minor bump - other driver wants us to pay for repairs

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4691 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Update - we've been given a quote for £300-plus, including a replacement lamp, which we definitely never broke!!

We've said to go through insurance and given her our details.

We will report the matter to our insurers for their info.

So what is likely to happen? Presumably, our insurance co will resist the claim on our advice - there's no way of anyone knowing for sure what happened, although we probably added some scrapes to the paintwork. Anyone know what will happen next?

Your insurers wont resist claim as you have admitted liability, the only question is the amount, so you would loose your NCB ( unless protected ) and your next premium will go throgh the roof.

You need to make sure your insurers do not deal with this.

Let them put it through their insurance if they want, then deal direct with them or just say take me to court and let them decide whats fair.

Suggest you respond the claim for the £300 formally rejecting the amount and put a counter offer.

The courts will like that, if it comes to it. The photos will help also.

We have admitted liability inasmuch as we admitted scraping the car. But surely if she now submits a claim, it has to be scruitinised somehow to see what's being paid for? Could she claim say £2,000 repairs to this, that and the other, just because we admit scraping the car?

Agree 100% with Ray. I suggest that you offer them £50 or tell them to take you to court. They will be hard pressed in convincing a judge that the damage amounts to anywhere near £300 when you produce the pics in court.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

• 1 month later...

The saga continues...

She does have our insurance details from a while ago. She has now quoted £175 for the damage to be resprayed.

Obviously, we don't want to pay that much for a cosmetic repair to a damaged car.

What can she do? As she has our insurance company details, does that mean she can just go through them and we get clobbered for the NCB etc? Or is there a process by which we say no, our insurers are not dealing with - even though she knows their details?

No, we never did tell them. We thought this was going to be forgotten about by the other car owner.

So, if we indemnify them, that basically means we instruct them not to act, and refer the claim back to us to deal with privately?

I take it that this would not affect our insurance premiums?

Sorry - I know very little about all this!