• Tweets

• is the home in joint names but this is solely your debt? need far more history to be able to comment if it's paid off and was not just written of by one partly on their books and sold to anther, thus the cra file says £0. dx
    • So, Sunak has managed to get someone to 'volunteer to go to Rwanda hasn't he? .. for just £3000 payment to the person plus 5 years free board and lodging isnt it? - cost to UK taxpayer over £300M+ (300 million quid+) isnt it? - Bargain says Rwanda, especially with all the profit we made privately selling those luxury chalets Bravermann advertised for us   I wonder how many brits would jump at that offer? Thousands? Hundreds of thousands? Lets see, up to 5 years free board and lodging and £3k in my pocket .. I'd go - and like that person - just come back if/when I get bored. First job - off to Botswana for a week to see the elephants.   Of course the paid volunteers going to Botswana are meaningless - Rwanda have REPEATEDLY said they wont take any forcibly trafficked people in breach of international law eh? Have the poops actually got any civil servants to agree to go yet - probably end up as more massive payments to VIPal contractors to go and sit there doing nowt shortly eh?    
    • Hi Wondered if I could get a little advise please. I entered into a commercial lease (3 years) and within a few months I had to leave as the business I was trading with collapsed. I returned the keys to the landlord and explained the situation and no money, also likely to go on benefits but the landlord stuck to their guns. They have now instructed solicitors to send letter before action claiming just over £4000. The lease was mine and so the debt. I know this. I have emailed the solicitors twice to explain I am out of work and that with help from family I could offer a full and final settlement figure of £1500 or £10pw. This was countered by them with an offer to reduce the debt by £400, or pay off the amount over 12 months. I went back with an improved full and final offer of £2500 or £20pw. This has been rejected with the comment 'papers ready to go to court'. I have no hope of paying the £4000 and so it will have to go to court. Pity as I have no debts otherwise but not working is a killer. I wondered if they take me to court, could I ask for mediation? I also think that taking me to court will result in a pretty much nothing per week payment from my benefits. Are companies just pushing ahead with action even if a better offer is on the table? Thanks for your help.
    • Hi all, Many thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, the reply to the email was as expected…   Starbucks UK Customer Care <[email protected]> Hi xxxxxx, We are sorry to read you received a parking charge after using our Stansted Airport - A120 DT store. Unfortunately, the car park here is managed by MET parking. Both Starbucks and EuroGarages who own and operate this site are not able to help and have no authority to overturn any parking charges received. If you have followed the below terms then you would need to send all correspondence to [email protected], who will be able to assist you further. Several signs around the car park clarify the below terms and conditions: • Maximum stay 60 minutes, whilst the store is open. If the store is closed, pay to park applies. • The car park is for Starbucks customers only who make a purchase in our store, a charge will be issued if you left the site. • If you had made a purchase and required additional time, you must have inputted your registration number into the in store iPad which would have extended your stay up to 3 hours • To park in a disabled bay, you must have displayed a valid disabled badge. • If Starbucks was closed, you must have paid for parking as charges still apply, following signage located on site. • If you didn’t use the store, you must have paid for parking, following signage located on site Please ensure all further correspondence is directed to MET parking at the above email address, and accept our apologies that we cannot help you further on this matter.  Kind Regards,  Lora K  Customer Care Team Leader Starbucks Coffee Company, Building 4 Chiswick Park, London, W4 5YE
    • Thanks HB edited and re-uploaded. Thanks for the heads up 👍
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

URGENT-Signed off sick with stress-employer wants me to attend a meeting tomorrow???!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4750 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

I've been with my present employer since end of November. I am still in probation (6 months). I've recently had to take 2 short periods ( one of 3 days & one of 5 days) off work to care for my partner who has had mental health issues. I began feeling unwell (couldn't sleep, stressed, anxious, not eating) during the 2nd time off to car for my partner (who is now fully recovered and back at work) & went to the G.P. After asking me some questions he signed me off sick for 2 weeks with 'acute stress reaction'. I sent this straight away to my employer recorded delivery (this illness followed straight on from the 5 day period caring for my partner-I asked for a sicknote from day 1 -even though company policy is to self-certify for the sick pay scheme-I thought they may well have asked for a note for the 1st 7 days so asked for a sick note straight away) & have followed to the letter the correct procedure regarding calling in etc. I am also within my rights to 'take time off for dependents' as I had done (this is unpaid).

