• Tweets

• On interviewing members of the 'gathering of 10s of people, who huddled together in a small village pub car park with the bus and other vehicles with room to spare, other excited comments were offered: 'wheres the free chip van we were told was here?' a group of 9 locals asked 'Isn't this Angelas' battle bus?' from another significant group comprising over 10% of the total (11) 'We thought it was  30p Lees' resignation speech? retorted what seemed to be the largest grouping (25)   A large percentage (6 or 7) of the crowd of 10's were apparently so impressed with the 2 very small looking figures hidden away on the top of the double decker, they repeatedly called for knighthoods for the right pair: "2 Sirs" "2 Sirs" was continually heard 
    • Hi yes I didn’t scan 4 things went to the kiosk and they asked me for my receipt. It was ASDA no police were called I paid for the goods and they gave me letter saying I’m banned for a year. 
    • Hello, welcome to CAG. Can you tell us more about what happened please? Who stopped you and which shop? Best, HB
    • You don't mention what the debts are, which is important, as it really depends on the details in deciding best course of action. So list types of debt e.g credit card, type of loan, utility bill; current owner bank or dca; approximate amount for each debt.  And do you own any property assets. There is no blanket advice regarding all types of debts. Whoever you contact regarding debt advice would want to know all of the information. The debt buying businesses deal with multi billions worth of debts. They can't issue Court claims for most debts as the cost of pursuing would be ruinous and don't have staff resources. Instead they rely on credit records being impacted and therefore people need to resolve the debts. And they rely on anxious debtors paying amounts after receiving threatening communications. If you know you are likely to be made redundant, start looking for other employment soon. Due to longer recruitment processes being followed by employers, it can take about 3 months between applying and starting a new job.
    • Hi I was caught shoplifting 4 items £20 worth, I’m petrified the Police will come to my house now please can you help. What can I do I worried about my job. 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Statutory Demand - old britannia per loan Connaught Collections / First Credit

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4633 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

This is my first post to the forum.

I could really use some advice here.

I have received a Statutory Demand from Connaught collections (1st Credit). I wish to defend against this but until now was not sure what I could do and have let the 18 days pass (i think - read on :-) ).

The Statutory Demand was delivered by a registered post service and marked to be signed for by the addressee only. However, it was not served in person by a Process Server.

Am I able to still contest the Statutory Demand, even after the 18 days, on the basis that:

• It was not served personally and correctly
  • It is possible this is an abuse of process
  • I don't think I ever received a Notice Of Assignment from original company to 1st Credit. (It appears Connaught Collections is a trading name of 1st Credit).

If not, will I have to defend this in court if they submit a Bankruptcy Petition?

I also have a letter from them which states that they are now in a position to present a Bankruptcy Petition and that I have failed to either respond to the Statutory Demand or demonstrate an ability to pay.

This is untrue.

I have had one phone call with them, where I made an offer to pay in installments, which was declined. I was then invited to write to them which I did subsequently and have not had any reply. Unfortunately, I did not send this letter by registered post, perhaps I should have done.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

whatever debt this is does it show on your CRA file?

and if so what is the history on the debt please

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi,

Thanks for you quick response.

The debt does not appear under Britannia (original company) or 1st Credit on my on-line credit report from Experian.

This was originally a loan which I took out, which has not had payments made in a considerable time but I did contact them to try and make an offer recently (before the issue of the statutory demand).

Please let me know if you need any more information.

does it show at all?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

urm...

something fishy here

thats prob not a genuine sd then

they do get sent out like confetti!

as a frightener

you say you made recent contact

who too a fleecing DCA?

tell us the debt story

dx

and they

You need to be very cautious as Connaught usually carry out their threats.....is the debt possibly statute barred ? Have you sent off a 'CCA' request ? - You can apply to the courts for a 'time out' statutory demand - I had recently heard that this doesn't cost anything..... - You might also find this thread useful - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?309388-capquest-statutory-demand

Ok, on with the story :-)

the short verison is:

This is one of several debts I have.

This particular one was an unsecured personal loan with Britannia.

I am a freelance IT consultant and I took a hit when the economy struggled.

