Tax Credit Anxieties

Shutsumon
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4972 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

First a bit of background. In 2001 both my parents, whom I had been caring for died within a few months. I promptly had a breakdown and spent the next few years on income support with disability premium (or whatever it's called).

After a period on anti-depressants and some cognitive behavioural therapy I got my current job in autumn 2004 and I got the disabled component of tax credit as well.

Every year I've renewed it when the pack came and they never once asked about my health until today (I even asked whether they needed proof I was still sick a couple of times and they said no) when I got a letter saying the needed to check the information I'd given them was right.

They wanted evidence of the qualifying benefits I had received last year (er? what I was working last year? no benefits) or details of how I qualify for the WTC disability element.

I rang up and spoke to them and the guy took details about my depression and said I'd get a letter soon and I didn't need to send anything but now I'm worried sick because I don't take anti-depressants any more except when it worsens. I was still on them when I first applied. Looking at the piece of paper with the qualifying conditions on it I'm not sure I qualify any more even though I still randomly break down in tears sometimes at my desk. I go to the doctors when it flares up and get support when I need it, but I'm not sure it classes as regular.

I could live with them stopping, I'd have to rework my budget but it's doable. Ditto if they want this year's payments back. But if they decide I wasn't entitled last year I'm totally screwed (pardon language). I don't know how I'd pay it back.

The stupid thing is them stressing me out this way is likely to put me back on the tablets . :-( I don't want to go back on the tablets.

Err, that was clever. I was so upset that I never finished the post.

Thing is my depression and anxiety has been worse recently. I've burst into tears at my desk and similar. I've been putting off going back to the doctor only because - as I said - I don't really want to go back on antidepressents.

I'd just about made my mind up to go back but now I fear they'll find the timing suspicious.

They haven't even made a decision yet but I've already convinced myself that they'll be chasing me for three grand I don't have and I can't stop myself worrying (anxiety sucks that way) about something that hasn't happened yet.

So I was hoping for some advice on what my options will be if I do find myself needing to pay back this money. :-(

Thanks,

Becky

Becky your doctor sounds like the best option, as he is aware of your condition as you said: "I go to the doctors when it flares up and get support when I need it, but I'm not sure it classes as regular."

It's possible that your doctor can qualify you as being sick, and entitled to this support., and that you medical records reflect this.

To qualify for the disability element of working tax credit, you need to be working over 16 hours, you have a disability that puts you at a disadvantage in getting a job as outlined in the factsheet here and you are receiving, or have recently received, a qualifying sickness or disability related benefit as stated in the factsheet.

If you have continually satisfied all three conditions, then you would qualify for the disability element.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)