Motorway Direct warranty.

tom a
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3281 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Had a cold call today from a company called Motorway Direct offering me a warranty through their Car Protect scheme for the Sorento.

Bearing in mind the old girl has done 121,000 miles and coming up to 8 years old I told the young lady I was interested.

She gave me the usual sales spiel and the price given was £19.46 per month and it seemed to cover most things.

This was for a 24 month warranty with no mileage restriction and multiple claims up to the value of the car. It covers parts and labour.

I have to pay the first £75 and car has to be repaired in their designated workshop.

It can be cancelled at any time without notice.

I've gone for it but I have a 14 day cooling off period when I've read the small print.

Has anyone ever had any dealings with this company?

the price given was £19.46 per month and it seemed to cover most things.

This was for a 24 month warranty with no mileage restriction and multiple claims up to the value of the car. It covers parts and labour.

I have to pay the first £75 and car has to be repaired in their designated workshop.

CANCEL it straight away.

The clue is in the "multiple claims up to the value of the car". It's not a warranty either but an insurance policy in reality. Given the age and mileage you will use this "warranty" up on your first claim and be seriously out of pocket then and thereafter, probably tied in to paying £19.64 a month for something you can't claim on.

Better off putting money away for breakdowns/failures each month, at least you will get a measley amount of interest.

These sort of policy's and sales tactics should be banned. They are not worth the paper they are written on, cause grief and heatache and are allowed to be sold as an all singing and dancing guarantee to put your mind at ease.

The reality is very, very different to what's on offer.

• 1 month later...
Had a cold call today from a company called Motorway Direct offering me a warranty through their Car Protect scheme for the Sorento.

Bearing in mind the old girl has done 121,000 miles and coming up to 8 years old I told the young lady I was interested.

She gave me the usual sales spiel and the price given was £19.46 per month and it seemed to cover most things.

It can be cancelled at any time without notice.

I've gone for it but I have a 14 day cooling off period when I've read the small print.

Has anyone ever had any dealings with this company?

My Friend avoid like the plague!!!

I have a 55 plate Saab 93 it is fully serviced and has covered 109k motorway miles. I am in the final year of my three yr warranty with Motorway direct trading as AA warranty.

My car has suffered a sudden loss of power on pull away, and suddenly started making a knocking noise when the clutch was depressed. I contacted the claims line and they advised me that I should take the car to my local Halfords Autocentre as they are a partner company and are conversant with the procedures etc and it would make the process much easier.

I did so and the garage immediately suspected the Dual mass flywheel was the cause of the problem. They contacted motorway direct who asked them to remove the gear box to inspect the parts on the proviso that they would not pay for the removal if there was nothing wrong with the parts. I had no choice but to agree as like everyone I need my car and they had already had it two days. They removed the gear box on Day four and contacted motorway direct and told them that the DMF bearing had excessive play in it. This is a part that has no wear surfaces designed to wear out in service it should last well after the clutch has been replaced. Motorway direct say it is wear and tear and they will not cover it. Now I am left with a £1000 repair bill to replace my failed DMF and clutch, which although not worn out has done 109k, and it is therefore economically sound to replace also.

Although my policy with motorway direct has no excess or mileage limit, they are saying it is normal wear and tear and is not covered. They say it would have to suddenly fail or break to be covered. Have you ever heard of a bearing suddenly breaking, they only wear out. They sometimes break up because they are excessively worn out but they do not fail. Even though the flywheel is specifically mentioned in my policy as being covered it appears it is not and although there is no mileage limit, they can effectively impose one by claiming any fault is wear and tear. In the claim line advisors words the DMF has reached the end of its normal life. I would love to know how he knows what is the normal or even design life of the DMF.

In summary Motorway direct are operating in a devious and in my opinion dishonest way. At no time did they inform me that the parts covered in my policy ceased to be covered when a higher mileage is reached. in fact the salesman sold it to me on the basis that there was no mileage limit and explained that the wear and tear clause was in place to cover items designed to wear in service like brakes and exhausts.

I will never buy another warranty from these people again. I am contacting trading standards as we speak.

Gutted

The best advice I received was this:

Find out the cost of the warranty.

Put the equivalent amount of cash in a bank account/under the mattress

If you have a problem, withdraw the cash and fix it

If not, have a party!

Looking at the motorway website, they keep referring to a policy document which is not available on the website. Also, most items that fail after 3+ years are worn out or corroded or affected by water ingress. Occasionally, a particular make and model can suffer from a sudden "fatigue" type failure but that is fairly rare these days.

• 2 months later...

