Moorcroft debt, not really sure what to do.

Alastor
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4570 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok, I know absolutely nothing about the way Banks and loans and whatnot work so I may come across as an idiot here but basically, I've just left Uni and as such, had Student Debit account with my bank Natwest.

As I understand it, the Student Loans and Grants I took out for the three years were a set sum put into my account, if I have no Money I have nothing to spend but somehow I've got a £300 debt up somehow and I first knew about it when Moorcroft first sent a letter to me saying I should ring up and set up a Payment Plan in the next 7 days. I handed the letter to my Mum who said she'd sort it but it seems she didn't as I've got another letter a few days ago saying because I didn't respond by agreeing to pay an acceptable lump sum I have 14 days to contact them or face court action.

But I have less than £100 in my account and I haven't even got a job yet, I simply cannot pay it in time.

Am I in serious trouble here? I'm too scared to contact them because I know I will fold under their bullying tactics, what are my options here?

Don't worry yourself unnecessarily. Moorcroft are bully boys but whilst they may huff and puff there is almost certainly no intent to take you to Court. They would not be able to in any case unless they OWN the debt, so have you had anything from Natwest which would suggest that they do?

Never EVER phone Moorcroft. Insist that everything is dealt with in writing, and start by writing to ask them to prove the debt. You might also send a SAR to Natwest to establish how the amount has been arrived at - you may not owe what they are claiming anyway! This will at least allow you time to find out where you are and decide what to do. If you agree that the debt is owed, then you can only pay what you can afford and even if this is only £1 a month, then that is all that they will get from you and there is not a thing they can do about it!

Send everything Recorded Delivery and stop worrying. No doubt you have had letters from Moorcroft's mythical 'Pre-Court Division'. This is simply one desk away from the 'Home Collections Division' and in reality are simply different letterheads to exert differing degrees of pressure!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

I don't recall any letters from Natwest telling me I had this debt, that's why I was so shocked at the letter from Moorcroft, the first letter they sent (Which I can't seem to find >_

I went into Natwest with the first letter as soon as I got it but the woman said if they sent it then I need to deal with them.

And the problem is I don't have a job, don't I need a regular income to set up a payment plan of even £1 a month or they're just going to say that hen I run out of money I have now then I can't fulfill the payment plan.

I'm pretty worried about this, lets just say they do own the debt and I don't manage to sort this out in their 14 day deadline next week, what will happen to me, will bailiffs knock on my mum's door or can I go prison? :(

No you can't go to prison.

A collector has no rights to call unless you agree to them doing so.

Their 14 day 'deadline' means absolutely nothing.

Write and tell them that you dispute the debt, do not acknowledge it and will not communicate further unless they provide information to substantiate their claim. Nothing more than that.

Is the account still live with Natwest?

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

But for all I know, it's a fair debt, like I said, I don't know squat about banks, if it is all my fault for being ignorant, I do intend to pay I just would like to be given a chance to set myself up.

Their 14 day 'deadline' means absolutely nothing.

Seriously?

Do you mean they'll send some slimy collector round that I can tell to go away and that's it or is the deadline a complete scare tactic?

Yes, it's live with Natwest.

Do you mean they'll send some slimy collector round that I can tell to go away and that's it or is the deadline a complete scare tactic?

the slimy collector, if indeed it calls can be told to fu/off. the deadline from a dca is indeed a scare tactic, never ever phone a dca, only in writing, and never ever pay a dca unless they have the correct paper work,,,,,,,,

Hi I agree with the above posters and please remember that DCA's have a habit of sending claims for payment to anyone in the area whose name is anywhere near the person they want this is why we say make the DCA prove that the debt is yours and they have the legal right to collect it. You would be surprised how many times a DCA will pass a debt back to a creditor when challenged.

dpick

"You would be surprised how many times a DCA will pass a debt back to a creditor when challenged."

Yes - I was thinking of papering the kitchen with all the letter re that I have ...

Have they breached OFT guidelines on collection?

If so threaten back.