Jump to content

Tax Underpayment Letters

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3570 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts


Has anyone had one of these yet? My son got an overpayment one last week and I have received an underpayment one. The number to call is an 0845 number and I waited 15 minutes for someone to connect!!


It would seem that my tax code is incorrect and that this happened because of my employer, however they are saying that they sent out tax code notifications to myself and also my employer and it is MY responsibility to ensure that THEY are using the correct tax code??? I am now going to use my right under data protection to ask for all my records, all letters sent out, when where etc but that has to be in writing, can anyone tell me the process please and the cost?


It would seem that this has happened mainly to those people on tax credits as back in 2003-2004 they were paid by the employer, when it changed over the tax codes should have been reduced accordingly but seems they have not been.


Any more advice you have would be appreciated.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello. Are you saying this underpayment was in 2003/4? You should have received 'coding notices' from HMRC every time yours changed. Did you keep them? That might be a good place to start, to see what allowances they gave you against tax and any benefits in kind that you might have had.


If you dig out something from the relevant tax year and post it here, I mean the bit that calculates what your coding is, I'll try to help you.



Illegitimi non carborundum




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Lorna


Welcome to CAG


You need to send a SAR Request with £10, they have 40 days to send you all the data they hold on you. If they fail to comply you can report them to the ICO.


Making a Subject Access Request letter



(Insert own address)


(Insert date)


(Insert organisation address)


To the company secretary (if contact unknown),


Re: (insert name and current address)


I am writing to make a subject access request under the Data Protection Act 1998 for any personal information you hold about me (or include specific details about the information you require here).


(Insert any information you think the organisation will need to find your information and to confirm your identity. For example, your employer may need your payroll number, and a hospital may need your NHS number; other organisations may require a document bearing your signature for example your passport or your driving licence).


Please inform me, prior to processing this request, if you require a fee to be paid.


I will look forward to receiving this information within 40 days.If you have any queries or questions then please contact me on (insert phone number/email address).



Yours faithfully,



(Insert own name)


· Remember to try to send your request by recorded delivery.

· Remember to keep a copy of the letter and any further letters you send or receive.

· A fee of no more than £10 may be payable, however this may increase depending on the information you have asked for, for example health records are charged at a higher fee.

· The information may be sent to you as a computer print out, in a letter or form.

· Please contact the ICO if you experience difficulty in getting your information.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

back later

Edited by Lorna2010
change content

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...