Tax credits

beckyboo28
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4611 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just got back off holiday and I was dreading opening the mail but there was no letter from the tax credits. My payment went in Monday as normal.

I sent my letter to them last Tuesday so I am hoping that once the compliance team sort my overpaid childcare my award will be generated. I am just HOPING that it doesn't leave me skint :(

Thats good news Nic. What are you going to do about childcare? xxx

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well my situation has just got even more bizarre and I don't know what to think :???:

As you know I was being "reviewed" with regards to childcare and I sent in full disclosure about 2 wks ago (estimated I owed approx £8000) and I presumed that this "review" was the reason my renewal hadn't been processed because I sent it in at beginning of July and then the childcare letter turned up 5/6 weeks after. Well...........checked my bank as normal this morning and an extra payment has been paid (more than I normally get per week by approx £10) so I called them and was advised that my award had been finalised and it had generated an extra payment and that my weekly figure has increased per week.

Now my question / worry is; what has happened with regards to the overpayment I have received?!?!?!?!? If my figures have gone up then it's obvious they are not taking any money back. Does this mean that they are going to recover it in a different way (prosecution etc?!?!?!?!?!?!).

Hi Zara, yes holiday was lovely - thank you for asking!

I am not worrying anymore now, I have been honest with them so I am sure at some point I will hear something. My husband called and notified them that I had started work 2 days ago and that has already been processed (i called them today) and we are now going to be getting the WTC element of it.

Have you tried to call them?

Well my situation has just got even more bizarre.

Received a letter from HMRC this morning (dated 25/08/11) from the compliance team. It is very, very brief and just says:-

" RE: Your tax credits for 2010-2011. I have made a decision that I do not accept your childcare costs. I have adjusted your claim as a result. You will soon receive an award notice detailing your tax credits for 2010/2011. If you have an advisor acting on your behalf please show them this letter."

Firstly I am very pleased as this letter obviously signifies that they are not taking the matter any further but it has confused me even more!!!!!

My husband called them on Tuesday to notify them that I had started work and to give them my work details. Yesterday I called them as we received an extra payment in our account and was advised that it was due to my renewal being completed and that my weekly amount was approx £8 per week more than before.

My question is - the renewal has obviously been completed after the "review" so how on earth am I ending up with more money?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I know I did pay an overpayment back earlier on this year (between Jan-April) but I am sure that was only around £1000.

I was honest on my renewal and I was brutally honest in my letter to the compliance team that I had falsely claimed childcare between April-Nov 2010.

Does anyone have any thoughts?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

hiya girls just come back to check on you all

back of beyond omg! wtf that letter sounds very strange what are they trying to say they dont believe your honesty? :jaw: maybe things have just got mixed up and letters crossed are you sure they recieved your letter you sent back to them? cos it doesnt sound like they have? maybe ring them and see if they got the letter? xx

Oh claire, it's doing my bleedin head in I tell ya lol!

God knows!!!! I took the letter as just being a standard one and basically saying that they don't agree with my claim (I.e original claim) which is what I agreed with in my letter. But then my renewal has been sorted after this "review" letter and the helpline has said my new award is on its way so I asked about payments and they've increased?!?!

Suppose I'll now wait for the award in post!!!!!

Hiya everyone, I too am having problems with getting my 2011-2012 awards notice.

Renewed on 14th June (with no changes), and rang the helpline 2 weeks ago as I still hadn't received my award notice (they estimated 8 weeks). Previously it has come through within about a month. Anyway a nice man told me that my renewal had gone through with no problems and a new award notice had been sent mid July. Obviously concerned as it must have been mislaid in the post, so he said he would send me another copy. He did tell me the amount I am entitled to and when my next payment would be (which is the same as previous payments). 2 weeks later I receive a copy of my 2010-2011 award notice - took me a while to spot this! Anyway, I ring the helpline and say thank you for my award notice, however, I need the new notice for 2011-2012. The man I spoke to couldn't understand what my problem was. After explaining another two times, he said that my renewal had not been processed yet so that's why I had a copy of the last one. I told him the man I spoke to a couple of weeks ago had assured me it had gone through and gave me the date of my next payment, plus the amount. He said that I shouldn't have been told that?!! I asked him what the delay was and he just said it was still being processed and when it was I would receive a new award notice. He also asked if there was any particular reason I needed the paperwork, and I said no but I should still have it to check surely!! Is anyone else still having delays like this??!!:sad:

Hiya, I have still had payments on my normal dates for the same amount. I renewed over the telephone, gave my P60 details, etc. The guy two weeks ago told me when I would get my next payment, which is the date I would expect, and it is for the same amount. My wages fluctuate as I am in sales, and wondered if I had earned more than I anticipated so was quite prepared for them to tell me they have made an overpayment, but he said the figure was for the same. Really not sure what is going on, I don't mind if they need to check everything, it would just be good to be told this is what they are doing. The guy yesterday said it hadn't even been processed yet, but basically his attitude was 'don't call again, once it's done you will get a new award notice'. It has never taken this long before though. Thanks for replying; it's kind of comforting to know that other people are having the hassle with them as well!!

It sounds to me like your renewal hasn't been processed if your payments haven't even slightly wavered or you haven't received the extra payment (normally you receive an extra payment when the system processes your renewal). As for why it is taking so long, only HMRC will know.

I sent my renewal in by post on 05 July and have only just really had my award amended and renewed but I have still not received any paperwork.

Do you claim childcare on your award? Just trying to think of any reason why it could be taking longer other than that they have put new processes in place. Or did you have any changes last tax year?

I think my delay was due to the childcare "review" that has just taken place but my renewal has made me very cautious until I receive my actual award as I estimated an overpayment of approx £8000 (i didn't notify them until Nov 10 that shouldn't have got childcare in that tax year) and my payments have increased slightly. All very strange as my renewal was processed just after the review was completed so I would have thought the two were tied?!?!?!? As i said I still don't feel 100% confident until I actually have my award notice in my hand.

Hiya, well I do claim for childcare, which changed last september, and I informed them 3 weeks after, so that was sorted and amended. I received an amended award notice in October - this is the copy they have sent to me, which I understood was the new award notice. It's really difficult as you can't tell them about any changes until or after they actually happen. My daughter has started school which I told them was going to happen, but they weren't interested until a week after she starts. I really don't want to get into an overpayment issue and always try and be organised with any finances. It's good news that your renewal has been processed though, at least you're further along than I am!!

I just can't believe that we're in September and they haven't even started to process it when I did my renewal on the phone on 14th June. Plus I had one guy there telling me everything was fine and it had been sorted, then another one telling me they hadn't even started it yet. I will have to phone them soon to tell them about the childcare changes, but to be honest am dreading even talking to them as it's could get even more complicated. Really wish I didn't have to claim the tax credits at all, I've never claimed benefits for anything, and I feel lucky to get any help at all, but if they decide I'm not entitled to any help now I won't be able to afford after school care or holiday care. I hope you get your paperwork through soon and at least you know it's all done and dusted for another year!

Well not sure mine is done and dusted for the year now :???: received my final tax credit award through the post today for 2010/2011. It says on there i received £7000 childcare between April & November (which I have obviously declared is incorrect with my review) and it states NOTHING about a large overpayment, it says I was overpayed £1900 and they will collect that back at a later date? I mean how does that work?!?!?!?!?! My review letter which confirmed she had amended details was dated 25/08/11 so it really, really doesn't make sense!!!

I am not sure if they have changed the process this year because it gives no details of this years award. It says "for this years payments refer to your 2011/2012 award notice" - this I am yet to receive so not sure if that's on its way to me? I know that I will be receiving two of those though as I notified them of some changes last week so suppose they may shed some light (i won't hold my breath!).

Don't really know what else to do! It's pointless phoning them as they say everything is fine. I suppose I have done everything correctly and have proof of letters I have sent etc so will just have to wait (AGAIN!).

