Slip Road Explanation

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4968 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Could someone clarify whether a slip road connecting two motorways is also considered to be a motorway?

My understanding is that crossing a whiteline/verge on a slip road, that is splitting, traffic only in one direction, is an offence punishable by caution as long as due care has been taken. On a motorway this can be considered a bit more serious.

Thanks

I expect it's under motorway regs unless you have passed an "End of motorway" sign.

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

Your question is too vague. Motorway regs apply from the time you pass the first blue sign at the start of the slip road.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

This is the slip road connecting M25(clockwise) to M4. Leaving M25, about half way down (200 meters), this slip road splits in to two. No traffic in the opposite direction. One connects to M4(eastward) other to M4(westward). At the point of split there are dashed lines or verge. Is the verge a motorway verge or slip road verge? I did not see any signs to indicate this was also a motorway. When I entered the slip road from M25 did I leave the motorway? Thanks for trying to help.

Yes, it is still a motorway and motorway rules apply . You will even notice at the start of that particular junction, it has variable speed cameras

"Areas of white diagonal stripes or white chevrons painted on the road are to separate traffic lanes or protect traffic turning right.

Where the marked area is bordered by an unbroken white line, you MUST NOT enter it except in an emergency"

Is this the junction?

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=51.491496,-0.496014&spn=0,0.033023&z=16&layer=c&cbll=51.491496,-0.496014&panoid=j7KUTeWEzIe1D5fbF_DHpg&cbp=12,350.76,,0,5

If it is then as Cobra11 says it is motorway and the unbroken white lines should not be crossed except in an emergency.

I did not see any signs to indicate this was also a motorway. When I entered the slip road from M25 did I leave the motorway?

You didn't see any signs to indicate it was also a motorway? When you drive into a town and are subject to a 30mph limit, how mant times do you see a sign to say you are still in a town and still subject to the same speed limit? You don't. As you joined the motorway originally (m25 for example) you were told it is a motorway and that it is subject to national speed limit. At some point you are told it is a variable speed limit too. As you leave the M25 and head along the slip road, there are signs which tell you that the variable speed limit ends. There is no sign to say it is still a motorway because you haven't left the motorway. Just because you are on a slip road does not mean you have left the motorway.

As for the 'verge', there are hatch markings to divide the two paths (M4 E and M4 W) and these are bordered by solid white lines, which you must not cross. There is also the standard solid white line to mark the edge of the carriageway which you also must not cross except in emergencies.

Yes. That is the spot.

Incidentally, I tend to slow down in a slip road so as not to fall foul of speed limits. I was looking to see the traffic behind me all the time and crossed the line and blew nearly 35 years of clean driving including no parking fines. So it is endorsement then. Gutted.

Lots of thanks for clearing up this confusion.

Yes. That is the spot.

Incidentally, I tend to slow down in a slip road so as not to fall foul of speed limits. I was looking to see the traffic behind me all the time and crossed the line and blew nearly 35 years of clean driving including no parking fines. So it is endorsement then. Gutted.

Where is the 'confusion'? I assume that you are aware of a publication called 'The Highway Code'. It has all the rules involving motorway driving in there including the use of slip roads and the meanings of the road markings and signs. I understand it is available from most good book shops.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Yes. That is the spot.

Sorry you lost your clean record, but following your statement they could have done you for driving without due care and attention. which could be up to 9 points.

Where is the 'confusion'? I assume that you are aware of a publication called 'The Highway Code'. It has all the rules involving motorway driving in there including the use of slip roads and the meanings of the road markings and signs. I understand it is available from most good book shops.

No need to pay for it, its free on the direct gov uk website ( cannot submit link)