Tax credit fraud so frightened

CDJ755
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4006 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have learnt my lesson too. I am just so worried. i am petrified that i will lose my home and children. I darent speak to the rest of my family as i know they will be so ashamed of me. I can only come to this forum and the CAB. its all my own doings and i have no-one except myself to blame.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone would like advice based on their own situation, please feel free to start a new thread for members to assist.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again. I thought I would update my situation. I have now sent a letter to HMRC informing tax credits that I have been wrongly claiming the childcare element since Oct 2009. I was too frightened to phone them and I couldnt even bring myself to go the CAB and actually say it out loud what I had done. I am so ashamed.

I apologised profusely and offerd an explanation to why I had done it. I explained how financially I was on the verge of bankruptcy and that I made a very silly decision to continue claiming childcare instead of informing them that I didnt need it anymore.

I am now awaiting a reply from HMRC but I am so frightened now. Im scared of the response that they are going to prosecute me and what will happen to my childen if I go to jail.

Does anybody know what there next move will be? If they are prosecuting me, will they write and invite me for an IUC? Or do I get a visit from the police??? And if I am lucky enough to avoid prosecution and its a civil investigation, what will they do now they have read my letter which is basically a full confession? Will they start looking back over all my years of claiming childcare and want to speak to my old childcare provider (when the children were in nursery - they are now at school and the school was the most recent registered provider that I had down as they did have some chidcare at holiday club in school during 2008-2009) aswell as the school?

I am so ashamed - If they speak to the school will they tell them what ive done? I dont think I could face going up to the school office then because they all know me as we are quite friendly.

The not knowing of the outcome is killing me - I cant sleep and I just spend all day trawling the internet for the outcome of cases similar to mine. But then when the postman comes up the path I start having panic attacks incase its a lettr from HMRC! I dont know whats worse - the not knowing, or finding out its the worst possible outcome!

• 3 weeks later...

Please help me.

I have been fraudulently claiming chilcare tax credit for about 2 years and now am getting reviewed and need to supply receipts and don't have them.

My husband left me 2 years ago and I had a breakdown from that being left in debt. I was planning to put my children in childcare but my circumstances change but I never told them. I don't know why I kept it going this long but it is something I regret.

I just don't know what to do, I am beside myself. The house I live in is a joint mortgage with me and my ex and im affraid I'll lose everything even my children.

I have never done anything like this before and I honestly believe it started with mental health and has now spiralled.

I don't have anybody I can turn to and my health is still bad and is now getting worse.

Will I go to prison? Will they take my house?

The thing is I was going to stop the claim this month.

Someone please help.

Well seems like there are a lot of people in this situation, myself included, I cannot offer advice, and am worried also, so I fully understand where you are coming from...it is definitely the not knowing what might happen...please keep your posts updated, as it may just offer a little comfort to someone else.

Hello again. Well Im still in apsolute turmoil. Its been 3 long weeks now since I sent my letter of full confession to tax credits. I sent it SPECIAL delivery but still have not heard anything back from them. I get my tax credits paid weekly on a Friday and HMRC havent even suspended the childcare elemet of it yet. Which is making me panic even more.

In the letter that I received from HMRC Compliance Team (asking me for receipts and contrats from childcare provider) it stated that I had to return the information by the 16th May. Well I made sure that the my letter of confession arrived in time for that date. by sending it SPECIAL DELIVERY - But then I went and lost the bloody proof of postage so I cant even check to see if HMRC have received it using the ref number on the receipt from the post office!! :-x. The reason i sent special delivery was to ensure it landed there on time and not miss the deadline - I didnt even occur to me it would go missing! But the thing is I dont even know if its missing - it might not be so I cant file a Lost Letter Form with Post Offfice and Im still too scared to ring HMRC to check if they have got it!!!!

The whole reason I sent the letter in to confess was because I just cannit bring myself to speak to them on the phone. Im petrified of what they will do now if they havnt got the letter - I maybe in even more trouble as they will think ive just ignored their request for information.

But surely if they thought that i had ignored them I would have received a further letter from them by now repeating that they require information about my childcare. But if they have recived the letter what are they doing now as they havnt stopped paying me the childcare element. My letter stated that I hadnt had any childcare since Oct 2009. Why is it taking them so long to do anything?

Does it usually take this long? does anybody know whats happening??? I know people will say i should phone them to check if theyve got my letter but I just cant do it. I cant even go to the CAB and tell them im so ashamed.

Im so sorry for rambling on but this is just an apsolute nightmare. Im just writing in the hope someone on here is in the second stage of this as I see a lot of people are also in the same boat as me with tax credits.

Thank you in advance.

Hi There, I am in the same boat and worried sick, I have been claiming £60 per week for the last year and I have been spending that on childcare but not to my registered holiday club as the kids are now older I have sent them to sports activities in the holidays, I am so lapse with things like this that I did not think to tell Tax Credits.I have not kept any receipts so have had a letter fron the holiday club and afterschool club but it has worked out that only an average of £20 per month has gone to themI feel so silly and angry with myself that I have got into this situation, I have three kids and feel like I have let them down, I am now worried that I will end up in prison and keep waiting for a police officer to turn up at my door. I recieved the letter last Thursday and have tried to call the number on the letter numerous times but it is out of order, I have tried to speak to the helpline but they have informed me that I have to speak to the case worker, I am going round in circles, I have now decided to send all the information and tell them what I have done in a letter recorded delivery to the main address as there is no address on the letter.My husband and I split up years ago and for financial reasons he is still on the mortgage as I have a bad credit record and would not be able to get one on my own, I am worried now that this will also be brought into it and will be investigated for that, I pay all the bills, food, childrens clothing, activites, have my own car etc he pays part of the mortgage as maintanence.Please could somebody advise me I cannot sleep, eat and finding it hard to function in work, I know it is all my fault, and hope I can pay the money back without being prosecuted.Any advise would be greatly appreciated xx

have you got a local tax enquiry office? if so why not make an appointment there and see if they can help at least you will be seeing someone face to face.

I know my rights Mr DCA I'm with the CAG......hello hello where you gone Mr DCA8)

I have written my letter today and tge gravity of the situation scares me I can't believe I have done this.

I did try and call today and own up also but the shear embarrassment stopped me but I know I will have to speak to someone eventually.

Can anyone advise is they are further along with this process?

Hi NB7702,

Im still with no change - still waiting for a reply to my letter - nearly 4 weeks now.

Well done for writing the letter as that, for me, was really tough. Like you say the enormity of it hits you once you start writing it all down. I too feel so ashamed I cant speak to anyone about it - not even the CAB - I just cant bring myself to say the words.

Remember to post the letter Recorded or better still Special delivery for your own peace of mind.

Good luck - let me know if anything changes for you.

CDJ755 x

I have just plucked up the courage and called them. I honestly can say it is like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. The lady (Sarah Jane) was very understanding and told her everything I have been through etc and was great. She has cancelled the claim and has said that the money I owe will be taken off any future amounts.

She said I WOULD DEFINATELY NOT go to prison and it's just a case of recalculating my payments and not to worry.

I would advise any of you in the same position to do the same. I did write a letter but the waiting was killing me.

It is shameful but she was great. I cried and cried but by the end of the call I felt so much better.

She also said I wasn't the only one and it wasn't tge crime of the century.

I now just need to wait for a letter and she us going to speak to a case worker for me.

She just called back and was great.

They have stopped the claim from apr 2011 as that is all she can do but said they will wait for my letter so they can action the previous year.

She said that what happens is they will send out and award notice minus childcare and that will be that for this year. Then I will get a letter to tell me how much I was over paid last year and then take it off any entitlement monthly and maybe have a monthly payment. If I think the payment is to high they give you a helpline to negotiate another figure that suits.

I asked if I will be interviewed and she said not and that it's all done via letter.

I hope this puts some of your minds at rest, honestly call them it was ok.

I have just plucked up the courage and called them. I honestly can say it is like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. The lady (Sarah Jane) was very understanding and told her everything I have been through etc and was great. She has cancelled the claim and has said that the money I owe will be taken off any future amounts.

She said I WOULD DEFINATELY NOT go to prison and it's just a case of recalculating my payments and not to worry.

I would advise any of you in the same position to do the same. I did write a letter but the waiting was killing me.

It is shameful but she was great. I cried and cried but by the end of the call I felt so much better.

She also said I wasn't the only one and it wasn't tge crime of the century.

I now just need to wait for a letter and she us going to speak to a case worker for me.

Can I ask if you just rang the normal number? 08453003900

Well if you have nothing to lose and I think this department deals with this kind of thing all the time. I initially asked to speak to a case worker but she helped me.

Are you being reviewed?

Honestly I thought it would be 100 times worse but now I feel so much better.

Good luck

Well done for phoning, you will sleep tonight. Have they given an estimation of how much you owe? I have sent my letter off now all recorded delivery.will have to wait and see, we will all certainly be more careful in future.

Thanks...no I am not being reviewed, but I cannot deal with this anymore...I have lived so long with all the worry! I am on the phone to them now, I have rang the helpline, and am on hold, sat here shaking....!

I have phoned them, and like NB7702, I feel relieved, I have asked for my childcare to be stopped for now, so no more overpayment is accrued but will beable to reclaim as I need to get a breakdown of what I have actually paid, so will write a letter to my childcare provider asking for that information. I asked regarding overpayment and how much is calculated in what is paid back, the guy on the phone said usually the most they take is 10percent of what tax credits you receive....I also asked about volunary payment aswell and he said yes this would also be accepted. I simply overestimated on what childcare i do pay, but with the housing benefit problem too, it has made me look at everything, concerning benefits, I for one, have learnt a harsh lesson. I also would advise anyone in this situation to confess, the stress and worry this has caused me is unbelievable, but I have no-one to blame but myself!

WELL DONE YOU TWO FOR RINGING!!!!!

So NB7702,

Have they calculated the overpayment and given you a rough estimate of how much you owe? And was your overpayment over more than one tax year?

If so, did they say you will have to pay a penalty for making a false declaration?? Dis they mention prosecution at all?

Sorry for the twenty questions Im just desperate to know whats gonna happen!! Feel free to Message me if you dont want to put everything on here.

I wish i could have the courage to phone - im just burying my head in the sand at the mo and will have a heartattack when a brown envelope comes thru my letterbox.

They have not calculated my overpayment and mine was over 2 tax years. However she assurred me that I will get no fine as I came clean and due to my personal circumstances.

I have over the last week thought of suicide I'm ashamed to admit but after phoning I feel so much better.

I expect the amount I owe to be in the region of £15000.

I feel a massive relief and think I will sleep tonight knowing I'm not going to court or jail.

I wish I'd only done it sooner as they were very understanding.

X

Sorry they assurred me no prosection just to repay the amount over an amount of time. She said I'm not the only and I came clean which stands for a lot.

I also wrote a letter but felt I needed to speak with someone as the uncertainty of police at my door was killing me.

A lesson learnt is an understatment I'm so relieved and feel I can finally after 2 years start to rebuild my life.