UK debt in the US

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4805 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey all, So I am a uk citizen who left 3 years ago to move to the US. I have an account with Natwest which is 5k Overdrawn on current account (including a bunch of charges), a loan for under 4k and a CC for 5k

I am trying to pay them off but the charges on the checking account just keep rising

They sent a letter to my parent's house asking for an address. My dad would have refused but they said that they would black-mark his credit status if I did not comply

Is this true. What are my options?

Thank you

Is this true. What are my options?
No it's not true & your father should make a complaint to his local Trading Standards, the OFT and the ICO.

If you stopped payment there isn't a great deal they can do, eventually they will sell the debt on to a debt collection agency... again there's little they can do either, see; http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?282263-UK-Debt-Living-in-US

Or is it a debt collector chasing now?

Eventually they will pass the a/c to an outside collector.

There isn't much you can do about the overdraft but with the cc & loan if there is PPI or any unfair charges that they've made you can reclaim them + Statutory interest thus reducing the debt.

Ok thank you very much for your help. I'm trying to make payments to reduce the loan (costs more to send from the US via paypal). My CC account was removed from my online banking so unable to make payments to that