Problems with ADVENT laptop from day one! REPAIR AFTER REPAIR

AndyK93
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4540 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I purchased an Advent Modena Laptop from the PCWORLD website on 09/08/2010. Roughly 6 weeks later I had to send it for repair due to a webcam malfunction and various parts were changed, At this point I decided to buy a WHATEVER HAPPENS policy.

The laptop has since been away numerous times, and each repair has caused other problems as the recovery partition has not been reinstalled and the copy of windows has not been validated and one time I was even sent the wrong charger. Each time I have had to spend time and money on the phone trying to rectify each fault.

I deciced to have a look on the 'KnowHow' website to have a look at the T&C's & benifits of my policy. I was quite surprised that they have a benefit called which states a ‘No Lemons Guarantee which states if your computer goes wrong after 3 repairs you can request a replacement’ I then read on to read the small print which states ‘If you have originally purchased a product labelled as ‘previously owned’ or ‘non-pristine’ our 7 day and 21 day promises do not apply and you will receive vouchers to the value of the original price paid’

After reading that I was then wondering why I was rejected a replacement when I was on the phone to an advisor after my laptop had broken for the forth time. I asked if a replacement of the product was possible and the advisor said that it wasn’t and all that they could do is get it collected to be repaired again.

I received a call in response to my last letter dated 3rd August, 2011. I was informed by the advisor Marie, Customer Action Team, that if there was a problem when I received my laptop back from repair, I would be offered a replacement or give me my money back. I was satisfied with this and felt that my problem was being fairly dealt with. I feel I am being treated unfairly as when I asked to have my call transferred to Marie this was refused.

On Friday 12th August i received my laptop back from repair for the 7th time. I was handed the laptop & charger from your delivery driver and was asked to I signed the paperwork. It became apparent that the charger was the incorrect one for my laptop, it was a TOSHIBA charger and my laptop is an ADVENT laptop. I spoke to the delivery person who told me to contact the call centre once again. I thought that they might have changed the charger but the plug was incompatible. The lid of the laptop which had been replacement had deep scratches and would not go when rubbed with a cloth.

I then rang the number that 'Marie' gave me if any problems occurred on return. When I finally got to a human voice I asked to be put through to MARIE in the CUSTOMER ACTION TEAM. It seemed like the advisor ignored me so I repeated it and the advisor on the phone told me that this wasn’t possible. She then transferred me to Technical Support.

When I was transferred, I was told that my laptop would need to be sent for replacement again! The useless advisor told me this would enable them to replace the top lid and locate my charger. Further into the call, I was told that the laptop would be sent away for one week which is quite ridiculous for just replacing the charger & changing the lid as this would take twenty minutes as I have done it myself on another laptop. I was very dissatisfied with this service, as a student I have got coursework to complete over the summer break and I have no laptop to use.

Once again my laptop is now away again for repair due to a hard drive failure which is surprising as it was only returned less than a month ago. I am a student and need my laptop in my studies and can no longer rely on this laptop as personally i think that it not fit for purpose. No product should have to be returned so many times in one year for repair.

I just dont know what to do abiut my laptop anymore it is beyond a joke, I have thought about seeking advice from Trading Standards about to suitability of this product but i am not sure if i have a strong enough case and if any good will come out of this. I know that they have broken a few laws (since i am doing business studies) but they are not arsed about them. I just need a reliable laptop that i can use for my studies. I have thought about selling it and buying elsewhere but i wont get all of the money back from the price what i paid for it.

Please someone help me to try and sort this out!

Write to them outlining all the faults and the number of repairs, (RECORDED DELIVERY) Make it clear to them that the goods are not fit for the purpose and that you wish to exercise your Statutory Rights under the terms of the Sale of Goods act and reject the goods.

Don't take any s**t about their terms and conditions, THEY CANNOT UNDERWRITE STATUTE.

Hope this helps.

I have written 3 letters to them and i don't receive any good from them. If you read the paragraph where i received a response from my letter dated 3rd August. Just gets passed person to person. I have explained it to a manager in the pc world shop and they said that its not their area and that i needed to get in touch with the Head Office, which i have done many times!

Having read your 1st post it does seem that the problems are not with the actual laptop. Not re-imaging the hard drive properly and sending out wrong parts and fitting wrong parts is not down to the actual laptop manufacturer, but rather the shoddy repair work.

Send a brief email to John Browett, Chief Executive [email protected]

List the problems that you've had with bullet points, and tell what you want reguarding repair of your laptop and compensation for all your wasted time, tell him you baught from PCWorld as you thaught they would have a strong after service and repairs team. See what the CEO's department replies.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

they do have a poor service history write off route as well

book it in then ask the advisor to send an email to the investigation team requesting this route

i would make the point though that the toshiba adaptor is a valid replacement as it uses the same pin and voltages as the advent (19v 3.45a/20v 3.25a)

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

• 1 month later...