Misled by Publication - can we do anything?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4788 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I hope this is posted in the right place as my wife and I feel deeply agreived by the actions of a magazine.

I have anonymised the text below deliberately.

My wife has a very small business which she operates as a sole trader and was apporached by a magazine to place an advertisement which she did. This was only done as the publication in question presented itself as being something it wasn't i.e. affiliated to a specific and respected trade organisation which it was not.

My wife has done the following:

• Telephoned the trade body - who claim this is very common for this publication and they are highly frustrated by their actions.
  • Telephoned the publication itself who - unsurprisingly deny any wrongdoing and had the audacity to accuse her of libel (difficult for a phone call!)
  • She is going to contact trading standards (but I know they have their limitations hence this thread)

As the advertisement was taken entirely as a result of this publication misrepresenting itself (primarily by omision and slight of hand rather than overtly) is there anything that we can do as the money spend (c.£600) would be useful for the business and would not have been spent with this publication if they had been honest with us.

In short we feel we have been conned.

Thank you in advance for any help.

A n d r e w

Yes, you can always take them to court for misrepresentation or fraud, in small claims court, then a judge will decide if your claims are founded.

Suggest you write a letter before action asking for a refund and depending on response, decide if you want to go down that route. does not cost too much, get the forms from your local court.

might be worth taking a peek at

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?42695-Advertising-[problem]-Small-Companies-beware(1-Viewing)-nbsp

lots of people having this problem

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

My wife has a very small business which she operates as a sole trader and was apporached by a magazine to place an advertisement which she did. This was only done as the publication in question presented itself as being something it wasn't i.e. affiliated to a specific and respected trade organisation which it was not.

This is specifically defined by Schedule 1 to the The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008, as a strict liability criminal offence:

4. Claiming that a trader (including his commercial practices) or a product has been approved, endorsed or authorised by a public or private body when the trader, the commercial practices or the product have not or making such a claim without complying with the terms of the approval, endorsement or authorisation.
This means that in order to secure a conviction, all you have to do is establish that they said they were when they're not.

As to Trading Standards, far from being limited, the Regulations prescribe a Duty to enforce which means that if they don't, you can act against them.

As your initial enquiries were done on the telephone, you should write to these bodies and get it in black and white before you kick up too much of a fuss, it will make life, and any further action, so much easier for you.

As your initial enquiries were done on the telephone, you should write to these bodies and get it in black and white before you kick up too much of a fuss, it will make life, and any further action, so much easier for you.

Intersting point. The initial focus at present is discussions with the bank and the organisation they are 'piggybacking' on.

My wife - unlike me - is rather organised.

Thanks again