• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Paying double for TV licence?

hhh_88873
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4355 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi chaps. having read through the posts, we do indeed have broadband, but via a mobile dongle.

now for noe, it would batter our 15gig allowance to watch Iplayer anyway so we dont, and second the signal is so poor where we live we only just about get a signal to connect anyway, streaming is out of the question.

Ive not yet had a response from either licensing or capita, Ill update when I do.

Ill also update after I go to the police station tomorrow.

The police are no good at all when it comes to dealing with the threatening/misleading behaviour of TV Licensing. This is because most police are unfamiliar with the Communications Act 2003 and the power it confers on the Licensing Authority (the BBC). They're also not that interested because the TV Licensing propaganda machine has done that good a job of filling their heads full of nonsense.

If TV Licensing wanted to pursue your case any further then their visiting salesman would have to produce a prosecution statement at the time he visited your property. He would also have needed to hand over a copy of that statement to whoever was there for them to sign. If no statement exists, which seems likely as there is no evidence of wrongdoing (plus you haven't mentioned it), then I would not expect to hear any more about this.

Campaigning against TV Licensing's harassment of legitimate non-viewers.

They have to prove that you are watching live television. You're perfectly entitled to watch stuff off the iPlayer or ITV Player as long as it's not live. You can watch stuff off of youtube etc. as long as it's not live. Oddly enough, if you are watching ANY LIVE TELEVISION on ANY MEDIUM (laptop/tv/phone/computer/anything) then you need a licence.

Just because you have a TV is not enough of a reason to demand you have a licence. If they take you to court they must prove you watch live television. You don't have to answer any of their questions and they are not allowed to enter your property without a court order. Even if they enter and there's a television in there it still isn't proof. Clearly, if you're not watching television you probably wouldn't have an aerial connected to it.

I stopped buying a licence years ago, everything I want to watch I watch the next day.

They have to prove that you are watching live television. You're perfectly entitled to watch stuff off the iPlayer or ITV Player as long as it's not live. You can watch stuff off of youtube etc. as long as it's not live. Oddly enough, if you are watching ANY LIVE TELEVISION on ANY MEDIUM (laptop/tv/phone/computer/anything) then you need a licence.

Just because you have a TV is not enough of a reason to demand you have a licence. If they take you to court they must prove you watch live television. You don't have to answer any of their questions and they are not allowed to enter your property without a court order. Even if they enter and there's a television in there it still isn't proof. Clearly, if you're not watching television you probably wouldn't have an aerial connected to it.

I stopped buying a licence years ago, everything I want to watch I watch the next day.

Although owning a tv which is tuned into stations (or owning a seperate freeview box) and having the cable about (if not actually connected) might well be considered proo that you have been watching live tv , whereas owning a simple tv with no obvious means of receiving live tv broadcasts should mean you are ok, however they are sneaky buggers, the most obvious solution is to always say no when they ask to come in.

Andy

@ tvlicensingblog, Thanks, I hold exactly the same viewpoint regarding persecution of non tv owners by Capita, actually sending the declaration makes one a bigger target, and people who have never owned a TV have bought a license to stop their harassment. They behave worse than bailiffs in some cases as evidenced by videos on you tube

I was getting a bit concerned by the inaccurate help given and was ready to post, but thankfully tvlicensingblog has already arrived to set the record straight.

I also concur with brassnecked, don't make yourself a bigger target, be the grey man. Crapita's salesmen only want to earn money, if they visit you once and realise there's no money to be made (i.e. you know the legal situation, don't let them in and say nothing), you'll not be bothered again, except for the monthly letter from TVL which goes straight in the bin.

I was getting a bit concerned by the inaccurate help given and was ready to post, but thankfully tvlicensingblog has already arrived to set the record straight.

Yup My bad, just proves you cant believe everything you read on certain websites. I learned a valuable lesson. But this is what this forum is all about at the end of the day, there is always some one there to put right for those who cock up. :)

Yup My bad, just proves you cant believe everything you read on certain websites. I learned a valuable lesson. But this is what this forum is all about at the end of the day, there is always some one there to put right for those who cock up. :)

This thread made my day. Had a capita sales person turn up. Asked who he was and he wanted to know who i was i refused and he threatned me with calling the police who would ask me the same thing but under caution. However i told him to stand further away from the door and he could go when he got bored. closed the door. he stood there for 30 odd mins and dissapeared. that was 4 years ago. Apart from threatogrammes nothing.

So whats cooking today ?

This thread made my day. Had a capita sales person turn up. Asked who he was and he wanted to know who i was i refused and he threatned me with calling the police who would ask me the same thing but under caution. However i told him to stand further away from the door and he could go when he got bored. closed the door. he stood there for 30 odd mins and dissapeared. that was 4 years ago. Apart from threatogrammes nothing.

