• Tweets

• more detest the insurrectional ex variety dx
    • Laura, I was surprised that the Director said that you hadn't appealed twice. I thought that the letter you posted on 24th June was the second appeal and that was to the IAS. And they did say that there was no further appeal possible. Could you please explain how many times you appealed. I am going to read your WS now.
    • In answer to your questions yes even though it wasn't called that, it was the NTK. Had it been a windscreen ticket you would not have received the NTK until 28 days had elapsed. In earlier times if the warden was present then a windscreen ticket would have been issued. It nows seems that the DVLA and the Courts don't see a problem  with not issuing a ticket when a warden is on site. A period of parking must mean that ther e has to be a start time and a finish time in order for it to be considered a period. A single time does not constitute a period. I am not sure what you mean by saying it could be taken either way.  All they have mentioned is  the incident time which is insufficient. There are times on the photos about one minute apart which do not qualify as the parking period because they are not on the PCN itself. The reason I asked if the were any more photos is that you should be allowed 5 minutes Consideration period for you to read the signs and decide whether you want to accept them and you do that by staying longer than 5 minutes. if  more  do not have photos of your staying there for more than 5 minutes they are stuffed. You cannot say that you left within the 5 minute period if you didn't , but you can ask them, should it get to Court , to provide strict proof that you stayed longer than the statutory time. If they can't do that, case over.
    • I recently bought some trainers from Sports Direct and was unhappy with them and their extortionate delivery and return postage charges. I tweeted about being unhappy, and received a reply from someone claiming to be from Sports Direct asking me to send my order number and email address by pm, so a claim could be raised. Which I (stupidly) did. The account used Sports Direct's name and branding, and a blue tick.  The following day I received a call from "Sports Direct Customer Service", and with a Kenyan number. They asked for details of the issue, and then sent me an email with a request to install an app called Remitly. They provided me with a password to access the app then I saw that it had been setup for me to transfer £100, and I was asked to enter my credit card number so they could "refund" me. I told them I was uncomfortable with this (to say the least), and was just told to ring them back when I did feel comfortable doing it. Ain't never gonna happen.  I just checked my X account, and the account that sent the message asking for my details is gone. I feel like a complete idiot falling for what was a clear scam. But at least I realised before any real damage was done. if you make a complaint about a company on social media, and you get a reply from someone claiming to be from that company and asking for personal details, tread very carefully.   
    • The good news is that their PCN does not comply with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012  Schedule 4.. First under Section 9 (2)The notice must— (a)specify the vehicle, the relevant land on which it was parked and the period of parking to which the notice relates; (b)inform the keeper that the driver is required to pay parking charges in respect of the specified period of parking and that the parking charges have not been paid in full; The PCN does not specify the parking period. AS you rightly say the ANPR times do not include driving to the parking space and then from there back to the exit. And once you include getting children in and out of cars especially if seat belts are involved the time spent parked can be a fair bit less than the ANPR times but still probably nowhere near the time you spent. But that doesn't matter -it's the fact that they failed to comply. Also they failed to ask the keeper to pay the charge.  Their failure means that they cannot now transfer the charge from the diver to the keeper . Only the driver is now liable. As long as UKPA do not know who was driving it will be difficult for them to win in Court as the Courts do not accept that the driver and the keeper are the same person. Particularly as anyone can drive any car if they have the correct insurance. It might be able to get more reasons to contest the PCN if you could get some photos of the signs. both at the entrance and inside the car park. the photos need to be legible and if there are signs that say different things from others that would also be a help.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Setting up own DMP

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4662 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

If I were you I'd re-word the second half of the letter as when I read it, it came across as a bit threatening. Maybe something along the lines of:

I would be grateful if you could confirm your acceptance of my offer within 20 working days of this letter.However, should you feel unable for any reason not to accept it, I will still continue to make a goodwill payment of £5.00 on the 28th of each month, or the first working day thereafter.

