have looked like but it won't solve the problem.

I was hoping my request for the original on grounds of my complaint would warrant even more the original being made available to me.?

any thoughts appreciated.

BL:)

Hi All

Was wondering if you could help a little! I sent a cca request to Droyds debt collection agency regarding a debt to Vertbaudet for £130.41. This was because i can honestly not recall it. Today i received a letter which included a blank credit agreement and a computer printout stating a balance owing of £130.41 but not stating what for. They are saying that these enlosures comply with the request as a signed copy is not required under regulation 3. My question: does that mean i just have to pay up even if i dont know what for?

Thanks in advance!

Emma

If its a debit that originated form lloyds the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) will tell you every thing.

You shouldnt have to pay for anything you have no information about.

Get the SAR off with £10 and they have 40 days to reply.

If you have a debit collection company on your back you could ask them for the written documment which gives them the right to collect the loan. The documnet would have been given to them as they took over the debit

LLoyds are the hardest and in my eyes the most unlawfull players in main stream Banking and how they are getting away with thier bullying is discussting.:-x

i recieved a copy from rbs signed by me, but Barclaycard have just sent a copy of the act no box to sign or sinature and just asterixed the main point of it!

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.”

It's starting to look like the scenario we talked about a few weeks ago is coming true.

Does nobody think it strange that so many are only sending out blank agreements, application forms etc ?

I may be way of base here but I think they don't have these agreements, otherwise they would be able to settle everything with one letter.

Barclaycard are still very quiet after I told them I was cancelling all payments until they could show me the proper agreement. I have a sneaky feeling they are going to regret trying to hide behind the microfiche argument as a lot of people are now sending sec.77/78 requests which they can't satisfy fully.

Alliance & leicester:Settled 8/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/alliance-leicester-successes/19700-tamadus-l.html?highlight=tamadus

Capital One:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/capital-one/16644-tamadus-capital-one.html?highlight=tamadus

MBNA 2 accounts:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-institutions-successes/13831-tamadus-mbna-i.html?highlight=tamadus

Smile:Settled 15/11/06

Egg Card:S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 2/10/06

GE Money:S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent3/8/06 LBA sent 26/9/06

Abbey:ERC prelim sent 14/9/06. LBA sent 2/10/06. Now it's getting interesting so keep watching

Barclaycard:In criminal default watch this space

Lloyds TSB:In criminal default watch this space

If my comments have been useful please click the scales and let me know.

Does nobody think it strange that so many are only sending out blank agreements, application forms etc ?

I may be way of base here but I think they don't have these agreements, otherwise they would be able to settle everything with one letter.

Maybe they saw this coming and it is the reason they pushed the amendment in CCA 2006 to remove the total unenforceability of an agreement due to it not being properly executed.

Best Wishes

MoonHawk

I think it would be a good idea.

Mahatma Gandhi when asked what he thought of Western civilization

Advice & opinions of MoonHawk are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Lloyds TSB - Unlawful charges - Settled £8,807.68

Motor Help UK - Misrepesentation Act - Settled £111.25 (Thread Here)

Next Directory court action without a CCA for £605 - Settled & account closed (Thread Here)

CABOT - Can not produce CCA and refusing to accept it - In progress

Aktiv Kapital - Can not produce CCA and also refusing to accept it - In progress

Barclaycard - Can not produce CCA for an account of £2,000. After a long fight used CPR - Settled

I have just received the following letter from the DTI, via my MP:

Foreign & Commonwealth Office

November 2006 Rt Hon an McCartney MP

MINISTER FOR TRADE, INVESTMENT AND

FOREIGN AFFAIRS

Michael Foster MP Our Ref: TG1598480

House of Commons

London

SW1A OAA

Re: Consumer Credit Act 1974

Thank you for your letter of 31 October to Alistair Darling, enclosing correspondence from your constituent, Number6 of Worcester, about the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (CCA) and its operation in conjunction with the Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents) Regulations 1983 (CCR). I am replying as this matter falls within my portfolio.

Your constituent has noted that the CCA gives the borrower the right to demand a signed copy of the agreement between the parties. Your constituent is aware the Department has replied to his colleague within the CAG stating it believes that the CCR does indeed apply to CCA S. 77 and 78 - Interesting. Yes I am aware but how does the DTI know that I'm aware?. The CCR exempts the lender from having to provide the signed versions of the documents. Your constituent believes that this opens the door to ‘unscrupulous lenders’, who may use copies of application forms received by them to falsely allege the existence of a contract where there is none; for example, where the application was rejected by the lender or no such contract ever existed.

Your constituent states his belief that vulnerable consumers may be at a disadvantage as they could be led to believe that they have a contract with the company when they do not. Your constituent believes that ‘unscrupulous lenders’ may allege contracts and require consumers to pay money that they don’t owe by presenting copies of, for example, failed application forms. As the companies do not need to present signed copies of any alleged agreement, your constituent believes this creates a legal loophole which may be used to entrap consumers. Also, your constituent believes that consumers lack the opportunity to get free advice about debt and they could be deterred from taking legal action on a cost basis.

In the situation described above, ‘unscrupulous lenders’ are breaking the law by demanding money not owed to them and this would be a matter of fraud rather than consumer credit. While the potential exists for the scenario outlined above, we have yet to receive evidence that this is a real problem that affects many consumers.

If this situation was to arise, I believe a vulnerable consumer should have access to good, free legal advice. The Government is particularly concerned to ensure that consumers are able to access timely and appropriate advice.

The Government funds Consumer Direct which offers free help to all consumers and can be called on any consumer matter. Ifa consumer were to ring them, then it is possible that they may be able to point out the falseness of the contract.

On specific issues of consumer debt, we have been working extremely closely with the free debt advice sector to improve its capacity to deal with clients, introduce sustainable funding thus preventing the uncertainty currently being experienced, and improving standards within the sector.

Increasing capacity is obviously a vitally important part of this work. We aim to do this by developing a Gateway to the free debt advice sector, particularly telephone-based services. These will ensure consumers are directed to the most appropriate service for the circumstances reducing pressure on services, which are often overwhelmed by callers who would best be helped elsewhere. This goes alongside increased funding for the free telephone based services, which allow them to deal with more clients.

The Government has awarded the £45 million of the Financial Inclusion Fund allocated to free face-to-face debt advice to 14 projects across England and Wales. The funding will be split over a 2-year period - £15m in 2006-7 and £30 million in 2007-8 and will fund around 450 new advisors.

The primary aim of this project is to deliver an increase in the number of advisers, and in the number of hours of advice provided, within financially excluded areas and to disadvantaged social groups.

IAN McCARTNEY

I'm writing back to query certain aspects and I'll update when I know more.

Pete

Guest The Terminator

Pete: Just read the response from the MP that you posted.My first thoughts are that he has tried to paper over the cracks.It is obvious to everyone on this forum that if there is no evidence of a valid contract being in place then any alleged debt is unenforceable.It's amazing that the Minister didn't pick up on this and about" unscruplous lenders" which I beleive are very valid points.It's a typical response from a politican and it may be an idea if the group as whole put on more pressure as it is evident that the lenders are not fullfilling their obligations under the Act.

Guest The Terminator
It's starting to look like the scenario we talked about a few weeks ago is coming true.

Barclaycard are still very quiet after I told them I was cancelling all payments until they could show me the proper agreement. I have a sneaky feeling they are going to regret trying to hide behind the microfiche argument as a lot of people are now sending sec.77/78 requests which they can't satisfy fully.

The point is Tam that they don't have the agreements.I have specifically asked MBUSA and Humpty for a copy of the original agreements and they have informed me that they are only kept for a period of three years.Surprise Surprise!! Which leads me to another point about these showers of s--t.If this is their policy then after three years they destory the original agreement then where is the evidence that it actually existed.The whole point of the judical system is that evidence is 9 parts of the law so the way that I see it is that no agreement = no evidence = no debt.Onus of proof is on the lender if he cannot produce the original documents then the contract is null and void.

Terminator,

Two issues are getting confused and must be seperated.

First is the meaning of the legislation as clarified by the MP. This is clear and on re-reading all the relevant legislation there is not reasonable scope to interperet this is any other way that the court will accept. The courts take things quite literally.

