ESA descriptor in plan english

karen68
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4758 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all.

I'm in the process of putting together a case for the tribunal. My son's case was turned down over a year ago now and we've had this hanging over us since then.

Looking back over the so called 'medical' my son put on a brave face and answered the questions asked.

0 points award once we received the desission. It was only then that we realised how the answers he had given had been used to assume so much more.

This time we are going to be prepared. I have downloaded honeybee's draft letter, son's off to theripist for a letter and we have a letter of diagnosis from his phychaitrist.

Tomorow we sit down and rip apart the descriptors, not such an easy task as the wording is very confussing. Can anyone help with a plain english translation? especially 16. Initiating and sustaining personal action??????

Any help or suggestions would be much appriciated.

Thanx Karen

[quote=karen68;3399074

Tomorow we sit down and rip apart the descriptors, not such an easy task as the wording is very confussing. Can anyone help with a plain english translation? especially 16. Initiating and sustaining personal action??????

Any help or suggestions would be much appriciated.

Thanx Karen

Hi Karen, this descriptor is about ability to do a task, start a task or keep doing a task with or without prompting from someone else and how much prompting is required.

So for an example, getting dressed. Does the person get dressed at all without someone prompting - do they even plan to get dressed if no one encourages them. Do they just need some encouragement to get dressed, or do they need frequent prompting throughout the task, or continual prompting, or do they basically need someone to dress them.

I believe its about tasks of daily living like washing, dressing, eating, cooking etc, not about whether the person can plan and carry out something complex. You also would need to explain what cognitive or mood disorder causes difficulties in this area - for instance learning difficulties, depression, even adhd.

Hope that helps. Others may have more to add, I had to be quick F1 just about to start.

Lee - using your example of getting dressed, is it just take nightwear off and put clothes on? or would it be picking out suitable clothing too? (clean, matching, suitable for the weather, etc)

Planning is also included in that, so yes, but only if the inability or need of prompting or help is due to cognitive or mood issues - not due to physical issues.

Thank you for explaining this for me. In my sons case he is seriously depressed and suffers with severe anxiety. He requires constant 'nagging' from me to do simple tasks such as dressing, as left to his own devises he coulnd't be 'bothered'. As he is very socially withdrawn and does not go out, it would normal for him to go days without be bothered to get dressed as there is no point.

We have spent the afternoon going through the medical asssesment and try to counter argue the atos views. Not so simple when the assesment was over a year ago. some of the observations seem to be made by asumption as we can not remember being asked specific questions regarding the desciptor.

Do we need to discredit their view or is it sufficient to give a reason and example why we thing his conditon does apply to the descriptor?

Once we have typed up his letter I will post it on here and would be greatful for anyone to give their views on it.

Thanks again for you input