• Tweets

• Please can you avoid posting solid blocks of text. It is difficult for people to read especially when they are using a small screen such as a telephone. Well spaced and punctuated please. I hear what you say about the evidence – but do you have copies of it? And if so can we see it please. That's the point. We want to know what you have. As long as you have the evidence in your possession then you have some kind of control
    • Hi, the vehicle went to Audi Chingford on Thursday 13th May. I did state beforehand that I only wanted a diagnostic. The technician out of courtesy opened the drain letting huge deposits of water escape the seals. Video evidence was provided via AUDI cam. The link for the audi cam has been forwarded to BMW and Motonovo. I spoke to branch manager explained the situation and he stated he would sent me an email outlining the issue. Audi state this is not really an issue and more of a design flaw. However, the seals still have water ingress. I purchased the vehicle with £0 deposit on a 60 months HP plan for £520.00. The vehicle total was £21000. I did not go for any extended warranty. I live almost 70 miles away from the aftersales centre in Peterborough. I have previously uploaded the document I forwarded to BMW however it was in word format. I have had to buy a new tyre almost three days after purchasing vehicle. BMW still have not compensated me for the v62 cost as they said they would. 
    • I would suggest that you stop trying to rely on legal theory – as you understand it. Firstly, because we are dealing with practical/pragmatic situations and at a low value level where these arguments tend not to work. Secondly, because you clearly have misunderstood the assessment of quantum where there are breaches of obligations. The formula that you have cited above is the method of loss calculation in torts. In contract it is entirely different. The law of obligations generally attempts to remedy the breach. This means that in tort, damages seek to put you into the position you would have been in had the breach not occurred. In other words it returns you to your starting position – point zero. Contract damages attend put you into the position that you would have been had the breach not occurred but this is not your starting position, contract damages assume that the agreement in dispute had actually been carried out. This puts you into your final position. You sold an item for £XXX. Your expectation was that you your item would be correctly delivered and that you would be the beneficiary of £XXX. Your expectation loss is the amount that you sold the item for and that is all you are entitled to recover. If you want, you can try to sue for the larger sum – and we will help you. But if they ask for evidence of the value of the item as it was sold then I can almost guarantee that either you will be obliged to settle for the lesser sum – or else a judge will give you judgement but for the lesser sum. This will put you to the position that you would have been had there been no breach of contract. I understand from you now that when you dispatch the item you declared the retail cost to you and not your expected benefit of £XXX. To claim for the retail value in the circumstances would offend the rules relating to betterment. If you want to do it then we will help you – but don't be surprised if you take a tumble.  
    • I was caught speeding 3 times in the same week, on the same road. All times were 8-12mph higher than the limit. I was offered the course for the first offense and I now need to accept the other 2 offenses. I just want to be ready for what might come. Will I get the £100 fine and 3 points for each of them or do I face something more severe?  These are my only offenses in 8 years of driving.
    • I'll get my letter drafted this evening. Its an item I sold, which I'm also concerned about, as whilst I don't have my original purchase receipt (the best I have is my credit card statement showing a purchase from Car Audio Centre), I do unfortunately have the eBay listing where I sold it for much less. But as I said before this is now a question of compensation: true compensation would seek to put me back into the position I was in before the loss ie: that title would remain with me until my buyer has accepted this, and so compensation should be that which would be needed to replace the lost item. But in the world of instant electronic payment, it could be argued that as I had already been paid, the title to the goods had already transferred, and I was required to refund the buyer after the loss. And so, despite my declared value being the retail price - that which is needed to return me to my pre-sales position, the compensatory value should be the value I sold it for, which being a second-hand item from a private seller is lower. I still believe that I should be claiming for the item's full value, rather than how much I sold it for, as this is the same for insurance: we don't insure the value we paid, but rather the value of the item to put us back into the position we would be in if we ever needed to claim. Its for the loss adjuster to argue the toss
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Ingeus

Raven1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2508 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Maybe more are sent to Ingeus so that they can be sanctioned and thus lose their benefits and each one reduces the benefits that way?

Not a maybe.....I would say it's a given.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The way I read the DWP Provider guide was:-

The initial interview to see a WPP can be mandatory for all groups.

This interview is to discuss participation on the WP

It is in this interview a voluntary group can accept a place on the WP if they so wish.

But for both groups both mandatory and those voluntary agreeing to participate the next interview is the start of your actual WP attendance and therefore is now mandatory.

Do you get what I mean your initial interview that is mandatory does not mandate you onto the work program if you are voluntary. It's only if you agree to attend the WP here that your status changes and that applies to the next interview which starts your mandatory participation in the WP.

p.s. Sanctioning when on the WP

THe DWP guidance and notes state that the WPP has to notify them of all and anything no matter how small with zero discretion being exercised by the WPP in this process. THis is because it is the DWP who decide sanctions not the WPP and a failure by them to notify risks them not being able to sanction in a timely manner! You could get a job and sign off before you are financially punished etc. It actually says this :lol:

Seems that you have been caught in a time trap! If you weren't already mandated onto the WP then you couldn't be mandated. However since you were mandated they will argue that you can't escape!

And DWP are not supposed to sanction, but can I trust them not to sanction automatically and then have to argue to rescind their automatic erroneous decision? Arghhhh.....

Hi folks,

I had my first appointment with Ingeus this week. It resembled more a car crash than anything constructive.

Immediately I was asked for sensitive personal data in an environment that was not private. "Do you have a criminal record?". I refused to give them any personal information other than what the job centre had forwarded (my name and address). My 'adviser' then told me I "was obliged by law" to give him both my telephone number and my email address. I asked him to spell it out several times that against my will he was saying he had the powers to make me surrender my personal details and he asserted himself firmly that this was the case. "Ingeus have been mandated with the authority the same as the job center. You have to give me your email address" he stated. He then threatened me with a sanction if I didnt hand over email address!! So within 10 minutes of my first appointment i'm treatened with a sanction (which would leave me the same as a lot of people have said before in this thread... homeless and destitute) for exercising my right under UK law to protect my data.

Satisfied that he wasn't going to acquire my email address from me he demanded my mobile phone number. Which, summarily I refused to part with too. He told me again that the law dictated that I surrender (against my will in this case) my mobile telephone number to him. I told him again of my belief that he had no authority to make such demands and I requested to see the written evidence that this private company I'd never heard of before had exemptions from all UK laws regarding personal data. I wanted to read about a law that empowered this man to have more power over me than a police officer does in the street. He was delighted at this prospect and skipped off to a cupboard.

"These are the documents about you having to give us information" he said nonchalantly launching the 5 sheets of paper across the desk. I could see his head sink when it became evident after a few moments that I was reading them. Not what I was expecting and he can't of read properly the 'consent to share information' and 'information disclosure' he just handed me. The information disclosure' document basicly said they abided by the data protection act and so humbly requested my data. The penultimate statement of that form states "Please be aware that not signing this form will not affect your benefits or your access to this programme". Speaks for itself... The Data Protection Act applies to them too. They do not, as my advisor stated, have any sort of exemption or powers to enable them to punish you for exercising your right to withhold from them your personal details and 'sensitive data'.

Then the 'consent to share information' form is a joke and I urge no one to sign it. By signing that form you allow Ingues to call your 'future employer' whenever they want to inquire about such things as "The number of hours you work", "the amount of your earnings each week", "the dates of your employment". Which is something I do not want to share with them. Luckily as they are requesting something to which they are not by law entitled to without my permission, again, the form has an advice at the end. It reads:

"entitlement to these benefits will not depend on whether I choose to give consent or not.

My placement on any programme with Ingeus UK Limited and 'Delivery Partners' (the ambiguously unspecified 'Delivery Partners')

I can withdraw my consent at any time by writing....."

I use the material he handed me as reference and I point the small matter of the law standing in the way of his attempted illegal theft of my personal data.

He points out that I haven't read the bit that says I must surrender my telephone number! That's on the 'Ingeus Expectations' document. He points his finger into the page and I start reading.

"As it is a condition of your receipt of JSA that you are available for work, you must have your mobile phone switched on and with you at all times during office hours".

"You see?" he inquired. Simple rebuff to such idiocy "my phone will be on.... its just that you wont be able to ring it"

It was then pointed out to me that 99.9% of people were happy to give that information away. He tried to force the issue again. I can quote him as saying that my actions might be judged to be sabotaging my job search and, again, this may cause my JSA to be terminated. so, in a nut shell, trying to bully me into handing over my data against my will.

I then told him in no uncertain terms that he was not getting my personal data off me and that we were just going around in circles. He turned to his computer and stated that the job centre would be informed of my refusal to complete the forms and surrender data. He told me to speak with the job centre about my concerns and then i was to return a week later and repeat the process (and I can assure everyone that it very much will be a case of repeating that process).

To conclude. It struck me very similar to a high pressure sales pitch by a lying, manipulating cheating salesman who would not take no for an answer. I feel very much that been told that Ingeus has a 'government mandate' giving this man the authority to say he is except from the law is sickening. We know why they want specifically my contact details and my personal data it is so they can ensure their own financial gain.

and this is the bottom line of it all for me regarding his conduct:

If he knew Ingeus did not have the exemptions he stated they did when he said he did then he is in breach of TWO sections of the 2006 Fraud Act

Fraud by false representation

(1) A person is in breach of this section if he—

(a) dishonestly makes a false representation, and

(b) intends, by making the representation—

(i) to make a gain for himself or another, or

(ii) to cause loss to another or to expose another to a risk of loss.

(2) A representation is false if—

(a) it is untrue or misleading, and

(b) the person making it knows that it is, or might be, untrue or misleading

Fraud by abuse of position

(1) A person is in breach of this section if he—

(a) occupies a position in which he is expected to safeguard, or not to act

against, the financial interests of another person,

(b) dishonestly abuses that position, and

© intends, by means of the abuse of that position—

(i) to make a gain for himself or another, or

(ii) to cause loss to another or to expose another to a risk of loss.

(2) A person may be regarded as having abused his position even though his

conduct consisted of an omission rather than an act.

I think by anyone's standard if you threaten someone with effectively making them homeless and possibly starve unless you submit to an illegal demand is an abuse of position and there is no doubt it was a series of 'false representations'.

This is a company dealing with lots of vulnerable people and it makes me angry to think others who do not know their rights are are been deceived and bullied into handing over personal data that they do not have to. Fraud does not have to be just about stealing money... and the theft does not have to have taken place it is still fraud even if the [problem] fails.... therefore this is fraud!

Thank you for listening.... Next episode Monday! :/

I went to Ingeus as part of a group one day and we were given a log in name and password for their site. The guy in charge said that we should log in then change our passwords but I can't find any way of doing so. I also read ingeus site which claims they don't know if you look at the site yet when I attended an appointment last week the interviwer seemed to know I hadn't looked at the site for a few weeks!They lied to me they are spying on people.l

I went to Ingeus as part of a group one day and we were given a log in name and password for their site. The guy in charge said that we should log in then change our passwords but I can't find any way of doing so. I also read ingeus site which claims they don't know if you look at the site yet when I attended an appointment last week the interviwer seemed to know I hadn't looked at the site for a few weeks!They lied to me they are spying on people.l

The pleb more than likely looked at the date and time stamp on your record which indicated when you would have signed on to your account - or they simply threw an accusation into a discussion.

hi can any one give me any advice on these ingeus mob !! i have to see them again after 3 months in full employment,,,what are my rights with them!!! ive been with them since october 2011 ,,

If you are in full employment you can afford to ignore them! What can they do - threaten to sanction you when you're not on JSA any more! I do hope you haven't told them where you're working or given them permission to contact your employer.

If you are in full employment you can afford to ignore them! What can they do - threaten to sanction you when you're not on JSA any more! I do hope you haven't told them where you're working or given them permission to contact your employer.

It's probably the reason why they want him to come in.

Hi this is my first post here (even though I've been reading for months) I attend the Nottingham office and my advisor put me up for an interview with bombardier trains (despite me telling her it would be hard for me to commute every day 4 buses there 4 buses back, shift starts at 7am first bus doesn't leave my area till 6am derby is hour away from me) Anyway it's the prescreen interview on Thursday at the derby office. Just wondered if any of you have experienced this before with the company as I have no idea what to expect and neither does my advisor to be fair.

I am not sure where you get this idea - if you have a source please quote it. Otherwise I would work on the assumption that you can be mandated to do just about anything "reasonable" to improve your job chances. I think any Decision Maker would consider interview practice "reasonable".

Feb 1st,updated ,Guidance to work program providers .The DWP has instructed all work program providers to obtain written consent from participants ,to ensure they (providers ) comply with with the DATA PROTECTION ACT. ref:consent.me.uk .

I was just preparing to go to my fortnightly 1 hour job search at Ingeus.

I just re-read the letter with my 9 appointments listed on it. I have been

to the first three appointments, but just realised that nowhere on the letter

does it state that these appointments are Mandatory and failing to attend could

affect my benefits.

I presume in this case, if I do not go to any on these appointments from now

on they can't do anything that would affect my JSA, apart from sending me

a new letter stating that the appointments are Mandatory.

I'd appreciate anyone's opinion about this.

affect my benefits.

At first glance I see 2 things wrong:

1.. As you say there is no mention of the consequences of non attendance. and

2. The MAN (if that's what it's supposed to be) has more than one activity (in fact 9!). I think that there is only supposed to be one activity per MAN.

Both could be used successfully as arguments in contesting a sanction doubt,

At first glance I see 2 things wrong:

1.. As you say there is no mention of the consequences of non attendance. and

2. The MAN (if that's what it's supposed to be) has more than one activity (in fact 9!). I think that there is only supposed to be one activity per MAN.

Both could be used successfully as arguments in contesting a sanction doubt,

Bakatcha, thank you for the reply. I think I am OK not to attend, I guess I will find out if there are any

consequences after today, as I will not be attending.

I do have another letter from them requiring me to attend an Effective Job Search Workshop in 2 weeks and that does state that it's a Mandatory appointment. I have a further question regarding this appointment, but will post it later today.

Many thanks for your reply, I appreciate it very much.

Tez

Hi, new to the Forums but ive been following this thread ever since i was mandated to the WP last august. I attend the center in Chesterfield.

I have to say that while i disagree with the entire Program, the advisor i have been given is pretty nice. I have to attend each 2 weeks, because of my distance (I Live in Ripley which is a 45 min bus + walking times), and each appointment is generally just a catch-up on how my jobsearch has been going and if she has any new information on courses etc to offer me. So far i havent been *forced* to do much but, im getting an advisor change next month, and by everyone elses reports of their advisors im getting slightly worried i might get a very nasty one.

My question is:

Has anyone yet been brave enough to threaten Ingues? what i mean is, if they tell you that you MUST attend a workshop or something, what would happen if you say: If you force me to attend this workshop i will withdraw the right for you to use/share my data, and i will keep it hidden from you when i finally find a job.

I see 2 ways this could turn out: They could either agree with what i say and not force me into anything further, under fear that they wont receive their commision or whatever it is that they get.

Or: they could call my bluff and say that if i dont attend they will just sanction me, even if i then remove permissions and dont tell them when i find a job, i will still be sanctioned and in trouble financially.

If i were to say this to them, is there anything they can actually do? Could they sanction me for making the threat? And if not, and they make concessions to me, could i get in trouble with the JCP?

My question is:

Has anyone yet been brave enough to threaten Ingues? what i mean is, if they tell you that you MUST attend a workshop or something, what would happen if you say: If you force me to attend this workshop i will withdraw the right for you to use/share my data, and i will keep it hidden from you when i finally find a job.