With you saying you were paying childcare I am wondering whether it is just claims which have childcare that they are double checking?!?!?!

I know it's easy to say but try not to worry x

Hi all, had no laptop for a while !! wow back of beyond you must be going crazy with all thats happening with your claim !!!! i rang them yesterday and just asked them to remove childcare from my claim ( only from now tho !!!!) i was too scared to be totally honest so i am going to see what happens now !!! i am not worrying about it all now have decieded whats done is done, its 50-50 on whos fault it was but i have been left totally out of pocket by about 150-200 quid a month so i havent gained anything from any of this mess !!!!!! roll on next year when its all straight forward ! ( i hope !)

well i will prob still panic as havent given correct date but i feel happy knowing that I can claim my housing benefit back now and fingers crossed by christmas i will be financially back to normal !!!! i say financially as doubt i would ever be normal !! lol :) my sister started work last week and her tax credits sorted within 3 days so hoping them taking childcare off will be just as quick !!!!

Same for me, I started work - rang them on the wednesday and by the friday they'd already issued an extra payment which I got yesterday.

Hey that's a thought! You'll get an extra payment as whenever you amend anything the system generates another payment!!!

Same here with regards to the normal lol - its kids that send us crazy!!!!

xxx

yeah and its the kids that cause all this hassle too !!!! if it werent for them we wouldnt need the tax credits !!!!mmmm they have alot to answer for !!!Lol

keep us updated re what happens with your overpayment, i be interested to know the outcome just in case this all comes back to bite me on the a*** !!!!!

Of course I'll keep you updated. This site's been a great support for me whilst I've been going through this!! Although I have to say I am never, ever, ever going not notify them of a change as soon as it's happened!! I mean tbh I've worried about this for 15 month and it feels quite liberating to know it is finally going to be sorted!!

Take care x

yeah know what you mean !! its a little weight of my mind, but i think until i have a clear year i will be stress free !!! i stil got the joy of renewing next year and the fear of them asking again !!! haha 2013 roll on

take care too !

Hiya Backofbeyond,

To be honest if they are telling you everything is fine and that's the figures they're working off, then I really think it will be ok for you now. It's obviously annoying with no firm paperwork and I think they are out to confuse everyone this year!! Reading through this thread, there are so many people worried about tax credits; I wish I had never claimed in first place; just kept being told I was entitled to help with childcare, so I thought 'why not'!! Must admit I wouldn't have managed without it, but the worry of it all is overwhelming sometimes, even though logically what's the point in worrying about it, I still do. I get very confused with figures (maths isn't my strong point!), and I have never fully understood the awards, but I can't help but worry that suddenly I'm going to get a letter telling me that I'm not going to get anymore help or something...maybe just being a paranoid pete, and like you say, it could be the whole childcare element they are looking into.

Oh well another day of dreading the postman arriving!!

Really pleased yours seems to be pretty much sorted though, that's good news xx

Hi I am new too I have had problems too I waited for hours on the phone was told twice it was all sorted out yet my money has been stopped I called again saturday and was informed I would recieve payment by today .. I decided to call again yesterday and was told I wouldnt recive any payment till monday we had no food etc so I had to get a crisis loan plus I spent a fortune on calls I want to know if anyone knows how to make claim for compensation from them as they have cost me loads I dont have anything at all now and to be honest I doubt they will pay when they say they already said they made mistake yet still they dont fix things .. Plus the member of staff who spoke to me was rude how can anyone be so cold hearted especially when its their error not mine..

Hi Ozzy...what was the reason they stopped your tax credits? Did they say that you hadn't renewed? If so how did you renew? Phone or post?

They can tell you from their payments page (the payment schedule) what payments are due and when they will be paid so not quite sure why they said yesterday and now it will be monday?

Personally I would call again today. Try and stay calm with the advisor (i know it is hard) and ask them to look at your payment schedule. If you are given the run around ask to speak to a supervisor / team leader.