Second issue whether there is any evidence of a contract between the parties outside of the signed agreement itself. Banks will be able to show whether someone has been paid a loan and if so where it has been paid to, ie another bank account in the borrowers name. If the agreement is for a credit card or overdraft then the bank will be able to show the financial history and usage of the account. They will also be able to show all of the correspondence exchsnged over the years.

The courts are not stupid and will infer from reasonable evidence that you do have an account or loan with them.

On a more important note you should realise that in any contract with a bank there is a clause saying that you will indemnify them for any costs they incur in recovering monies from you. If you force them to go to court on the basis of (1) a clear missinterpretation of the legislation which you ther is no chance of winning on, and (2) by just denying that you have any contract with them just to be difficult, then you should be aware that this will not be looked upon very favourably by the judge and will end up paying costs that could be substantial.

I am not saying dfon't do what you want to do but these are jsut a couple of important points to remember.

I intend to submit this request for further clarification. I would welcome comments before I send it:

Dear MP,

Thank you for your letter of 21st November enclosing a copy of a letter from the Rt Hon Ian McCartney MP concerning the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (The Act) and the Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents) Regulations 1983 (CCR).

Ian McCartney confirms that the CCR exempts a lender from providing copies of the signed original documents in fulfilment of a Statutory Demand under Sections 77 and 78 of The Act.

For the benefit of myself and my collegues within CAG could the DTI please confirm what, in the opinion of the DTI is an acceptable form of copy for a lender to provide following such a demand?

Section 77 and 78 of The Act states:

"The creditor under a regulated agreement for fixed-sum credit, within the prescribed period after receiving a request in writing to that effect from the debtor and payment of a fee of [£1], shall give the debtor a copy of the executed agreement (if any) and of any other document referred to in it"

Note the reference to "executed agreement". In order for an agreement under The Act to be properly executed Section 61 of The Act states:

"A regulated agreement is not properly executed unless—

(a) a document in the prescribed form itself containing all the prescribed terms and conforming to regulations under section 60(1) is signed in the prescribed manner both by the debtor or hirer and by or on behalf of the creditor or owner, and

(b) the document embodies all the terms of the agreement, other than implied terms, and

©the document is, when presented or sent to the debtor or hirer for signature, in such a state that all its terms are readily legible.

So The Act states that the agreement must be signed by both parties to the agreement, must contain all of the terms of the agreement and be clearly legible. Unless ALL of these conditions are met the agreement is not properly executed and cannot be enforced except by a court order.

Could the DTI then please explain the purpose behind the CCR allowing a lender to send an unsigned piece of paper which may or may not contain the terms of the original agreement and does nothing to confirm the legibility or otherwise of the original?

In the case of a disagreement between a lender and an alleged debtor the only way the lender could prove the debt exists would be to provide the original signed and executed agreement so why not produce it in the first place? The only reason that I and my CAG colleagues can think of for a lender to produce an unsigned "copy" is if the original does not exist, in which case no purpose is served. In fact no purpose is served either way, whether the agreement exists or not except possibly to coerce an individual who is unaware of their rights into accepting an unlawful agreement.

Furthermore it has been drawn to my attention that the 2006 Consumer Credit Act (CCA2006) will remove the safeguards currently conferred by Section 65 of The Act (1974), namely that an improperly executed unsigned "agreement" cannot be enforced by a court. I am advised that the CCA2006 will allow enforcement of a debt without requiring the production of any agreement. Would the DTI please clarify this point urgently.

Would the DTI also confirm on what date the CCA2006 comes into force and whether agreements allegedly entered into prior to this date will be subject to its new provisions.

To summarise can the DTI:

1) Please confirm for the benefit of myself and my collegues within CAG what, in the opinion of the DTI is an acceptable form of copy for a lender to provide following such a demand?

2)Please explain the purpose behind the CCR allowing a lender to send an unsigned piece of paper which may or may not contain the terms of the original agreement and does nothing to confirm the legibility or otherwise of the original?

3) Explain the apparent removal of the current safeguard afforded by Section 65 of The Act.

4) Confirm the date that CCA2006 comes into effect and whether agreements made prior to the enactment date will be subject to it's provisions in any way.

Once again, thank you for you help.

Yours sincerely,

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4972 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks