driving GF's car - i was not insured - help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4501 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi sorry about this post but, could someone please point me in the right direction with regards to Driving my GF's car whilst not insured.(she was ill and unfit to drive) I was stopped and she was told that she committed an offence by allowing me to drive uninsured, BUT, the police did NOT arrest her on the spot and not caution her and let her go on her way. I was arrested. NOT her! Need advice but can't find the right threads. Please help!

Hi sorry about this post but, could someone please point me in the right direction with regards to Driving my GF's car whilst not insured.(she was ill and unfit to drive) I was stopped and she was told that she committed an offence by allowing me to drive uninsured, BUT, the police did NOT arrest her on the spot and not caution her and let her go on her way. I was arrested. NOT her! Need advice but can't find the right threads. Please help!

Bhuna, this seems to have gone un-noticed. I'm not sure if it should be here or on another motoring forum, because I don't know them all that well. I'll ask the mods to have a look.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

i've created a new thread in this forum

dx

siteteam

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

what has happened is correct

you are the one that needs insurance

the only thing they could do to your gf is the 'giving permission bit'

which they dont bother with as such

else its 'twoc'. and you dont want that

dfx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

OK both you and your girlfriend have committed offences.You drove a motor vehicle without insurance.She allowed it to happen.The decision about how to deal with an offender is to a certain extent left to the officer dealing with it, yours was the most serious offence and you were quite rightly arrested, however the officer may have decided that it was more appropriate just to have a word with your GF and point out that she had committed an offence and leave it at that, given what you say about her being unwell/unfit to drive the officer may well have taken that into consideration.I'm not sure what you wanted from your first post, it almost reads like you are complaining that your GF wasn't arrested Mossycat

Bhuna76, do you have your own insurance policy (i.e for another vehicle) that you are the main driver on? If so, you may have the DOC (driving other cars) clause on the policy which allows you to drive any car with the owner's permission.

If not, I'm afraid you may well be charged with driving without insurance and have to answer the case in court. The likely outcome is a fine and 6 points on your license (IN10). The fact that your partner was unwell and asked you to driver the car for her might help to mitigate the sentence a bit but I think it's unlikely that you would get let off for that reason.

Edited by Cardiff Devil

If not, I'm afraid you may well be charged with driving without insurance and have to answer the case in court. The likely outcome is a fine and at least a year's driving ban.

You are unlikely to receive a ban for an insurance offence. It is normally 6 points on your licence and a fine. Only if these 6 points take you upto the "totting up" value of 12 would you be banned (unless of course you are still covered by the new drivers act in which case at 6 points your licence will be revoked.)

• 6 months later...

I was not complaining that she hadn't been arrested but I am curious about one other thing. About 7 months ago, I went to pick my GF up from work and was driving the car WITHOUT her consent. There are other offences besides the TWOC which I admitted to. In my interview for the other offences, I admitted the TWOC and was re-arrested and cautioned again 'mid interview'. I was formally charged with the other offences(no insurance/no L plates) but was released without the TWOC charges being brought against me. Question is.... Can they re-arrest me for the TWOC given the fact that they had a confession and failed to do so at the time? Thanks.

I suspect the police "take a view" on the total package of offences and prosecute you for the the easiest to prove and/or the one that carries the highest penalty. They don't always (contrary to what we the pubic think of them sometimes) make every attempt to "throw the book at you". :)