I see 2 ways this could turn out: They could either agree with what i say and not force me into anything further, under fear that they wont receive their commision or whatever it is that they get.

Or: they could call my bluff and say that if i dont attend they will just sanction me, even if i then remove permissions and dont tell them when i find a job, i will still be sanctioned and in trouble financially.

If i were to say this to them, is there anything they can actually do? Could they sanction me for making the threat? And if not, and they make concessions to me, could i get in trouble with the JCP?

Yeah, I have :wink: - Not Ingeus but another WP provider.(i2i)

I've told them I think the whole thing is a farce and they're best to just leave me alone to carry on my usual job search. I've said that at the first threat of a sanction there won't be a hope in hell I'll let them know where I'm working should I get a job (said all this in a group session too, not a 1 to 1) and said I won't be telling DWP either.

There doesn't appear to have been consequences to doing this; In fact I don't think they've taken any notice t.b.h. They keep spurting the same old BS at me.

You know, it's quite difficult being awkward with them sometimes because so far all the advisors I've had (different one each time) have been really nice...lol

I've also threatened them with withdrawing my consent under data protection etc, but I've not done it yet. I'm saving that moment :lol:

Yeah, I have :wink: - Not Ingeus but another WP provider.(i2i)

I've told them I think the whole thing is a farce and they're best to just leave me alone to carry on my usual job search. I've said that at the first threat of a sanction there won't be a hope in hell I'll let them know where I'm working should I get a job (said all this in a group session too, not a 1 to 1) and said I won't be telling DWP either.

There doesn't appear to have been consequences to doing this; In fact I don't think they've taken any notice t.b.h. They keep spurting the same old BS at me.

You know, it's quite difficult being awkward with them sometimes because so far all the advisors I've had (different one each time) have been really nice...lol

I've also threatened them with withdrawing my consent under data protection etc, but I've not done it yet. I'm saving that moment :lol:

Thanks for the reply :)

So you theatened them but you still attended, or you stopped attending ?

Thanks for the reply :)

So you theatened them but you still attended, or you stopped attending ?

I would not advise refusing to attend anything a person is mandated to attend by a WP provider. By all means threaten withdrawal of DPA consent, or indeed actually do so. But if you're required to do something, I'd strongly suggest you do it and complain later if necessary.

This, of course, assumes that you've received the appropriate MAN.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

affect my benefits.

Seem's I may have screwed up. I didn't attend today's appointment

(my decision entirely).

Had an email from a forum member saying I do have to attend,

so I'm concerned they may in fact raise a Sanction Doubt.

Would appreciate anymore input anyone can offer.

Many Thanks

Tez

Seem's I may have screwed up. I didn't attend today's appointment

(my decision entirely).

Had an email from a forum member saying I do have to attend,

so I'm concerned they may in fact raise a Sanction Doubt.

Would appreciate anymore input anyone can offer.

Many Thanks

Tez

I think you're correct in your earlier post when you said 'nowhere on the letter

affect my benefits.'

According to WP provider gudiance ( http://www.dwp.gov.uk/supplying-dwp/what-we-buy/welfare-to-work-services/provider-guidance/work-programme-provider.shtml ) (mandation-chapter3a) - the 'Required wording' is

“If you do not undertake the activities required in this notification your benefit could be affected”

If that's not there - no sanction.

When i first got offered to do a workshop i agreed because i wanted to show that i am motivated, but when i returned she tried to say i didn't attend when i did, then she said she wants to put me on more, she actually wanted to put me on a, anger management, anxiety, confidence, depression work shop which was just laughable, my adviser was a bully, but now i am being referred onto another adviser because she got laid off.

When i first got offered to do a workshop i agreed because i wanted to show that i am motivated, but when i returned she tried to say i didn't attend when i did, then she said she wants to put me on more, she actually wanted to put me on a, anger management, anxiety, confidence, depression work shop which was just laughable, my adviser was a bully, but now i am being referred onto another adviser because she got laid off.

Female ingeus / jobcentre advisers are always the most cruel / bitchy, the authority goes straight to their heads, I've noticed