Tax Credits advice please

harner
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4786 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi..I wonder if anyone can give me some advice.

I am a single gay male who has been claiming Working Tax Credits since 2009.Currently and throughout the period,I am in shared accommodation.When my claim was first awarded,I was living in a shared house with 5 others.This had to close down and as I could not afford my own place it was suggested that I could maybe flat share with someone and share bills.Several of us looked into it and I decided to move into the cheapest form of accommodation available,a 1 bedroom place(2 beds are way out of my budget) that could be used as two bedsits.ie the living area now becomes a bedroom.Many people I know are doing this as it is cheaper than a larger house share which also asks for a share of bills.

I informed the TC office that I had moved(which I have always done)and all was fine until last week I received a letter from the Tax Compliance Office asking for details of my Self-Employment.I sent these off and got a letter back stating they were satisfied with the documents etc which were returned.Now I have recieved another letter saying that I will need to phone them to discuss 'Household,work and income details'.As I have already given the work and income details this must refer to 'household'.

As far as I am concerned my circumstances have not changed.I still have my own room,am single and in a flat-share as opposed to a house share.The other occupier is a woman(who was also in the house share) so my concern is that they may suggest we are a 'couple' of some sort even though we have completely seperate lives having only the share of bills/rent in common.

I read somewhere that you should not speak to these people before seeking legal advice.Before I do-even though I dont feel I have anything to hide,has anyone any advice?I may be worrying for nothing but Im concerned.

Any other benfit dept & I would say be on your guard with them, but I think with Tax credits it'll be ok. Cant hurt to see what they have to say, then maybe speak to CAB. But they probably just want to double check that you shouldn't be claiming as a couple with the female in the flat share.

It's getting crazy for that these days isn't it.

Compliance checks are usually just a way of checking that all information held is correct to try to stop any overpayments or underpayments that may be applicable to your claim. You have nothing to hide so I can't see a problem with getting in contact with them to confirm what information they require.

These checks are only a review and nothing to worry about, most people tend to panic if they think they have done something wrong (forgotten t declare a change in circumstances), I had one of these checks a few years ago and it was only to confirm that they had correct income and childcare information.

Hi

Due to failed login attempts I have been forced to re-register:|Therefore I am in fact 'harner' of the original post...!

Thanks for the replies,my concern is basically how the term'household' will be defined.Having been in previous shared houses Im wondering how I would answer questions relating to other residents income any more than I can provide details of income for the person I am currently flat-sharing with,assuming this is what is meant by 'household'??If the term refers to who else occupies the flat,my fear is of an assumption I am a 'partner' with my flat-mate-which I am obviously not and have no connection to her aside from sharing costs and religious beliefs.I certainly wouldnt welcome any inference my sexuality was something other than what it is.