I had extended periods out of work and have worked for less then my previous rate when I have been working

. Also, my partner and daughter are both disabled

and and i've had to take time off to care for them.

Being freelance, I am only paid when I work.

I have not paid anything to this loan in about a year.

1st Credit appear to now own it. (or so they say).

Recently 1st credit sent me letters.

One threatening statutory demand, after which I called them but they did not accept my proposal.

Then, the statutory demand.

Thirdly, a letter saying they intend to now pursue a bankruptcy petition.

The SD looks in order, but my knowledge is limited at best.

It has A signature of representative, names a court, states the amount etc.

How can I now confirm if the SD is genuine?

Thanks again for your continued help!

The original loan, or the 1st credit interest in it does not appear on my Experian file.

The statutory

It is likely to be genuine.....however what is disturbing is that they have turned down a repayment offer from you....(although this in itself is not enough to set aside) The then undersecretarty of state for trade and consumer affairs said this....

"Debt collectorslink3.giflink3.giflink3.gif who issue stat demands without giving debtors reasonable opportunities to agree a repayment schedule are likely to be in breach of the OFT's debt collectionlink3.gif guidance. This guidance outlines the type of business practice that the OFT consider unfair and therefore incompatible with fitness to hold a consumer credit licence."

1st creditlink3.gif and Connaught had a broadside from the OFT back in 2009 (this is why it is important that you contact the OFT)

20/09 25 February 2009

The OFT has taken action against 1st Credit Ltd requiring the company to improve its debt collection practices.

The OFT has imposed 'requirements' on 1st Credit using consumer credit powers, after an investigation found that some of its business processes and procedures failed to meet satisfactory standards. As a result, 1st Credit Ltd and its associated companies must:

• refrain from issuing statutory demands warning of bankruptcy where it is unlikely that proceedings will be initiated
  • not discuss legal action with consumers unless it is likely that such action will be taken
  • ensure that sensitive cases involving vulnerable individuals, for example those with mental health or medical problems, are dealt with appropriately, and
  • ensure that all matters of concern raised with them by the free advice sector and other third parties are dealt with appropriately.

1st Credit must also report back to the OFT every six months providing statistics regarding the number of enforcement actions it has taken against debtors.

Failure to comply with the requirements could lead to a fine of up to £50,000 for each occurance and/or possible revocation of 1st Credit's consumer credit licence.

In 2008, following receipt of an application to vary an associated company's licence, the OFT carried out an in-depth investigation into the business practices and procedures employed by companies operating under the 1st Credit banner. In assessing the companies' competence to carry out consumer credit activities, the OFT conducted on-site visits and reviewed complaints received about 1st Credit Ltd's debt collection practices via consumers, Citizens Advice, CCCS and Consumer Direct.

The OFT raised concerns about its dissatisfaction with 1st Credit's behaviour and confirmed that it was looking to impose requirements to improve some of the company's business practices. 1st Credit acknowledged the problems and, as allowed under the Consumer Credit Act, proposed necessary changes to address the OFT's concerns.

Ray Watson, OFT Director for Consumer Credit, said:

'The OFT welcomes the constructive approach that 1st Credit has taken in responding to the OFT's concerns about its activities.

'Debt collection firms have a clear legal obligation to deal fairly and proportionately with consumers. This is more important than ever given the current economic climate, when people may already be suffering as a consequence of debt problems. We will continue to use our licensing powers to take firm action to protect consumers where debt collectors engage in oppressive behaviour or practices that fail to comply with our guidance.'

You MUST report them to the OFT too...

whom were you paying 1 yrs ago

and when was the loan first taken out

dx

and they

Hi again DX,

I think it's actually been closer to two years or more since the account first got into problems. I was paying Britannia directly. I think the original loan was taken out three-ish years ago. I've never paid a penny to 1st Credit.

42man:

What you posted makes an interesting read. I will definitely follow up with a complaint to the OFT.

something fishy if it does not show on your CRA file.

1 wonder if brits wrote it off against tax years ago and 1st crap-it have brought it on a phishing list and are trying to spoof you.

i would NOT indicate to them anything at present.

poss an SAR to brit?

dx

and they