Blind/Disabled+1 Day Overdrawn=£136.00 In Charges From HBOS

LizzieT84
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6456 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I received a letter from Halifax Bank Of Scotland this morning informing me that as my account was overdrawn when they attempted to pay direct debits for £15, £19 and £53 and as the money was not in the account until the next day I was to be charged £136.00.

I phoned Halifax and the first lady I spoke to seemed to find it quite amused about the whole affair and when I said about wanting to speak to somebody superior she suggested I put it in writing and (knowing I was blind) decided to add that I better make sure I signed the letter.

I spoke to her superior who said that there was nothing they could do and as a 'good will' gesture HBOS were willing to 'waive' £30 meaning the only charges I'd incur would be a tiny £106.00 for being overdrawn for a day.

She then transferred me to the customer relations department who told me they weren't the customer relations department and gave me the correct number for the customer relations department.

I spoke to a lady in the customer relations department who wasn't especially interested in customer relations and said that if people choose to 'abuse' the terms and conditions of their account then any and all charges they incur are their own fault... not sympathetic in the slightest.

I then spoke to a guy in the Chief Execs office who said that he had the discretion to waive the charges but wouldn't.

Does anyone else think that it's not entirely fair that a disabled person who struggles enough as it is should be charged £136 for being overdrawn for 1 day?

Lizzie

Certainly it isn't, its not fair that anyone should be charged, least of all anyone disabled or disadvantaged thats why we are all here Lizzie!

if these are the only charges you have incurred so far send them them a prelim request letter, good luck!

Nah,

Just two months ago I was charged about £88 and over the years have been charged numerous charges... hate to think how much. Maybe, like they say, it's my own fault for 'abusing' the terms and conditions of my account by not being a multi-billion pound profit-generating greedy bank who have lots of other peoples money at their disposal.

Lizzie

I have a screen-reader called JAWS which reads what's on my screen (so long as its not an image or pdf) but still navigation is pretty difficult. I'll have a look. Does it make a difference if I'm in Scotland? I don't have a cheque book as I can't sign cheques.