• Tweets

• Well we can't predict what the judge will believe. PE will say that they responded in the deadline and you will say they don't. Nobody can tell what a random DJ will decide. However if you go for an OOC settlement you should still be able to get some money
    • What do you guys think the chances are for her?   She followed the law, they didnt, then they engage in deception, would the judge take kindly to being lied to by these clowns? If we have a case then we should proceed and not allow these blatant dishonest cheaters to succeed 
    • I have looked at the car park and it is quite clearly marked that it is  pay to park  and advising that there are cameras installed so kind of difficult to dispute that. On the other hand it doesn't appear to state at the entrance what the charge is for breaching their rules. However they do have a load of writing in the two notices under the entrance sign which it would help if you could photograph legible copies of them. Also legible photos of the signs inside the car park as well as legible photos of the payment signs. I say legible because the wording of their signs is very important as to whether they have formed a contract with motorists. For example the entrance sign itself doe not offer a contract because it states the T&Cs are inside the car park. But the the two signs below may change that situation which is why we would like to see them. I have looked at their Notice to Keeper which is pretty close to what it should say apart from one item. Under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 Section 9 [2]a] the PCN should specify the period of parking. It doesn't. It does show the ANPR times but that includes driving from the entrance to the parking spot and then from the parking place to the exit. I know that this is a small car park but the Act is quite clear that the parking period must be specified. That failure means that the keeper is no longer responsible for the charge, only the driver is now liable to pay. Should this ever go to Court , Judges do not accept that the driver and the keeper are the same person so ECP will have their work cut out deciding who was driving. As long as they do not know, it will be difficult for them to win in Court which is one reason why we advise not to appeal since the appeal can lead to them finding out at times that the driver  and the keeper were the same person. You will get loads of threats from ECP and their sixth rate debt collectors and solicitors. They will also keep quoting ever higher amounts owed. Do not worry, the maximum. they can charge is the amount on the sign. Anything over that is unlawful. You can safely ignore the drivel from the Drips but come back to us should you receive a Letter of Claim. That will be the Snotty letter time.
    • please stop using @username - sends unnecessary alerts to people. everyone that's posted on your thread inc you gets an automatic email alert when someone else posts.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Payment made in respect of FULL and FINAL settlement

Stopthethieves
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5662 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So, onto page 4, can we have a potted summary?

Part-payment as F&F not binding apparently?

Is there enough here to also demonstrate criminality?

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I might just interupt this academic discussion :) I think you will find that the situation is probably a lot more simple than has been stated.

If a lender accepts a lesser amount in full and final settlement that constitutes an amendment to the existing contract. It is fully binding on the lender and the debt is satisfied by the payment. It makes no difference if a DCA is involved. The DCA is just standing in the shoes of the original lender, having had the original contract (and the rights that go with it) transferred to them.

The credit file should show the debt as paid off. If it doesnt write to the credit file agency and provide proof of the payment of the debt and request that their file is amended.

If I might just interupt this academic discussion :) I think you will find that the situation is probably a lot more simple than has been stated.

If a lender accepts a lesser amount in full and final settlement that constitutes an amendment to the existing contract. It is fully binding on the lender and the debt is satisfied by the payment.

The credit file should show the debt as paid off. If it doesnt write to the credit file agency and provide proof of the payment of the debt and request that their file is amended.

FRom earlier discussions this does not necessarily appear to be biding unless certain coditions are met. Of which im no expert, i base my comments on those of zootscoot and others who i know have some relevant interest.

If you have something legal to offer it would be useful to know?

HTH

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

I have done a few FULL and FINAL settlements and have had my files updated so they now show 0 owing. I have all the paperwork for them. I consider them binding since they are getting a large amount in one go as opposed to years of very small amounts.

Anyway, not sure of the legalities but I doubt they will be reopened due to the fact I will want my money back plus HEAVY bank charges plus interest on the charges plus interest on the money they owe!!!!

Let sleeping dogs lie but then maybe it might be worth looking at........

Regards

STT

I dont know if you have read the full thread but there is a legal argument against a full and final argument being just that.

It may be that it cannot be reopened but its not as simple as it appears.

GLenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

MBNA - Settled in Full

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Hi Glenn,

The issue of part payment and consideration has been settled law since 1911, although I may not have fully detailed the position in my earlier post.

Previous posters have got themselves a bit bogged down in the "consideration" issue, although the leading case in this area has been mentioned, but not the right element of the decision. To clarify, it is a cardinal rule of contract law that consideration must pass from the promisee - it is not necessary for both parties to provide consideration.

The issue of consideration in circumstances of part payment to satisfy a debt always caused difficulties because as has been correctly mentioned there is in fact no new consideration passing from the debtor who is obliged under the contract to pay the money anyway.

The issue arose first in Pinnels Case in 1602 and it was held there that part payment could not provide consideration.

The matter then came back again in Finch v Sutton in 1804 where Lord Ellenborough felt that Pinnels Case still applied in strict terms. However this was before the proper development of the law relating to equity but nonetheless he displayed the instinct that it was not equitable to allow a creditor to agree full and final settlement for a lesser amount and then sue for the balance. He basically recognised that this was unfair. He actually suggested that the consideration issue could be settled (in this case there were more than one creditor who all agreed as part of a composition by the debtor with his creditors) as each creditor had agreed to forgo part of his debt on the basis that each other creditor had also similarly agreed. However this was unsustainable because there was no consideration passing from the debtor - Pinnels Case still applied and he had suggested a manner of circumventing that case but it did not stand up to scrutiny.

The leading case is Hirachand Punamchand v Temple and in fact this took the matter outside the usual rules of consideration entirely. Here it was decided that it would essentially be unfair for the creditor to agree to accept a lesser amount in full and final settlement and then sue for the balance - so what to do? It was decided therefore that cases such as these were in a class of their own outside of the usual rules relating to consideration in contracts. The rationale proposed was that it would be a fraud to accept the lesser amount and then to sue for the balance. And that has been the position ever since.

The view has also been proposed from time to time, and rightly in my opinion, that the issue of part payment really rests in the area of freedom of contract. It is a basic tennet of contract law that parties are able to agree what they will - parties have freedom of contract (except for certain limitations in respect of illegal contracts etc, and the more modern protections in consumer law, etc.). As a result the acceptance of part payment is much better explained as a mutually agreed variation to the existing contract. The parties are entirely within their rights to change the terms of their bargain as they wish and it must be correct that where part payment is accepted the parties have agreed to change the terms of the existing contract and the terms are therefore suitably amended and the agreement is binding - and, the debt is thereby settled by the payment.

Hope this helps.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

rbrears

Id say that is very interesting and useful.

I guess you have read through the whole lot and so will realise the issue of reclaiming charges has often been linked to former settlements.

It has in my case and has made me reticent about proceeding against egg particulalry.

I will take the time to have a read of the cases you outline if i can find them online, not that i dont believe you, i just like to try to understand whats what as it were.

just one question if i may. When i settled my debts, my creditors mostly sent me a letter saying F&F. But Abbey never did, however, when i wrote to them i set out that the offer was F&F.

The settltement was conditional to all of my creditors at the time accepting the part settlement.

Does it have any bearing that abbey never acknowledged the settlement as F&F do you know?

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

Not really - as long as the money was paid on that basis then the acceptance of it should be a sufficient acceptance of your terms. There are some arguments against this but I really wouldn't worry about it, particularly when dealing with a high street lender. If there is any doubt as these are consumer issues the presumption is usually that any confusion will be resolved in your favour as the consumer.

Best of luck :)

Thanks

I did include a phrase something like, cashng this cheque signifies your accetpance of the sum as full and final settlement.

Cheers

Glenn

PS Im sure ill find out what the situation is with Abbey, i issued my n1 today.

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

The leading case is Hirachand Punamchand v Temple and in fact this took the matter outside the usual rules of consideration entirely. Here it was decided that it would essentially be unfair for the creditor to agree to accept a lesser amount in full and final settlement and then sue for the balance - so what to do? It was decided therefore that cases such as these were in a class of their own outside of the usual rules relating to consideration in contracts. The rationale proposed was that it would be a fraud to accept the lesser amount and then to sue for the balance. And that has been the position ever since.

With respect, I would say this is perhaps a bit of an exageration, hardly a leading case and certainly did not take the matter outside the rules of consideration. It merely provided a limited exception that where a part payment was paid by a third party this would count as sufficient to satisfy the whole debt.

If the law was changed in 1911 how do you account for the decision in D&C Builders v Rees?

Zoot

does this mean were back to square one then?

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

does this mean were back to square one then?

Glenn if you had a composite agreement with all creditors (including Abbey) then yours should be binding also.

There may well also exist something in the Banking Codes or like about F & F settlements as you don't often hear about the banks reopening debts.

Hope this helps

Zoot

I just realised I was posting on a thread I started.......

A couple of threads were merged and we all lost track of what was going on for a bit I think.

do you mean I am within my rights to seek the return of my charges?

If they have levied unlawful charges to your account it may well be that you in fact paid those charges. Banks generally make their charges a priority debt. ie your payments will go to discharge their fees before repaying any of the actual debt. If you still have the T & Cs have a look. If so the chances are what you have paid in full and final settlement or any monthly payment will have been their charges. The amount they let you off is likely to be the actual amount borrowed. They were not forced in to accepting the settlement and its likely that if the charges were not levied you may have been in a position to pay off the outstanding debt or would have offered a lower amount in F & F settlement.

Hope this makes sense!

Zoot

Its worth doing a SAR to find out what the charges were. They may try to argue that they will not refund the charges because the debt was settled and as such you did not actually pay them. But if they do make their charges a priority debt you've got some pretty strong ammunition to throw back.

All the best whatever you decide.

Zoot

Oh dear I thought this would happen while I was writing my second post :)

Zoot, isn’t D&C Builders v Rees is an estoppel case? The reason that the part payment was not accepted was because of the behaviour of the wife who made the offer to settle with part payment. She said accept £300 ...or you get nothing....and because her conduct was less than equitable she was unable to rely on an estoppel to defend the claim for the balance of the money.

Being a lecturer in contract law (lets trade credentials :) ) you will know that caution should be exercised in quoting cases involving Denning LJ!! and of course estoppel doesn’t quite do it for settlement by lesser payments because the debtor suffers no detriment at all. In the world of legal practice no-one ever mentions him any more. I can’t remember the last time any of his cases actually came up in any of the everyday matters (like those on these forums) that I have dealt with.

The “leading” case on the fraud point as a means to avoid the insufficiency of consideration is Hirachand as I stated. The effect of the exception, as you describe it, is indeed to take those cases outside the usual rules of sufficiency of consideration. These cases are a separate head related to compositions with creditors and I have relied on them successfully many times. I only mention it because it might help others and as far as I know it has not been overruled.

You have defined the case as one where the ratio is about payments by third parties constituting sufficient consideration. That's true but the case also decided that it would be a fraud on the party who tendered the part payment to thereafter sue for the balance. That is the way the court resolved it. It matters not that the payment is made by a third party or the original debtor – it is the unfairness that was addressed by the decision that a fraud would occur. That is a general principle that to my knowledge still applies to full and final settlements by payments of less than the contractual amount.

And also with respect to you too Zoot your previous posts have stated that part payment is not legally binding unless it is effected by deed; that if a debt is in default the original contract doesn’t apply; and that a DCA or even the original lender could chase a debtor after accepting full and final settlement for a lesser sum and I just worry that as far as I can see these comments are not correct.

Academic or technical debate on these forums is probably a bit pointless and we should probably resist the temptation :) otherwise we’ll just be quoting Treitel at each other! – most people won’t want to read it. Certainly not trying to be argumentative because your posts are always helpful and informative :)

I have done a few FULL and FINAL settlements and have had my files updated so they now show 0 owing. I have all the paperwork for them. I consider them binding since they are getting a large amount in one go as opposed to years of very small amounts.

This is entirely proper and creates a binding contract which the bank cannot go back on and demand the balance. The alteration of the payment terms constitutes sufficient valuable consideration.

P.

Northern Rock; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered. Recieved details of 6 yrs charges on 8th. Wrote back asking whether or not they hold information going back further than that.

MBNA; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered 14/8/06

Barclays; S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) request sent 11/8/06 - Del 14/8/06

Diners Club; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered 14/8/06. Recieved form to fill and return with fee on 17/8/06. Sent form back, delivered 4/9/06.

Intelligent Finance; Prelim letter emailed 16/08/06, claiming £318. Email recieved from "Anne-Marie" 17/8/06 saying my email has been passed to Customer Relations dept. Fob-off letter received 23/8/06, letter sent in return same day - Delivered 24/8/6 Recieved letter offer 25% settelement - refused - LBA sent. MCOL on 10th revcieved notification that they intend to defend on 13th. 06/9/2006 WON!!!!!!

Congratulations Phantom that is good news!

Rbrears

D& C builders was indeed an estoppel case, however, estoppel was denied and therefore the outcome was that the common law set out in Pinnel's case and Foakes v Beer was applied and this was after the year you claim that the common law no longer applies. The fact that it was decided by Lord Denning MR is neither here nor there. He invented the promissory estoppel doctrine not the common law (even he wasn't around in 1602!) true many of his judgments are ignored or no longer considered good law as he stretched the rules quite considerably. But D&C Builders was not one of them.

As far as I can see I have advised people that there is a small risk that their debts could be reopened, which I believe is correct. In my view its important that people are aware of this risk, no matter how small, rather than stating categorically that their debts will never be re-opened.

Zoot

most companies look for 80% of balance as a full+final and shows a amount o.s but also shows the company are not chasing for remainder, if its less than that its shows account settled with a p flag indicating amount o.s but a agreement was made between both parties and again remainder not been chased for hope this helps