I would also ask if you would please ensure that all future communicattion be in writing for the avoidance of doubt. This serves to protect both of us from the possibility of any misunderstanding. The last thing I would want is any breakdown in our hitherto good relationship.

I look forward to receiving a positive response from you.

Yours...........

In terms of harassment, you've clearly asked them to communicate only in writing, so if they do phone, initially just say, "Sorry I can't talk to you, but I have requested everything be put in writing. Goodbye."

If it then becomes a problem we'll send a slightly nastier letter, but I don't think the time for doing this is when you're trying to get them to accept a reduced payment.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Tingy point taken that does read a bit aggressive. I like your paragraph I'll use that thank you.

Time to write some letters ....

Cheers

Ian

Thanks

Ian

With Help fom everyone here!

So Far:

M&S Agreed temp arrangement £10 PM until jan 12

Nationwide Agreed to DMP Offer

FirstDirect closed account and agreed a repayment plan.

Tesco: Agreed to DMP Offer

Outstanding:

Halifax passed to Moorcroft but continuing to pay Halifax £5PCM

Satander: being awkward asking for excessive iinfo, now closed account

I have to disagree slightly with the letter being too aggressive (sorry Tingy!). Personally I have sent a letter in the past similar to your original except for communication in email. Get everything in writing that way if anything ever goes to court just take their letter and save your stationary costs:) my last batch of letters basically said that I would continue to pay them 1£ until they accepted and froze interest and charges as their was no point wasting money if it wasn't going to go towards the debt. Also I couldn't be bothered with letter tennis so basically it says your not prepared to f*** around.

Go with what Tingy says to begin with and see what happens it will do no harm and I suppose you don't want to pi** them off too early! And I wouldn't put 60£ as a haircut cost, put 30£ and distribute the other 30£ through the rest of your I&E ;)

Daft Question time:

Just had a thought all the debts are in my name, should i be including my wifes income in the IE? She obviously has enjoyed the benefits of the cards etc.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks

Ian

So Far:

Outstanding:

No it should be calc'd pro rata. If you can give me a couple hours until I get the weans in their bed I will PM a spreadsheet to you if you have no objections. The cards are in your name unfortunately so you are responsible. Well legally. I will post the formula I used but unfortunately if I post the spreadsheet I may get into trouble. :(

cheers scotty Look forward to it later, see to the kids first. don't get your self in bother :lol:

just to clarify one loan is in both our names the rest are just in mine although she was a card holder on one. As far as it goes she perfectly happy to fully contribute, as mrs T says we're in it together she spent it as well as me.

thanks once again

Ian

Thanks

Ian

So Far:

Outstanding:

For as long as she is happy to contribute, then fine, but you only need to include your pro-rata contribution into your I&E. It's always complicated when you include single and joint loans etc, but if you want to clear your loans quickly, then you can combine your income. I'm one for getting debts cleared as soon as possible and not for trying to find away out of them - well maybe as a last resort ( I have got out of a few debts, only as I had no other option and the creditors were complete ar*eholes!).

If you can easily afford to include your partners income to get the debts cleared (i.e you have enough disposable income) then go for it, but if you want to maximise your disposable income, then only consider your pro-rata obligation. Sorry if I am not explaining this properly. If you need any clarification, then let me know. The spreadsheet I PM'd you should help you out - if not, you know where I am. :) I have a few things to sort out next week so may take me a day to get back to you - got to sort out a formal solution for my partners debt and maybe mine with the house on the line, but if you are unsure of anything, just post it on here.

Scotty

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all a little update. I sent all my letters off with tingys advice in a more considered rather that agressive style, and the results are starting to come in.

I've managed to agree a short term arrangement with M&S for a fiver a month for the next 3 months with a review after that time they've been surprisingly reasonable. Sandander have been back in touch they are still asking for a bank statement, a pay slip and a list of creditors with confirmation of outstanding balances, before they'll consider a temporary arrangement! i've sent an IE in naturally. whats the approach now more agressive is there any rules i can quote to tell em to stick it.