This company trade in a number of different names "Motorway Direct" "Car Protect" and trade from Sheffield, amazingly they even do one under the AA logo. Whilst their list of covered parts seem quite comprehensive, they always try their "wear and tear" get out. I am outraged by them, this is all nothing more than a legalised way of taking money from people on a complete mis-apprehension, they cold call prospects, promising what appears to be useful insurance, which is why the take up rate is so good. When it come to a claim, they will typically (as they did with me) ask you to dismantle (at your cost) the vehicle far more than is reasonably necessary, thereby adding to your cost and grief in the hope that they can blame worn parts on the situation, which is ofcourse, inevitable. I am currently persueing via the financial ombudsman, and I will continue to shout from the roof tops about their shady practises. I have put a blog together about my case at motorway-direct dot com

Edited by Tim James-Parker
Spelling & [problem]

• 2 years later...

yes i have and am still dealing with then via AA cover witch i had purchased at the point of sale of my 2010 smart car from car giant, all i am going to say to you at this point is stay very far away from this company as you are being miss sold your police and you will find that when you need to make a clime they will find a reason to tell you you are not covered and you will end up having to folk out on all your repairs, i am currently using the ombudsman to deal with a complaint and having them exposed for this complete con of a product.

dito!!...i am going through the same situation via the AA logo, and have a case with ombudsman and am going to take it the the highest level possible until there are exposed and i'm am completely compensated for my inconvenience and distress.

• 7 months later...

I bought AA Warranty (at the time unaware it was Motorway Direct PLC)

We had a issue with the car it kept cutting out while driving. We called RAC recovery they checked the engine codes and found no errors. The RAC told us to drive it home and the RAC followed us home, to see when it would cut the engine so he can rescan for the codes. It cut out twice and still nothing on the error codes.

Called AA Warranty once we were home, they asked us to take the car to Halfords Garage. We took the car there, they had it for a day and we got a call saying "we took the car for a test drive, there was a bang and we need to inspect further".

AA Warranty sent a 3rd party engineer to inspect the problem, the car was soo damaged that it was undrivable. The engine was too damaged, pistons hit, valves bent, many teethes from the cam belt shredded.

AA Warranty said they will not cover the claim because we drove the car to destruction.

Halfords Garage claim they did not test drive it.

I asked them if it is the the condition you say it is, how was i able to drive it to Halfords Garage.

They said the point of distraction must have been exactly the moment i parked the car at Halford Garage.... And Halfords told AA they did not test drive it, the car wouldn't start from the parked spot.

They will not cover the claim because I should have recovered the car to Halfords Garage not driven it.

On the phone when first making the claim, they did not tell me that, They only said take the car to Halfords Garage.

Halfords said to take our car back, and we will have to pay for the labor they used to strip down the engine, as AA warranty refuses to pay. And if we want them to put it back together we would have to pay extra labor charges for that too.

That was the first time I bought warranty and it will be the last time.

They were very reassuring on the phone when they are trying to sell the warranty, but when it comes to making a claim, they will point out all the small print, and try their best to get out of honoring the agreement.

I have canceled all my business with AA and will not trust them again.

They are selling their trusted brand to companies like Motorway Direct PLC who are abusing it by abusing the trust people have in the AA brand.

The AA know exactly what the warranty contains and by adding their name to it, they are condoning everything that is wrong with it but laughing at Joe public for buying it.

Edited by Conniff

I had 2 policies with "car protect" owned by motorway direct, I am pursuing them through the FSA for refusing to pay out on my policy, they are an absolute sham of a company, they lie and use the "wear and tear" card to get out of paying, their policies are not worth the paper they are written on, avoid these companies like the plague. I rang for advice when a warning message appeared about my gearbox then cleared, they said "keep driving the car and if the fault returns let us know", it did I put in my claim and their response was it was my fault for driving the car with a fault!!! which is what they told me to do, utter waste of space, There customer service is a disgrace, if you do one thing this year avoid this company, hopefully they will go out of business soon before they swindle anyone else.

• 6 months later...

Had a cold call today from a company called Motorway Direct offering me a warranty through their Car Protect scheme for my Ford Mondeo. I was asked if she could run through a few details and give me a quote; I agreed and then the young lady asked if i would like to sign up straight away for £23.50 per month. I replied by asking for it in written form..sorry no can do..Okay please send me an email, which she agreed too. Would it be okay to ring you back tomorrow after you read our warranty; I replied that if I was interested I would ring back to sign up. Just gone 09.00 the next day, she was back on the phone - I informed her that we agreed that I would call back, rather than herself. After doing a search on Yahoo I came across this excellent website; signed up and read the reviews. I am not going to read the attachment i.e. warranty details now after reading the comments made by some of the members. Thanks to all the people who commented on its value. I will share my future experiences of a good or bad experience when they occur.

Had a cold call today from a company called Motorway Direct offering me a warranty through their Car Protect scheme for my Ford Mondeo. I was asked if she could run through a few details and give me a quote; I agreed and then the young lady asked if i would like to sign up straight away for £23.50 per month. I replied by asking for it in written form..sorry no can do..Okay please send me an email, which she agreed too. Would it be okay to ring you back tomorrow after you read our warranty; I replied that if I was interested I would ring back to sign up. Just gone 09.00 the next day, she was back on the phone - I informed her that we agreed that I would call back, rather than herself. After doing a search on Yahoo I came across this excellent website; signed up and read the reviews. I am not going to read the attachment i.e. warranty details now after reading the comments made by some of the members. Thanks to all the people who commented on its value. I will share my future experiences of a good or bad experience when they occur.

It would be nice, if you have their full terms and conditions of what they do and don't cover, it would be very helpful if you could scan them and put them up here, will you do that Jancal ?