I received an e-mail from my employer asking me to attend a 'probation review' with my line manager & someone from HR. E-mail received Tuesday pm (they have apparently put this in writing-I'll receive this today)-to attend Thursday am-on the same floor as my work collegues (not even in a different office!).

Now looking at the company employment book I am now over the 'trigger point' for illness. At this point it can be reviewed & a plan to monitor further abscence can be put in place.

This is sending my stress levels through the roof & I feel its completely wrong. I phoned our employee advice line & was told it was completely reasonable to request the meeting was moved forward to when I was back at work & fit & well. I'll be contacting my G.P this am & feel sure they will give me a covering letter to this effect.

I know as I've been in work under a year & am still in probation my rights are not great. I also feel that my employer may be discrimanating against my time off to care for my partner (who is classed as disabled I've been told & I am her carer).

HELP! Has anyone got any ideas???

Just to clarify I've been signed off for 2 weeks from last Friday.

Edited by Brachetthecub
Forgot something

Nothing they can do when you are signed off sick you are unfit for work, so can not enter the workplace. They can ask you to attend medicals to assess your health.They should arrange the meeting for when you return to work and it may be that its nothing to worry about they may be just trying to make sure that when you return to work that they have done everything to reduce any stress. If you are in a union then contact them.

I know my rights Mr DCA I'm with the CAG......hello hello where you gone Mr DCA8)

Hello there. I'm not sure about getting extra information from your GP, as you already have a 'sick note'.

I agree with Padja that they should postpone the meeting until you are fit again. I would ask for that first and only ask for a letter from your GP if you need it in addition to the medical certificate. A caring employer should understand that a meeting at this stage will only aggravate your stress.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Again HB thanks for the prompt reply. Beleive it or not I work for a charity (!)...but the way they are being does not seem at all 'caring'. If my G.P. will type a letter stressing I'm unfit to attend surely this will help matters? Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Hi there. I wouldn't go for further letters unless they don't want to postpone the meeting.

I'm not that surprised that a charity is behaving this way. I would have been before I joined this forum, but we've seen it before.

Are you going to contact your employer today, do you think?

My best, HB

Contact them and say you're not well enough to attend. Don't phone, email.

Charities. Humbug.

Pithily expressed as ever, my cephalopod friend :).

I agree with Pulpo, don't ring. It's too tough on you and you never know what they might say.

My best, HB

I wouldn't ask for a letter from doctor, unless they insist on meeting, sometimes a phone call from Doctor direct to employers stops it dead, (our doc had to ring G/F's work when she had stress work suddenly couldn't do enough). unfortunately some charities forget they have to abide by employment law when they employ people (I speak as a former trustee of charity). Just get yourself better, and dont be afraid to go to GP and tell them what work is doing the GP may contact the employer on your behalf and actually sort it out. I agree with elpupo email them you then have a record of what happened

I know my rights Mr DCA I'm with the CAG......hello hello where you gone Mr DCA8)

I would email them, advising them that you are unable to attend due to present illness. Under no account telephone them

Rules change today it is now a FIT note ! In theory your GP is supposed to be able to advise what kinds of support you may need to be able to return to work.

You could also ask for any Disability/equalities policy in place to be sent to you prior to any meeting aong with any witness statements to be relied upon.

Check out equalities.go.uk look for carers section. I would suggest that you are indeed protected by EA, but make sure it is relevant to your person circumstances, bring this to the attention of the union, most in my experience know even less than the employer about disability issues.

You have to differentiate between illness and disability. Lots of business, etc, use an automated scoring system for absence managment; all to often it fails too consider a disability, which can be discrimination in and of itself !

No harm in contact the gp and explaining what is happening and how it is having a detrimental effect upon you, remember if OH contacts your GP this information would be passed over ! Most OH are more aware of stress, DDA etc and its implications than HR.

Good luck

Thanks whitecraig. I now have the letter. The 'review hearing' is to do with my present illness & overall concerns about my attendence. My 'time off for dependents' was reported correctly. My partner is in receipt of disability living allowence so is classed as disabled. One of the points raised in the summary about the concerns for my abscence IS the 2 times I've taken off (unpaid) to look after her. Surely as a 'carer' this has some impact? I must stress my partner is now fit & well & back at work. Whats worrying me is that 'if i do not attend this hearing, it may be held in your abscence & you will be informed in writing of the decision taken'. Surely if a GP can confirm in writing that I am unfit to attend it's reasonable for them to re-schedule the meeting to when I'm fit & well?

First apologies, it's equalities.gov.uk.

It gives a clear example of a similar situation, it may well be worthwhile printing it off, copy for yourself, the union and some for the employer too. You should phone and seek advice.

You may have to remind them very politely, that if you are absent from work for a reason relating to illness, you are not covered by the employers Public Liability Insurance.

Also as you are unaware of what documentation that is intended to be relied upon and to enable you to seek advice from your union you ask that the meeting be adjorned until such time as you have had this opportunity.

Further, that you are someone protected by the EA and will seek a reasonable adjustment.

HR should be aware that you don't have a period of employment for Discrimination claims, it can be on day one, so you can go to an employment tribunal should you choose that option.

I would try to be positive, some don't understand what being a carer means, you just need to remind them of the protection you have.

How would this charity like defending an ET with all the possible publicity ?

Let the union do the talking, but don't expect them to know anything about equalities.

I am sure that there are lots of people here who can help and advise you.

Thanks....unfortunately I'm not in a union & the fact that I'm in probation does not help. My G.P has faxed through (which I feel is needed)-a good letter. I still fear I'll be sacked though & they'll have the meeting in my absence. Thanks all for your help....will let you know what happens. Not gone into the equalities side of things yet-will see what is said.

Whilst you are still within a probationary period and your employment rights are less, due to the length of service. NORMALLY

However, you arn't normal your a carer !!!!!!

Being tongue in cheek there.

The point is that it will never have occured to them that you are protected by EA as you care for someone disabled.

Normally, you would be unable to go to an ET however for discrimination cases there is no time barrier so you could if you choose go to an ET. You need to tell them this from the outset, it affects the way you are see and treated by the employer but also the impact that their actions could have externally.

You really need to differentiate between illness for yourself, which quite rightly they can discuss and disability matters relating to your caring role, which is a separate issue

I do know how tiring it is and it is one more thing you can do without, try to get someone to go with you to the meeting, have you approached a local carers centre for support/advice quite often they can have tie-ins with local solicitors.

Good luck, you could consider covertly recording the meeting, so that there is a record of who said what, a mobile phone ?

Hi....have already said that due to G.P's advice I won't attend tomorrow-asking for the meeting to be postponed until I'm fit (as G.P. said in the fax they sent him). Have already mentioned (& this was copied in to H.R.) that I do feel a bit discriminated against as the 'time of for dependants' was listed with the 'areas of concern'. We'll see what happens...! Again-thanks & will keep you updated.

Good, you do need to make sure that they understand that you are more than willing to attend a meeting once your GP has approved your return to work.

Ask for the information be sent to you now as it will help towards a positive and inclusive meeting !

If you do need to send further sicklines get your GP to mentioned work related stress.

It maybe if there is a charity related to YOH disability they may have a tie in with the Disability Law centre in London, check with CAB. Equalities and Human Rights Commission would be useful as should be able to help.

However, first and foremost needs to be your own health and well being,

Take care of yourself.

alan

Ok....G.P'S letter stating I'm not fit to attend the meeting faxed through day before meeting. As far as I'm aware the meeting has been put on hold but they have asked if it's OK for a member of their Occupational Health department to call me 'to understand more about what is going on'. I also mentioned briefly in the letter that I did feel a little discriminated against as the time I had to take off work to look after my GF was 'a cause for concern'. I mentioned that I felt discriminated against in my role as a carer. I have agreed to the Occupational Health team calling me.

So....looks like the probationary meeting is I hope on hold until I'm back at work!

Anyone any idea how to deal with the occ. health people? A bit concerned as they're obviously paid by my employer.

I would agree about emailing, unless you advise up front that you will be recording phone call, I would emphasis the stress that this is causing you, that you feel that it is unjustified because you were absent for a reason which is protected by the EA.

That your managment aren't being as supportive as you would have expected as they are aware of your circumstances.

Personally, I have found most OH very supportive, yes they are contracted by your employer, however they are still a Dr who owes YOU a duty of care, they ususally have a far better understanding of DDA than most HR staff. There sole concern should be enabling your return to work.

They will also liase with your own GP, perhaps you can let your GP know how you are protected by EA, as they will pass this on.

Thanks both! Whitecraig....the 'concerns' about my absence included one x 1 day off for sickness, my present 14 day signed off perion AND the 2 periods off looking after my GF.....so they are looking at all the absences. I think the fact that I went straight off ill after a 5 day period looking after my G/F is what they may be concerned about...but i did mention to them before I was signed off that looking after my G/F was making me anxious, not able to sleep & stressed. Sorry...can someone explain what DDA is?

Also....I've agreed by e-mail (& on a phone call to manager) that i'll speak to OH. Would I not appear to be 'uncooperative' if I changed this stance? Remember I'm still in probation.

Edited by Brachetthecub

DDA = Disability Discrimination Act.

This became replaced by the Equalities Act or EA, you can either go to Carers UK or try this adviceguide.org.uk/index/equalities_act_2010_carer.pdf. it is the official leaflet from the Goverment.

You are being treated less favourably because of you caring responsibilities.

If you weren't caring you wouldn't have been absent, therefore you wouldn't be having the meeting as you don't trigger the protocol. Most forget that disability and illness are NOT the same thing. We can all get the Flu BUT if you have MS you are more susceptable to getting the infection and also take longer to recover due to your disability, so if the average person was absent for 10 days but the person with MS is off for 60 days then a reasonable adjustment is required, you cannot treat them as having been ill with flu for that time.

It was called the BUT FOR test, but for you having this, would you have been absent. I submit in your circumstances BUT FOR you caring for your partner, a disabled person, you would not have been absent from work.

Sadly, sometimes you do have to very politely point out the error of their ways, it is done out of ignorance and stupidity, rarely malice, not that it makes you feel any better.

Hope that makes it as clear as mud ! Take care and find time to enjoy the nice weather

alan

Thanks guys! Alan....unfortunately the 2 times I've been off ill DO go over the companys 'trigger' point. However....as mentioned earlier the 2 times off to care for G/F were mentioned as a 'cause for concern' so the obviously got that wrong. I must say my G.P. has been great about this-very supportive. I still feel they're being a bit 'quick off the mark' calling in OH-after all the G.P had signed me off. Oh well...will keep you all posted. Thanks again!

Whitecraig.....I suppose the 'BUT FOR' could be applied to why I'm off ill now. If it wasn't for the extreme stress/pressure of looking after my partner maybe I wouldn't have been off ill now?? Who knows....but if I wasn't off ill now then I wouldn't have been over the 'trigger figure' for absence. We'll see what happens...

I have found that having OH at meetings is a positive, they are more than able to reign in any excess by managment, they are there to help support you back to work, it is an extremely stupid manager who would choose not to follow their advice.

I would guess that it is a standard procedure that is being followed, OH will talk with your GP and in conjunction with them will work out the best way to support you at work.