Thanks

Ian

Thanks

Ian

So Far:

Outstanding:

more post today a slight victory nationwide have agreed to freeze interest and charges and accept my offer dissapoinitingly though say the first payment must reach them by the 4th june (today)! Might have to break the rules and give em a call. idiots ...

Just spoke to nationwide helpful as ever collections are shut but the CS rep has added a note to the system to say i called and there is a mistake in the letter.

Ian

Edited by tioaboa

Thanks

Ian

So Far:

Outstanding:

Hi Ian

Sorry for not posting earlier, been a busy weekend and things dont seem like calming any time soon!

As for santander, they can pretty much stuff your payslip where the sun don't shine. Don't send it to them. You don't need to provide anyone with a payslip other than a court as far as I am aware. Your I&E should be sufficient.

Also, give them the list with your other balances on it. Funnily enough, I have a spreadsheet if you want to use it to help you calc your pro-rata based on your balances. You can enter your data into it and print it off and send it to them. I think it was Seq that said, don't let on who your other creditors were and to mark down Personal Loan, Current Account, Credit Card etc as the debt name - follow that advice.

Santander don't need to ever accept your repayment but they can't refuse payment. If you appear to be paying all your creditors fairly using the pro-rata method, they pretty much wont pursue it any further as a Court would use the same calc (I know this from experience! George Walker; two finger salute to you's!). Just make sure that your repayments are worked out pro-rata or they may be arsical about it!

Let me know if you want that spreadsheet and I will forward it on - don't want to just spam you LOL!

See page 4 sample letter A here for your letter:

http://www.bdl.org.uk/admin/images/14_ew_creditorrefusesmyoffer.pdf

Hope this helps you out.

Hi all a little update. I sent all my letters off with tingys advice in a more considered rather that agressive style, and the results are starting to come in.

I've managed to agree a short term arrangement with M&S for a fiver a month for the next 3 months with a review after that time they've been surprisingly reasonable. Sandander have been back in touch they are still asking for a bank statement, a pay slip and a list of creditors with confirmation of outstanding balances, before they'll consider a temporary arrangement! i've sent an IE in naturally. whats the approach now more agressive is there any rules i can quote to tell em to stick it.

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian,

I'm definitely with Scottbhoy on this one. They actually have no legal right to even ask for your IE sheet, only a judge can demand it, but if you want to come to a solution, then my opinion is to send it. Others on here disagree strongly.

As regards Santander I believe the best approach is to start off nicely as you have. If they play awkward, then so do you. They have your IE which you have voluntarily supplied. They have I would imagine a list of your creditors set out as Scottbhoy suggested hopefully - no harm in supplying that and amounts so they can see it is worked out fairly. If they haven't had this, I would send this, but nothing else and say this is their final chance to receive this offer, otherwise you have to assume they are deliberately being obstructive in your efforts to repay your debt and you will from now on pay a token payment of £1 per month. It is then up to them what they do. If it were to go to court, my belief is that as long as you can demonstrate you made every effort to agree a sensible repayment plan with them you will not be penalised.

Others on here disagree strongly.

Yeah, I still don't get that.

Tioaboa. If you follow Tingy's and Scotty's advice you'll not go far wrong at all. I can assure you on that. If any creditor asks for extra info, e.g. bank statements etc you should consider a formal complaint. Their actions are not in the spirit of the lending code.

Thanks Gents, :-)

my IE includes a list of creditors censored as suggested by Tingy, with the pro-rata amount for all parties listed. I'll send it again with the next letter. pointing out other creditors have accepted reduced payments. I'll post my letter for input later or tomrorow.

What to do with nationwide? I was going to write and thank them for their offer but point out the letter reached me before I was able to make the requested payment, but I will be happy to accept those terms changing the start date to the 4th of July and see what they say. I might ring up :roll: is this a good idea?

Thanks again for all the input.

Ian

Thanks

Ian

So Far:

Outstanding:

Hi Ian,

To be fair Scott pointed out the list of creditors, I merely repeated it! I'm always happy to pinch his praise though lol! As regards Nationwide, could you not send the June payment now stating it is only late as you've only just received their letter, then send July one in good time for the 4th. Ideally set up standing orders (not Direct Debits) with them so it all becomes automatic.

It sounds like you've made a great start - well done. Isn't it a good feeling to be back in control again?

It sounds like you've made a great start - well done. Isn't it a good feeling to be back in control again?

Yes looking good many thanks to scott and your good self for the great advice.

Controls another matter .....I now need to get mrs T to try to live within the budget - which is manageable and doesn't leave us short. She's having trouble adjusting! In fairness to her she's doing as many extra shifts as she can at work so thats a brilliant help. I keep saying she can do what she likes with anything she earns over her basic as i've only declared that amount on the IE.

Its tough she see me as her dad she says scolding her if she buys anything - not entirely true - but i might be a bit short occasionally.

Ian

Thanks

Ian

So Far:

Outstanding:

I am pleased to hear that things have started to fall into place for you. Believe me, you do adapt to living within a budget and it becomes triumphant when you have a little bit left over at the end of the month :)

Keep up the good work.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Another update after more letters this week, halifax have accepted a £5 per month for six months at with interest and charges frozen! and I'd offered the pro-rata payment so thats a good response.

I've still satander and Tesco to write to and see how they respond.

Cheers again all .... its great to see it all start to work. I expect I'll have some troubles with satander but lets see.

Ian

Thanks

Ian

So Far:

Outstanding:

Fantastic news, thank you for the update. You've had a really good start. What my wife and I did when both of us were struggling to live within budget was withdraw in cash what we could spend each week, lock away the cards and once the money was gone it was gone. That was it!

HI All I've finally drafted the letter for satander I'd be gratful for any input if its a bit heavy handed etc. I've included a bit about telephone calls as i've getting between 5 an 6 calls a day from them while not terrible is becoming annoying.

With Thanks

Ian

Thank you for your letter of 27 May 2011 concerning the above account.

I have provided you with a current income and expenditure form, which details my outgoings, and on that form section F details my outstanding debts. My offer still stands at £42.20 based upon the calculations in the form provided. I have included another copy for your reference with the section highlighted.

The majority of my other creditors have already agreed to the offer of payment and agreed to suspend any interest charges still accruing. They have accepted the Income and Expenditure document and have arranged temporary agreements with me, which includes the suspension of interest and charges.

I would be grateful if you could confirm your acceptance of my offer within 20 working days of this letter. However, should you feel unable for any reason not to accept it, I will still continue to make a goodwill payment of £5.00 on the 28th of each month, or the first working day thereafter.

I also wish address your persistent telephone calls, which I find personally harassing. I am of the view that your continued harassment of me by telephone puts you in breach of Section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970, and the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

If you continue to harass me by telephone, you will also be in breach of the Communications Act (2003) s.127 and I will report you to OFCOM, Trading Standards and The Office of Fair Trading, meaning that you will be liable to a substantial fine.

I now require all future communication be in writing for the avoidance of doubt. This serves to protect both of us from the possibility of any misunderstanding.

I look forward to receiving a positive response from you

Thanks

Ian

So Far:

Outstanding:

that was quick cheers tingy

I'll do two separate letters then, I've the harrasment template to use.

Thanks

Ian

Thanks

Ian

So Far:

Outstanding:

• 2 weeks later...

just a quick update the harrasment letter worked a treat and satander have stopped ringing ! :whoo: however they still stubbornly asking for a pay slips etc. Oh well I guess I'll be reading the OFT guidelines to see if they have something i can quote at them. Another thing they seem to use the worlds slowest postal service; a letter sent on 22/6 arrived on 28/6, which is making quick responses difficult! the other letter regarding my offer is still outstanding.

still making some progress now cheers guys.

Ian

Thanks

Ian

So Far:

Outstanding: