housing benefit query

callii123
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4613 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, wonder if anyone can help with this- I am unemployed at the moment and will shortly be moving into a rental property with a private landlord. I have been told by various rental agencies that because I am not working I will have to pay 6 months rent upfront. As I have just received a small inheritance (which does not take me over the £16,000 H Ben limit) I can pay this amount initially but can I claim H Ben back for the six months I will have paid upfront once it has been paid ?

Hi Callii

Housing Benefit is paid from the day you move into the property (if you claim within the same week), you can also make a claim before your tenancy starts as long as you know the address etc. You will obviously need to provide the TA when you get I, you won't get paid before you actually move in but just saves a bit of time.

Housing Benefit will not cover any deposit but if this is actual rent then you can have the benefit paid to you keep that for the 6 months that you have already paid for then. Then when you've caught up just then forward the HB payment to your landlord each week/month.

Hope this helps.

Myfamily

Housing Benefit will not cover any deposit but if this is actual rent then you can have the benefit paid to you keep that for the 6 months that you have already paid for then. Then when you've caught up just then forward the HB payment to your landlord each week/month.

Hope this helps.

Myfamily

How? Because the Op would've already paid rent for 6 months.

Have a read of the guides on http://www.shelter.org.uk/ they're excellent.

If you have any questions give them a call as they have advice lines with trained advisors.

There's one thing which needs checked out and that is would 6 months rent paid in advance be classed for benefit purposes as "deprivation of capital". That's when the benefits office decides that you have spent money to decrease your savings to claim more benefit.

Depends on how much that would be if we're talking London prices then that's £3000 min for a room £6000 for a bed sit.

So does anybody know that answer as I don't? Shelter would.

The other thing is that 6 months in advance is taking the Michael. I might stretch to 2 months but 6 no way especially if you can prove that you have savings that would cover it. Also would that be classed as a deposit or would you pay 6 months in advance then have to pay monthly on top of that figure?

Most Landlords are concerned that you would not be able to pay the rent until the benefit was awarded and paid which takes a min of 8 weeks (usually longer) so that fact that you have savings which would cover this should be a good bargaining point.

Maybe once the deprivation question's answered get this moved to the Residential lettings section (click the triangle symbol bottom left under posts to ask for it to be moved here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?65-Residential-and-Commercial-Lettings) as they should be able to give you some help and pointers on finding somewhere without paying 6 months in advance.

Personally I'd be looking at private landlords or finding an agency who are not asking for 6 months.

@ Nyst - It's quiet normal for people to have to cover rent from savings when waiting for LHA to come through

@MyFamily - you can get help with deposits too