Being chased to a debt of £160 from 2002 from Interim justitia

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4756 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I am currently living with my parents.. due to circumstances. Just recently I have had a call from Interim injustita with regard to a debt they say I owe from 2002 for a mobile phone company for £160.92 I naturally do not remember this, it is over 9 years ago.. But they are continually calling to chase me for this debt. I do not use my parents phone.. so its not registared with me, I do not wish them to keep calling. How can I get these people to stop. I do not want to pay something I do not think I owe, I am unemployed and money is tight. How do I deal with these people, considering I do not want to be harassed. They have written with to say they want money but nothing to prove I owe this. On the letter is reference no. creditor (company initials, which I do not understand as its not the company they say I owe to) and the amount £160.92. Advice please, know these kind of people are hard to deal with.

Hi chees

Welcome to CAG

The guys will advise as soon as they are available.

If you haven't made a payment in the last six years then, the debt is statuted barred in law, as long as they don't have a CCJ.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/ihtmanual/ihtm28384.htm You can send them a Statuted Barred letter, but be clear as to when the last payment

was made.

This letter is for the uk:- http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?408-Letter-sent-when-debt-is-statute-barred

First thing to do would be to send a 'prove it' letter to whoever is telephoning/writing.

You could also include an 'harrassment letter'

But, can you remember this debt, and when was the last time you made any kind of payment on it, is it showing on your credit reports with Experian/Equifax, it may well prove to be Statute Barred and that would need a different letter.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...ng-of-the-debt

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...esponse-letter

Thank you for the replies so far..much appreciated...

My first contact with these people was a phone call. I said I do not know of this debt, as it is from 2002! 9 years ago!

The man on the phone said it was a mobile phone company. He said he would give me time to check my records.. I was baffled, by this claim of a debt.. I do not have records going back to 2002 as I left UK to live abroad in 2005 and return in 2010.

Next came a letter, as I said in my post above... It really has no information with it apart from their reference, the company I supposedly owe this money to (which is not written out but has just initials for the company) and the amount.

Then last week they have started calling every day. My parents having been saying I am not at home at the time of call, but obviously this cannot go on. I need to deal with these people, but I want to say the right thing. I do not wish them to keep calling my parents landline. I do not use their phone, I have my own mobile but naturally I have not given that number to these people. I think they must have got the number from phonebook.. but this is not my phone.

I have not done a credit check since I returned, as I'm not working and not looking to take out any credit. But I will check tonight.

If this debt is Statute Barred, which by the sounds of things it is, once you have notified them of that fact they should cease all collection activities. If they do continue they will be in breach of OFT guidelines and could also brought to account for harassment contrary to CPUTR2008.