That is typical TV Licensing behaviour. Had he called the police they would have laughed him off the line. The arrogance of these people, banging on a person's door and demanding their identity, never fails to astound me.

For the record TV Licensing issue a comprehensive document called the "Visiting Officer Procedures" which tells them exactly what they can and can't do, including:

- They must never threaten the occupier with the police or a search warrant.

- They must always identify them self when asked to do so.

- They must always leave the property when asked to do so.

They are also under instructions to terminate any call where the occupier presents a camera and starts filming them. For this reason we advise all of our legitimate licence-free readers to keep a camera by the door and use it during TV Licensing visits.

Campaigning against TV Licensing's harassment of legitimate non-viewers.

I just wish that you could opt out of receiving the BBC and watch other channels. I hate the Leftist BBC and their propaganda, which is why I refuse to pay them £150 pa. I prefer to watch other channels and either pay via advertising or subscription. I used to say that I'd be happy to pay for quality BBC drama, documentary and nature programmes, but now even in their nature programmes you have propaganda about global warming. They just can't help themselves, when will they learn that they're there to entertain, educate and amuse us, not indoctrinate us in a political lesson, and don't even get me started on Question Time.

With the digital switchover, the BBC could quite easily have gone encrypted and used a subscription service, but no, they knew 90% would opt out, so they deliberately kept it unencrypted.

I just wish that you could opt out of receiving the BBC and watch other channels. I hate the Leftist BBC and their propaganda, which is why I refuse to pay them £150 pa. I prefer to watch other channels and either pay via advertising or subscription. I used to say that I'd be happy to pay for quality BBC drama, documentary and nature programmes, but now even in their nature programmes you have propaganda about global warming. They just can't help themselves, when will they learn that they're there to entertain, educate and amuse us, not indoctrinate us in a political lesson, and don't even get me started on Question Time.

With the digital switchover, the BBC could quite easily have gone encrypted and used a subscription service, but no, they knew 90% would opt out, so they deliberately kept it unencrypted.

Personally i disagree, i'd consider myself left leaning but feel the BBc give an airing to all views, as to 90% would opt out, I very much doubt that, it does produce some excellent quality programes, especially in the factual/science catagory.

But I agree there should be another way of funding it, it just doesnt amke sense to hassle people who may or may not watch live tv (and with the advent of IP TV, things can only get more confusing, and also far harder to prosecute people).

Andy

Just for an update, I had an email response from tv licensing today saying theyve passed my complaint onto the manager of the official involved and will contact me when theyve conducted an investigation..

Pretty standard response meaning itll get ignored and swept under the carpet I imagine.

Not gonna happen with me. Theyve messed with the wrong person this time.

They think sending out their letters can be annoying? Theyre amateurs compared to the hornets nest theyve stirred up by trespassing in my home.................

Just for an update, I had an email response from tv licensing today saying theyve passed my complaint onto the manager of the official involved and will contact me when theyve conducted an investigation..

Pretty standard response meaning itll get ignored and swept under the carpet I imagine.

Not gonna happen with me. Theyve messed with the wrong person this time.

They think sending out their letters can be annoying? Theyre amateurs compared to the hornets nest theyve stirred up by trespassing in my home.................

Just be aware, that the next thing you have from this lot may be a summons, so I would have a reasoned defence ready, just in case. TV license cases like Council Tax Liability Orders are dealt with en-bloc, and normally are rubber stamped as no one turns up to defend themselves, having stitched themselves up like a kipper during the Interview Under Caution In Line With PACE by the Capita goon

Also search the net on TV License as there are help forums out there for people wrongly accused by TVL Capita

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Just be aware, that the next thing you have from this lot may be a summons, so I would have a reasoned defence ready, just in case. TV license cases like Council Tax Liability Orders are dealt with en-bloc, and normally are rubber stamped as no one turns up to defend themselves, having stitched themselves up like a kipper during the Interview Under Caution In Line With PACE by the Capita goon

Also search the net on TV License as there are help forums out there for people wrongly accused by TVL Capita

I agree with this 100%, many homeowners sign 'something; at the door unaware of the what they are doing and having basically admitted to a crime without even realisng it !

Best advice stilll..say nothing, dont invite them in, ask them to (politely) go away :)

Andy

• 6 months later...
you need to do this so you dont get the sort of idiot thugs that come round and demand entry to check.

You just have to fill in a declaration to state you dont watch it on any device.

You don't NEED/HAVE to do anything of the sort, and they won't believe you anyway.