Elderly couple with overwhelming debts, is bankruptcy advised?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4691 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Debtinfo Thank you for the horse's-mouth clarification.. That's pretty much what I had thought, hence my small surprise. I assume I am right anyway that there's inter-Department/Agency information access, so there's little hope of hiding your big lottery win, or the bank account with the thousands you were left in Uncle Ernie's will, or the windfall tax rebate the day before you petition just sitting on Revenue's screens.

Thank you for the other clarifications and the offer to raise other questions - I am sure there will still be some.

Toddle2u Things are a lot less muddy thanks to the pointers being given, so thank you for all of yours and your patience.

Do I assume - as I saw somewhere when first searching, that the OR becomes a monthly visit to keep an on-going check on your affairs in case the natural progress allows some movement one way or another? I also seem to recall other comments however to the effect that you almost never have any further contact as they get on with administering your afairs.

Looking a long way ahead, is there any forewarning when the Bankruptcy is ended, a call or a letter advising that it has been decided that from X date etc, or is it a case that at some point it just happens and the first you know is when you open the letter notifying you ?

Matt No problem Matt, and no apology needed ... I just wasn't entirely clear what was being said, so asked the question. I'm sure anyone sensible wouldn't want to take such a chance!

It is good to know there's potentially some common-sense flexibility in the minds of the OR. If I need a basic bank-account for afterward, it would be good it the one I already have and hardly ever use could be allowed to stay in place.

Thanks for the continuing support, hopefully I'll stop having a stream of questions and concerns before long!

im not sure with regards to a monthly visit by the OR but i have never heard of it before

In my case, i saw them once i left court then i had the OR ring and talk to them for 20 mins, after that conversation she said i would more than likely never hear from them, the only contact i have had is forms that need signing, but these come via the post.

I have had to ring them, this was to clarify a few things as i was unsure and they were great to talk to.

With regards to it coming to an end, its automatic after 12 mnths unless you have been slapped with a BRO. You get these if you have been found to have caused this yourself or have seriously lied on the petition or to the OR. I.E. selling a car for less than its worth, giving money to family whom you owe debt and gving them special treatment over other creditors.

You can ask about early discharges etc, what you dont ask you dont get, so it may be worthwhile. This is exactly what i have done and have had some positive news back from them. It seems it depends on the complexity of each case on its merits. No assets and all unsecured debt are fairly straight forward, they are more interested in the million pound case's, here is where they make money to pay for there fees and time.

Hopefully Debtinfo will explain more and change what i have said if it wrong. He is the "expert" after all.