Working Tax Credit

thanks
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4666 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

To anyone who may be able to help

I am self employed and on low earnings. So low that I am claiming housing benefit as well as Working Tax Credits. I was wondering if is it statutory law to inform your local authority of your working tax credit to your local authority or whether they already know when you submit your tax return information to them?

Duty to notify changes of circumstances

—(1) Subject to paragraphs (3) and (5), if at any time between the making of a claim and a decision

being made on it, or during the award of housing benefit, there is a change of circumstances which the

claimant, or any person by whom or on whose behalf sums payable by way of housing benefit are

receivable, might reasonably be expected to know might affect the claimant’s right to, the amount of or the

receipt of housing benefit, that person shall be under a duty to notify that change of circumstances by giving

notice in writing to the designated office.

Regulation 88(1) places a duty upon a HB claimant/recipient to notify the LA of any change that might affect their HB. The claim form and award letters will normally detail the type of changes to be notified. For example, changes in income/capital/rent/household composition. Changes in Tax Credits are notifiable by the HB claimant/recipient.

LAs will sometimes carry out data matching exercises with HMRC, but this does not replace the individual's duty.

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

To anyone who may be able to help

I am self employed and on low earnings. So low that I am claiming housing benefit as well as Working Tax Credits. I was wondering if is it statutory law to inform your local authority of your working tax credit to your local authority or whether they already know when you submit your tax return information to them?

Always notify of such things even sometimes if not sure have to, to protect yourself.

You cannot rely on one dept to tell the other or eg housing benefit/ctax to tell tax credits and visa versa.

They do do data matching and if claiming more than should due to well oversite they will say ignorance is no defence.

Hopefully all you claim is correct, but to make sure you could ring housing and ctax benefits to make sure your tax credits are accounted for xx :)

You might find all is correct xx

Thank you for your help.

In addition to this I would like to know or get advice/ links on what is the breadline / poverty line income amount to receive full WTC and Housing Benefits?

For housing benefit, it would depend on your situation. The basic rule is the amount for job seekers depending on situation plus £5-£20, again it depends on your situation. The cut off for maximum WTC is £6420 per year.